New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NottyImp
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  02:05:15  Show Profile Send NottyImp a Private Message
... got a de-bunking resource on this "flying rods" phenomenon?

We were treated to an hour-long programme on Sky 1 (a high-profile digital channel this side of the pond) about them last night. It was of course extremely credulous with no independent comment aside from "rod belivers", and nothing resembling a scientific analysis of the footage presented.

One amusing moment came when the explanation for why we've never noticed them before (despite the fact that some are alleged to be 30 feet in length) was that they "fly so fast we wouldn't have been able to see them wothout video cameras".

"My body is a temple - I desecrate it daily."

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  02:57:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Randi has been discussing misinterpreted photography- and video-artefacts in his colum for the last few weeks.

I don't know of anyone who would take this nonsense seriously enough to make an indepth webpage about it.

They should net sell photocameras to people, who don't understand how they work.

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  04:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Speaking of mis-interpretation of photography, a "ghost hunter" friend of my wife's spent the weekend with us and was showing me some of his "spirit photography." I have no doubt that one could interpret these blurry patches of light to be anything one could imagine them to be, but I don't know enough about how cameras work to explain how these images appear when one photographs, for instance, a dark graveyard without any background lighting. I'm sure that there is a scientific explanation.

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  09:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Some of the photography problems depend entirely on what's in the photo. For instance, with the graveyard, to take a photo under lighting conditions that poor a long exposure (slow shutter speed) and high film speed are required. Now, high speed films are grainy to start (added problems there, especially if you attempt to enlarge the photos - though they are getting better) and if the camera moves with the shutter open.... What you could be seeing is an artefact from the flash, if flash were used or anomolous reflected light. If I recall, most paranormal photography requires 'multiple exposures' or 'extended exposure', which leads to strage things showing up under normal conditions. Without seeing the photos themselves it's hard to tell what the 'light patches' could be besides spirits.

Now that I've tripped my way through something that should be fairly simple and straight forward and made it utterly confusing - I'll apologize.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.