Fearbola
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  14:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The constant Ebola scares have been keeping Snopes.com really busy.

23 false stories and one mix.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  14:41:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Holy crap!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  06:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Holy crap!
"Invade the evil Ebola empire" made me chuckle. Poor Sarah has to deal with a shoe that fits.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  20:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New one: Doritos have not been Ebolized.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  14:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

New one: Doritos have not been Ebolized.

Now I'm craving corn chips. Damn you, Ebola!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  14:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An FB friend had this bit of 3rd hand nonsense to repeat.

Robyn, my nephew who is in the Army says 4 of his buddies from Ft. Campbell that were sent there now have Ebola. Hope they have a plan for treatment for our troups that Obama is deploying there!
I am getting too old and too cranky for this level of stupid. So...

Personally, I'd feel better if we had a source a little better than a second, maybe third, hand account that 4 US troops have ebola. I would certainly expect Fox News outrage by now if true. US troops primary mission is logistics and support. They should have no direct contact with ebola patients which is still the only way to get the virus.

The shame of all this is that fearbola does nothing to resolve the problem since its only purpose is to take advantage of ignorance.
and then this

Looks like I have to walk this back a little bit. Several dozen highly trained troops will help operate 7 mobile labs where they could be working with the blood of infected patients.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  14:00:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course, what we really need are fake news stories to add to the panic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  13:38:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some actual medical doctors tried to help with homeopathy. Except they didn't tell anyone that's what they'd planned to do before they showed up in country:
It turned out that no one in the hospital – or, it seems, the entire Liberian medical administration – had any idea that this team would be using homeopathy. The Liberian government had approved the expedition and issued visas on the basis that all four were medical doctors coming to support local staff.

So, Hiltner and his colleagues got in their jeeps and drove back and forth to Monrovia in a continued effort to sort out the paperwork. "It took over five hours to drive 100 miles – it was probably the scariest part of the trip," he tells me. "We did that journey five times in all."

But the authorities were clear: there was no way they were going to let Ebola patients be treated with what are essentially sugar pills soaked in water.
H/T PZ

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.