Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
Home Fan Mail Are you SO sure Skeptic Friend?
Menu
Skeptic Forums
Skeptic Summary
The Kil Report
Skeptillaneous
Creation/Evolution
About Skepticism
Fan Mail
Skepticality
Rationally Speaking
Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 06:48:45
Your Local Time:

Fan Mail
skeptic,fan mail,letters to editor,correspondence
Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Are you SO sure Skeptic Friend?

By Gabor
Posted on: 1/6/2003

All correspondence received by Skeptic Friends Network or its staff becomes the property of Skeptic Friends Network, and may be printed without the consent of the author.

Were we there? Yes, as "there" as anyone can be, and as "there" as any other investigator can be.

Re: SFN Article “Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down?

To:   Tommy Huxley
Date: September 25, 1999

It looks to me that you are not a true skeptic. You question the
young-Earth "creationist" side but, seem to be very confident that the
other side and "astronomy" are right. You also state with great
assurance that the speed of light was "NEVER" this or that. How come
you are so sure? WERE YOU THERE?

WERE ANY OF YOU THERE?

You seem to be a very firm believer in your religion.

To:   Gabor Horvath
Date: September 28, 1999
Do you believe that O.J. Simpson killed his wife Nicole and her friend Ron Goldman?

If so, how do you know? Were you there?

Or do you accept the forensic evidence that credibly verifies Simpson’s presence at their murders?

Should we abolish forensic science because police use “indirect” techniques to build cases against murder suspects when those same detectives weren’t there to witness those crimes to begin with?

Should we outlaw postmortems because forensic pathologists weren’t there to see how these victims died?

Can you see the inherent absurdity of your position?

As far as astronomy goes, I can say with confidence that yes, I was there, because astronomers only observe the past and never the present. And since the speed of starlight doesn’t exceed 186,282 miles per second, I can confidently say that the farther into space I look, the farther back in time I observe.

Finally, I don’t consider astronomy to be a religion because I accept the fact that the universe is more than 6,000 years old because of the evidence, not in spite of it!

(Sheesh, I sure do repeat myself!)

Back to Fan Mail

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds.