Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 22:47:55
Your Local Time:

Fan Mail
skeptic,fan mail,letters to editor,correspondence
Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

The Bible Answer Man

By David
Posted on: 1/18/2003

All correspondence received by Skeptic Friends Network or its staff becomes the property of Skeptic Friends Network, and may be printed without the consent of the author.

Tommy gets a chance to commiserate with another unsucessful caller to Hank's radio show.

Re: SFN Article “Tommy Debates the Bible Answer man

To:   Tommy Huxley
Date: Unknown

Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the website that you and
your crew have put together. I was particularly entertained by the
transcript of you and Hank Hanegraaff.

I'm a driver for the United States Postal Service that listens to the
"Bible Answer-Man" all the time. I'm also a philosophy student at the
University of Kansas.  The transcript that you included on the site
reminds me of so many of the dissident calls that Hanegraaff receives.
He is very fond of cutting people off before they can get their point
on the air. I can speak from personal experience.

About three months ago (June of '99), I called the "Bible Answer Man"
and actually got on the air. My concerns were regarding his continued
labeling of evolution as racist ideology. I barely got a word in
before he launched into a tirade similar to the one you experienced. I
was simply going to ask whether or not racism existed prior to the
publishing of "On the Origin of Species."

Needless to say, I never got what I would call a real answer.

Hanegraaff continually changed my question or simply piled on so many
questions for me that my original question was never answered. I've
noticed that this is a favorite tactic of Hanegraaff's anytime anyone
has a dissenting opinion (the trinity, God's existence, Eschatology,
etc.).

Once again, the website you have compiled is very impressive. I would
be very grateful if you could send me some additional information or
resources regarding the Skeptic Friends Network.

To:   David
Date: Unknown
I just read your letter responding to the transcript of my phone call to Hank Hanegraaff’s “Bible Answer-Man” show. I’m glad you liked it, especially since that will be the last time I call his show. (Talking to Hank is always an unpleasant experience.)

I also called Hank’s program three years ago and wrote a brief summary of that conversation in my essay, “Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution?

Now, in response to some of your specific points:
I’m a driver for the United States Postal Service that listens to the “Bible Answer-Man” all the time.
I used to think I was the only skeptic that listened to Creepy Christian Radio, but I’ve since exchanged e-mail with other agnostics that regularly follow Hank’s show. During long commutes, his show is perversely addictive.
The transcript that you included on the site reminds me of so many of the dissident calls that Hanegraaff receives. He is very fond of cutting people off before they can get their point on the air.
That’s especially true when he’s on the losing side of a debate. He’ll blitz his opponents with a rapid-fire barrage of unrelated questions to bewilder and disorient them before he cuts them off.

Hank’s not as smart as he pretends, especially when he has to discuss scientific topics he knows nothing about… like evolution!

Then he’ll shout, talk really fast, and tear off on irrelevant rabbit trails. He makes talk radio sound easy. Anybody can bullshit about stuff they know nothing about.
About three months ago (June of ’99), I called the “Bible Answer-Man” and actually got on the air. My concerns were regarding his continued labeling of evolution as racist ideology. I barely got a word in before he launched into a tirade similar to the one you experienced.
Shoot, I wish I could’ve heard that! I don’t listen to Hank as often as I used to, and I would’ve appreciated hearing someone besides me challenge him on that.

Hank’s promoted the “evolution-as-racism” rubbish for years, and I finally got fed up and confronted him on his historical distortions, but to no avail. In the past, Christian Protestants have promoted racism to far greater extremes than anyone else has.
I was simply going to ask whether or not racism existed prior to the publishing of “On the Origin of Species.”

Needless to say, I never got what I would call a real answer.

Hanegraaff continually changed my question or simply piled on so many questions for me that my original question was never answered.
Hah! That sounds familiar! During my phone call, I told Hank that institutional racism existed long before Darwin published his book in 1860, but Hank pretended not to hear that. He struggles with inconvenient facts.
I’ve noticed that this is a favorite tactic of Hanegraaff’s anytime anyone has a dissenting opinion (the Trinity, God’s existence, Eschatology, etc.).
I’ve noticed that, too. I was especially surprised when Hank refused to answer on-air questions about eschatology because he claimed, “I haven’t studied eschatology in enough detail to provide specific answers.”

That a weird response from somebody who calls himself the “Bible Answer-Man.” But later, Hank admitted that he’s writing a book on the subject.

That is why he won’t answer anybody’s questions! He wants his listeners to buy his expensive hardcover book, instead!
Once again, the web site you have compiled is very impressive.
Thanks for the compliment, but a lot of people have worked harder on this web site than I, and they appreciate your compliments, too.
I would be very grateful if you could send me some additional information or resources regarding the Skeptic Friends Network.
I guess all I can say is… tune-in regularly, and send one of us an e-mail if you have any specific questions.

Thanks again for writing!

Read or Add Comments about this Article

Back to Fan Mail

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.