Spock is gone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  11:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leonard Nimoy, Spock of ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 83:
Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  11:29:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw. A long, prosperous and influential career indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  12:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunate. But inevitable.

So long Mr. Spock. Say "hello" to Mr. Scott for us.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  12:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awwww.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  21:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Shatner's missing the funeral.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  11:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad, but inevitable.

Or as someone said: "You lived long, and we prospered".

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  11:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

And Shatner's missing the funeral.

Let's not be too quick to fault him on that. Here are David Gerrold's thoughts on the matter:

So -- to the fans who engaged in some Shatner bashing, who complained because he's keeping his word to the Red Cross in Florida, or because didn't treat you like a long-lost brother when you were number 627 in the autograph line, or because you still think those books written by other people are accurate records of what really happened on the soundstage....

No. Just no.

I know Bill Shatner. We're on good terms. He's someone I admire and respect. Without him, a lot of us would not have had careers. He's an American treasure.

He is also a very private man. I think he's shy -- so shy that he has a blind spot. He doesn't know how to deal well with people one on one, he has to be Bill the star, Bill the performance.
(Those who've complained about the way he signs autographs at conventions -- he has to sign hundreds of autographs and he has to do it in a very short time -- and if you've ever had to sign hundreds of autographs, your hand can get tired very quickly. It's not a pleasant experience, It's a chore.)

Anyway, this is why he's a workaholic. It's his way of dealing with the world.

He's an entertainer. He's a terrific dramatic actor -- he's even better as a comic actor. He's had a longer career than most actors have been alive. And he has the skill of reinventing himself to the needs of the show.

Now -- here's something you need to know about the production of Star Trek.

Bill was the star. That meant he had to be in almost every scene. That meant he usually had 60 pages of script to learn EVERY FUCKING WEEK. He had to be there early every morning. (Only Nimoy had to be there earlier, to put on those damned ears.) If there was a makeup challenge, he would have to be there at 6am.

The rest of the cast did not have such a grueling schedule. They usually worked only two or three days per week. (Nimoy probably worked almost as many days as Shatner, because they shared a lot of scenes, but the burden still fell on Shatner's shoulders.)

In addition to having to learn 6 pages of dialog every day, Bill also had interviews, photo shoots, appearances, etc. to help promote the show. It was an exhausting schedule. I saw Bill on the set enough times to know that he worked very hard at keeping people's spirits up. He was playful, energetic, focused, and as hard a worker as you could ever want to share a soundstage with.

If he didn't have time to be buddy-buddy with the rest of the cast it's because he was a young man carrying a big-budget TV show on his shoulders and he didn't want to be the reason it failed, he wanted it to work, every moment of every episode.

That some of the actors wrote tell-all books ... well, okay -- they told all. What they told was how they experienced it. (And one of them said some very stupid stuff.)

But when Bill wrote his book, he was candid. He was honest. He admitted that he could have treated the others better. Indeed, he spoke better of the supporting cast than they spoke of him. To me, that's a mensch.

So if you want to bash William Shatner from your position of fannish infinite wisdom, please don't expect to be my friend. I was there. I've been there for almost half a century. You're talking about my family.

And from a friend of Gerrold:

From Paul Camuso:

I'm usually not one to comment but I will. For those that do not know me, I work with Bill Shatner on a weekly if not daily basis. Bill is feeling horrible that he is not able to attend Leonard's funeral tomorrow. I spoke with Bill this morning on the phone - did anyone else? I would bet they did not. Bill is honoring a pledge he made to a charity to appear tonight, they sold tickets based on the fact Bill was going to be there. This is their big fundraising event of the year where they bring in the bulk of their money to do good to the community they serve. To abandon them with less than 24 hours notice would be unthinkable. It would put the charity in a very bad position. There were no flights back so he's stuck. He is not happy about the situation but he is a professional who keeps his promise to a charity. David, I thank you for speaking out. I'm absolutely going to share your message with Bill, next week. Pax.

And more from Gerrold:

A thought from one of my friends, worth passing on:
"Do you really think Leonard Nimoy would want you saying bad things about his lifelong friend?"

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.