Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 LFTR Energy (Liquid-Floride-Thorium-Reactor)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  18:01:59  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While no one source of information should never be considered sufficient, I would like to present this video here and hopefully Boron10 might have the time to view it and give a comment on the value of the "facts" presented and if this video is presenting the case as realistically and unbiased as possible based on the scientific facts available today.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  08:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a look at several pages and associated sources.

It is a valid reactor and was first tested in the 1960's. However, it did not produce the Pu that the bomb makers were looking for.

It is a breeder reactor and poses a risk to violating the non-proliferation treaty. U-233 isn't as bad as Pu but is still bad.

It's also a reactor that has more maintanance issues. Such as, you have to feed it and remove waste products more often. (Although handling and availability of fuel is better compared to on line reactors.)

The major issue that one runs into is the EPA and the NRC. NRC hasn't approved a new reactor design is a very long time. The anti-nuclear forces have been adamant in trying to block NRC and EPA approval of new reactors.

Boron would be knowledgeable about reactors in general and shipboard reactors are (according to my research of nearly 30 years ago) Cobalt reactors.

I am quite curious to see what Boran has to say. There may be some disadvantages or additional risks with this reactor type. Otherwise, I would have thought to see them pushed by energy companies (as they are far cheaper to feed than traditional reactors).

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  11:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I've heard a lot about Thorium reactors, but haven't had much reason to investigate them until now.

I'll get back to you with something more substantial later, but here are my initial thoughts:

Other than VD's comments about nonproliferation, there appears to be very little difference between a Thorium and a Uranium reactor.

I have only watched (so far) the first few minutes of the video, but it seems to confirm my above assertion.

Any fission-based reactor (as opposed to the currently impractical fusion-based reactors) will have radioactive byproducts and potential environmental concerns. The engineering solution proposed for this thorium reactor is only formally different (that is, not substantially different) from those currently in use in Uranium reactors, which are the vast majority in the world.

The speaker's criticism of Fukushima is unfounded, since the same arguments can be applied to his proposed Thorium reactor.

The physics looks sound, but it may take a little while to really understand the engineering. I'll keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  00:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

The speaker's criticism of Fukushima is unfounded, since the same arguments can be applied to his proposed Thorium reactor.
I don't understand. During the first 5 minutes Fukushima was mentioned once at 1:00 to 1:17. Is that what your referencing? All he says about Fukushima was that all though they had multiple backup generators to keep the cooling water circulating, the tsunami took all out and the three cores melted down. The LFTR reactor he describes doesn't have them because they aren't needed. If I got that right. At 2 hours long I can understand you'll need some time. Anyway thanks for the look see and comment for now.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  00:14:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

I took a look at several pages and associated sources.

It is a valid reactor and was first tested in the 1960's. However, it did not produce the Pu that the bomb makers were looking for.

It is a breeder reactor and poses a risk to violating the non-proliferation treaty. U-233 isn't as bad as Pu but is still bad.

It's also a reactor that has more maintanance issues. Such as, you have to feed it and remove waste products more often. (Although handling and availability of fuel is better compared to on line reactors.)

The major issue that one runs into is the EPA and the NRC. NRC hasn't approved a new reactor design is a very long time. The anti-nuclear forces have been adamant in trying to block NRC and EPA approval of new reactors.

Boron would be knowledgeable about reactors in general and shipboard reactors are (according to my research of nearly 30 years ago) Cobalt reactors.

I am quite curious to see what Boran has to say. There may be some disadvantages or additional risks with this reactor type. Otherwise, I would have thought to see them pushed by energy companies (as they are far cheaper to feed than traditional reactors).
Thanks for the comments. I know basically nothing on this.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  08:44:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I don't understand. During the first 5 minutes Fukushima was mentioned once at 1:00 to 1:17. Is that what your referencing?
Yes.
All he says about Fukushima was that all though they had multiple backup generators to keep the cooling water circulating, the tsunami took all out and the three cores melted down.
That was somewhat disingenuous of him. A more honest assessment would have been to point out that two of the six cores melted down, and it is very likely that a third did, too.
The LFTR reactor he describes doesn't have them because they aren't needed. If I got that right.
That does seem to be what he's saying, and it seems like a good idea; however, fission reactions burn hot. I assume he plans to use a molten salt for the coolant, similar to some solar plants. So his point that thorium is already a fluid at operation temperatures and pressures is similarly disingenuous. You still need to worry about containment, radioactivity, and cooling.
At 2 hours long I can understand you'll need some time. Anyway thanks for the look see and comment for now.
Of course, this is very interesting!

Despite this guy's seemingly liberal interpretation of the truth (sadly necessary for any sales pitch, it seems), there might be great value in investigating this engineering.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.