Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Astronomy
 We haven't had a good Crop Circle yarn in while...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  14:17:06  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The official story
Officially, what happened to the Larges' wheat field was "criminal damage to property," according to the Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department.
A deputy investigating the site believed the wheat was flattened by vandals riding all-terrain vehicles, according to the incident report.
But Sheriff Maury Straub viewed the crop circles from a plane flown by a neighbor of the Larges. He said it's more likely that someone walked into the field and flattened it using boards and ropes, moving about in circular patterns - a technique described on Internet sites.
That explanation didn't fly with Reed - the visitor to the site from Illinois - who talked to Straub on the phone. He said the sheriff was "tight-lipped about the formation" and it "seemed like Straub was in a hurry to finish the conversation." More........

http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/movies/jun02/48521.asp

f

If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend, millions of people will go to hell.
-- Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, 20 May 1988

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  14:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
I hope they get those alien vandals... or the interdimensional visitors or the angels or the Men in Black or whoever else is behind the crop circles.

Go to Top of Page

jec96
Skeptic Friend

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  14:54:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jec96 a Private Message
Damn, the sheriff is in on it! The aliens and/or the MIB must have got to him...

-It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  17:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Who all lives out here in the midwest? Let's have some fun.
Lisa

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of smart.
Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  18:33:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

Who all lives out here in the midwest? Let's have some fun.
Lisa

Hee hee. Years ago, right after my local cohorts and I formed our top secret skepto-conspiracy, the Piltdown Men, one of our first projects was a crop circle. The plan was to form a circle with two intersecting lines on the inside. One of these would be oriented toward magnetic north and would pass through the circle to form a short arrow. The other would be oriented east and west. The latitude and longitude of the circle (determined with a friend's handy GPS receiver) would be marked in appropriately sized binary digits on the south side of the circle. The idea was to let the mystery percolate for a while, then clue the local media in to the meaning of the symbols.
Unfortunately, somebody came along and mowed the pasture we plannned to use, so we shelved the plan. There was some feeling that this was a pretty silly thing for people our age to be doing, but I am not sure now and the plan may be revived. Feel free to stamp one of these out yourself, the more the better.

Authority has every reason to fear the skeptic, for authority can rarely survive in the face of doubt.
-Robert Lindner

Edited by - Piltdown on 06/05/2002 18:35:06
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  18:41:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A more devious mind than mine, I fear.

Hey Piltdown, weren't you in on, or at least in the know, of the allosaurus-eating-hominid flim-flam that kind'a stirred the ICR up one April Fools a while back?

I loved that one!

f

Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it.... Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory.
-- Rev. Jimmy Swaggart (source unknown)

Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  21:10:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
The people who make these things have admitted to it. The method has been demonstrated on live TV and explained repeatedly on the Internet. And yet some people persist in claiming there is some kind of big mystery involved. I just don't get it.

Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  00:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

A more devious mind than mine, I fear.

Hey Piltdown, weren't you in on, or at least in the know, of the allosaurus-eating-hominid flim-flam that kind'a stirred the ICR up one April Fools a while back?

I loved that one!

Regrettably, I wasn't involved in that one. It was really a masterpiece. Conspira-wackies of all kinds should rest assured, however, that there are plots and plans aplenty to help them make fools of themselves.

Authority has every reason to fear the skeptic, for authority can rarely survive in the face of doubt.
-Robert Lindner
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  03:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
Feel free to stamp one of these out yourself, the more the better.

I'd love to, but for some reason those artistic little aliens don't seem to care much for mud, and neither do I. I guess that's why we've never had a crop circle, (at least, one that I've heard of), in the rice and cane fields of So. Louisiana.

"The Constitution ..., is a marvelous document for self-government by Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society." P. Robertson
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  06:32:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
The alien crop circle makers appear to be extremely limted in their intelligence. They must have scrambled their brain cells in their constant leaps thorugh inter-galactic worm holes and space-time dimensional shifts.

To wit:

Community service
Why can't they make a "crop circle" that flattens the grass on my front lawn? At least once a week would be nice. More often if there is a lot of rain.

Diversity

Circles, circles, circles. Can't they think of anything else? How about about some triangles or polygons? How about some convoluted polyhedrons? How about 3D representation on a 2D surface with perspective. Oh, wait a minute. That would be art. Sorry.

Communication

Circles with no message? How about binary notation with ones and zeros. They've already made the zeros using circles. Now add vertical lines to form a message.

Boring! That what the aliens are. Artistically challanged. Primitive communication skills. Unwilling to use different media; corn or soy bean fields, rice patties, desert sand dunes. etc.
Bah! Humbug!

P.S. for Lisa. I live in Northeast Ohio in Amish country. I'm trying to convince my Amish neighbor to do some crop circles as a prank. You can cover a helluva lot more ground with a Belgian draft horse than you can on foot. Stay tuned.

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Paulnib68

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  12:34:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulnib68's Homepage  Send Paulnib68 a Yahoo! Message Send Paulnib68 a Private Message
Well, reports outta pick up soon what with ol Mel's movie coming out soon. Just what is needed, more media hype.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/nib68/index.html">Skeptics Tricks</a>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.