I've got a tough one here.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  22:22:58  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
I believe in absolute separation of church and state, and for those of you familiar with me you'll know that I ain't too hot on the continued existence of religion either.

So here's my problem. A few years ago, during my driving instructor days, I had a student who had recently escaped from Kurdistan and come to Canada to have a better life. He was a harmless enough fellow, who lived simply, followed the better dictates of the Koran (charity and all that), and caused no harm to anyone. A while back he was mentioned on the news here. It seems he has had his refugee case reviewed by the Canadian government, and for some ridiculous technicality they want to ship him back. Anyone who knows anything about the treatment of Kurds would shudder at the thought. (As an aside, we constantly hear about flagrant criminals being allowed to stay here; it often seems as if the Canadian immigration department is the most inflexible bureaucracy to ever exist) Well, it appears he sought refuge in a church. As a result he can't be grabbed, and as long as he stays there he is safe.

I think you all see the quandary that I'm in. Here is an institution I don't like, performing a service that puts it in direct conflict with my church/state views, and it seems to be the right thing.

Help me folks, cuz I'm really confused.

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  22:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Unfortunately, bureaucracy is bureaucracy. The separation of church and state is a good thing. Otherwise we could be living under the rule of some very strange individuals who will force their particularly cruel dogmas down our throats. The church in many instances has served a purpose that the state does not. This is one of those times, refuge.

Can he not apply for asylum or someone choose to sponsor him as a citizen. I'm unsure of how the Canadian gov views these issues. Here in the states a trial is required to sort that out. So deportation in some instances is not immediate.

As far as your quandry... The separation of church and state still exists here. Just instead of the church not infringing in governmental realms the state is not infringing in the realm of the church. Asylum in a church is still a commonly accepted practice in many places.

Don't know if this helps or not?

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2001 :  03:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Does Canada officially recognize the Church refuge? I don't think that a religious institution should have that right, but when the state screws up, and wants to sent people back to place where they are likely to be imprisoned or killed I will gladly protest for the "church asylum". Lesser of two evils (at least in the short run).

Also what part of Kurdistan is he from? Would they sent him back to Irak or are they planing to sent him into the relative safety of Turkey where Kurds are persecuted by a NATO ally.

- Lars

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2001 :  22:38:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

Can he not apply for asylum or someone choose to sponsor him as a citizen.

That failed. He doesn't have any other family here to help him. Funny thing is, if he had committed some heinous crime and made bail he would be able to stay for as long as it took to sort out the legal wranglings. In the meantime he could also marry, or in some other way arrange to stay. As it is he's unfortunately law-abiding and harmless.

Translation; our government will screw him over royally.

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2001 :  22:43:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

Does Canada officially recognize the Church refuge? I don't think that a religious institution should have that right, but when the state screws up, and wants to sent people back to place where they are likely to be imprisoned or killed I will gladly protest for the "church asylum". Lesser of two evils (at least in the short run).

Also what part of Kurdistan is he from? Would they sent him back to Irak or are they planing to sent him into the relative safety of Turkey where Kurds are persecuted by a NATO ally.

- Lars

I don't believe in them having that right either, and that's why I'm having so much trouble with this. And if I remember him correctly he would be sent to Iraq.

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.