Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  10:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
WOW! You uncovered a jewel, Lars.

Chinese Moon landing hoaxes. I can hardly wait!

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Physiofly
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  20:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Physiofly a Private Message
According to James Oberg China doesn't have the technology or the funds to land a man on the moon (if they land a man at all).

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992298

"Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a
deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  06:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
"They don't have the budget or the technology," Oberg told New Scientist.

Oberg is familiar with the details of the Communist Chinese budget and what technology they possess?! He must have high level intelligence access! [of course, I could be wrong and this information could be easily attained, but I wouldn't think so...]

I'm a bit skeptical of his statement as an authoritative source.

------------

Truth above pride and ego; truth above all

Edited by - tokyodreamer on 05/23/2002 06:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  07:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
I'm sure budget battles in the Chinese Politbureau don't resemble those in Congress by any stretch of the imagination. If they want to budget a moon landing at the expense of more urgent domestic programs they will, period. Don't forget the prestige angle. The Chinese want to show the West that they are as every bit as techno-savy as we are.

PUBLIC SERVICE BULLETIN:
On the outside chance that James Oberg is right, would the Chinese equivalent of Bart Sibrel, Piper and other HBers please step forward. The time to get your pressed ducks in a row is now. You want to be ready to embarrass the illustrious Politbureau when they quietly send out the word to "FAKE IT".

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Physiofly
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  17:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Physiofly a Private Message
quote:
Oberg is familiar with the details of the Communist Chinese budget and what technology they possess?! He must have high level intelligence access! [of course, I could be wrong and this information could be easily attained, but I wouldn't think so...]

I'm a bit skeptical of his statement as an authoritative source.

While China's purchasing power has grown considerably (2000 GDP purchasing power parity of $4.5 trillion - data from CIA World Factbook 2001) they probably have the money if, as mentioned, they divert funds from other areas. But investment in their space program isn't just for prestige. China is also heavily investing in its military, and building big rockets certainly has military value.

You can check out Oberg's bio at www.jamesoberg.com. He's considered an authority on Russian space technology, but how deep that authority goes I don't know. Be that as it may, even though the Chinese claim their spacecraft are Chinese designed and built they are really just upgraded copies of Russian designs.

"Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a
deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  12:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
While China claims, that they are actively persuing plans to build a moonbase, enviromentalists in the US are lobbying for declaring the moon a World Heritage Site. Other group are for a allowing large scale indutrial projects on the moon.

More in this Wall Streez Journal article

Go to Top of Page

Paulnib68

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  17:33:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulnib68's Homepage  Send Paulnib68 a Yahoo! Message Send Paulnib68 a Private Message
quote:

While China claims, that they are actively persuing plans to build a moonbase, enviromentalists in the US are lobbying for declaring the moon a World Heritage Site. Other group are for a allowing large scale indutrial projects on the moon.

More in this Wall Streez Journal article

Anyone read "The Man Who Sold The Moon" by Heinlein?

First thing I thought of when I read the story of the Chinese going for the moon. Seems the Chinese should have it a lot easier than we did. All the real work has been done. They just gotta build the hardware.

Skeptics Tricks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.