Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  11:57:27  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
"An object in motion shall remain in motion...."
Until it encounters the rear end of another car at 30mph.
Way to go, Megan. Keep lotion on that chin and it shouldn't scab to badly.
(Photos upon request)
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  13:10:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ouch!

Another of life's lesons learned in a way that it will not be soon forgotton.

Hoping for a speedy recovery and not too many sore spots.

f

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."

- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  08:19:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Hoping for a speedy recovery and not too many sore spots.
I second that

-me.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  09:32:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
That is one of the hardest ways to learn physics. But one way that you will never forget.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  09:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Inertia is one of the more nasty parts of physics.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the legal age for drivers was 16?

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:20:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Most rural areas have a legal driving age of 14.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Here in SD, you can get a learner's permit at 14. Once completed driver's ed, ($200) a kid can have a restricted license. It allows for driving during the day. I think its 0600-2000.
At 16 the license is unrestricted.
Megan has a license for car and motorcycle. She'll be 16 in Oct. (With probably a bit less of a lead foot)
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  14:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
14?! Yikes, baby drivers, I'm staying put in the city. But I'm glad if she did have to have an accident that it was in the car and not on the motorcycle.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  14:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Makes some sense if you think about it. Where I grew up in Virginia, we could get a learner's permit at 15 and 8 months. Four months later, a totally unrestricted license.
By the time Megan is 16 and gets her unrestricted license, she'll have nearly two years of driving (and hopefully only one accident) under her belt.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  14:15:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Living in Manhattan I got my first drivers license when I was 36. Although admittedly in the time I sent in Asia and the South Pacific as a callow beardless youth I was a bit of a mad man on a motor cycle. (Why do they call them "motor"cycles when they don't have motors--they have engines?)

-------
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  14:44:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

Here in SD, you can get a learner's permit at 14. Once completed driver's ed, ($200) a kid can have a restricted license. It allows for driving during the day. I think its 0600-2000.
At 16 the license is unrestricted.

That is so unfair! 200$ for a drivers license at 14? In Germany you have to be at least 18 and pay about ten to fifteen times as much for it. At least that means that at this points most youth have had several years experience legally getting drunk when they are first left behind the wheel.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  14:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Lars, in the US we do everything ass backwards like that. First, the drinking age is hiked up to a ridiculous age that virtually no one obeys, least of all teenagers, and then kids are given the ability to drive autos. One way to look at it is a funky American method of population control.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  15:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
You can't get drunk legally here until you are 21. But you can join the army at 17 (parents permission) or 18

-------
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  15:04:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Oh, and the other funny thing about our drinking age laws is that since teenagers want to drink but it's illegal you end up drinking away from home, usually in your car. So basically we encourage drunk driving!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Wiley
Skeptic Friend

68 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  15:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wiley a Private Message
Ouch. And you'll get to learn another law of physics: what goes up, must come down, except insurance premiums.

I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery. Thirty mph doesn't seem very fast until you're in an accident.

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  16:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
hope you're healing well, Megan, and hope that the damage isn't too bad

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.