Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 19:22:58
Your Local Time:

Fan Mail
skeptic,fan mail,letters to editor,correspondence
Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Miracle Thaw Tray

By Cleve156
Posted on: 2/13/2005

All correspondence received by Skeptic Friends Network or its staff becomes the property of Skeptic Friends Network, and may be printed without the consent of the author.

Taking issue with the criticism of a kitchen gadget.

Re: SFN Article “Miracle Thaw - The Bogus Miracle

Date: November 15, 2004

I was looking for another Miracle Thaw tray for a friend, who observed
me using mine, and happened to run across your article from 2002.

Apparently, I am one of the few people in the world who found this
tray to be effective; I've been using mine since they first came on
the market. The meat not only thaws more quickly than other methods,
but is still cool when the thawing is completed. Yes, I have other
options... one being the "defrost" cycle of my microwave, which I have
found often cooks the meat on the edges but also warms it. I also
tried your "test methods" - including Calaphon - none of which were as
efficient.

You must have been successful in convincing enough people of this
"bogus" item, since I see they no longer make the tray. I will be able
to get another one though, on EBay, unless you let them know it's a
fraud... so I guess I should do it right away. :-) You shouldn't
assume that just because something is sold on TV-only or through Ronco
that it's bogus. You also might try consulting a few cooks before you
do your final analysis.

I also could live without the Veg-o-matic and the Kitchen Magician, in
view of all the fancy new do-it-all cost-a-fortune processors out
there now, but these "old" as-seen-on-TV items have been a mainstay in
my kitchen for years.

By the way... I am a gourmet cook, not a "gadget freak."

To:   Cleve156
Date: November 16, 2004
Hi there, and thanks for writing.

Allow me to comment on your letter. I think it’s possible that you misunderstood what I was saying about the “Miracle Thaw” tray.
I was looking for another Miracle Thaw tray for a friend, who observed me using mine, and happened to run across your article from 2002.
Many people have. Most have thanked me for the information.
Apparently, I am one of the few people in the world who found this tray to be effective; I’ve been using mine since they first came on the market. The meat not only thaws more quickly than other methods, but is still cool when the thawing is completed. Yes, I have other options… one being the “defrost” cycle of my microwave, which I have found often cooks the meat on the edges but also warms it. I also tried your “test methods” — including Calaphon — none of which were as efficient.
I happen to have a Miracle Thaw tray, given to me by a friend. I have done the ice cube test against several pans and it gets its best competition from thick dark pans. I have a cast-iron skillet that simply blows it away. But my point was not to prove that the tray doesn’t work. It was to demonstrate that it is merely a good conductor of ambient temperature. No miracle there. But there is this: to avoid bacterial build up, no meat should be defrosted in this way. I prefer defrosting in the refrigerator, but I will use my microwave in a pinch. The trick is to learn how to use the microwave for defrosting or it will cook the edges, as you stated. As for it being a little warm on the inside, try the fridge. (Since I am usually planning to cook the meat anyway, being a little warm on the inside has never been a problem for me.)
You must have been successful in convincing enough people of this “bogus” item, since I see they no longer make the tray. I will be able to get another one though on EBay, unless you let them know it’s a fraud… so I guess I should do it right away. :-)
Could it be that they were dangerous? Also, I never said the tray was a fraud. I said the tray isn’t a miracle and it isn’t necessary to own one if you have reasonably thick pans and you are inclined to disregard the health risks associated with thawing meat at room temperature.
You shouldn’t assume that just because something is sold on TV-only or through Ronco that it’s bogus. You also might try consulting a few cooks before you do your final analysis.
I don’t assume anything. I’m a skeptic. I have nothing against the “Ronco Pocket Fisherman.”
I also could live without the Veg-o-matic and the Kitchen Magician, in view of all the fancy new do-it-all cost-a-fortune processors out there now, but these “old” as-seen-on-TV items have been a mainstay in my kitchen for years.
No problem. I do love my “Cuisinart Classic” with the smaller feed tube, a good set of knives and reasonably good cookware. I have a couple gadgets that I like too. Mostly purchased at yard sales. Go figure.
By the way… I am a gourmet cook, not a “gadget freak.”
Me too. That’s how I knew what pans to suggest the clerk try for a real ice cube test against the “Miracle Thaw” tray as a much fairer test than comparing the results using a cookie sheet as the control pan. If I knew then what I know now, I would have sent him for a cast-iron pan.

To:   David Glück (Kil)
Date: November 17, 2004

Thanks for your courteous reply and for not taking offense. I think I
was  frustrated in being unable to find another tray - although I have
now. My problem is that I often think of something I want to prepare
at the last minute  and, of course, the meat is in the freezer!
Normally, I do the defrosting in the fridge.

Actually, I am happy to have found your website and will be interested
in reading future columns.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Read or Add Comments about this Article

Back to Fan Mail

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.