Creation/Evolution
 The "new" fossil, Sahelanthropus tchadensis
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sven62

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  17:58:50  Show Profile  Send Sven62 an AOL message Send Sven62 a Private Message
Another ancient hominid fossil was found in Chad. Estimated to be 6 - 7 million years old. Almost twice as old as "Lucy" (Australopithecus afarensis). And it's found in the north-central part of Africa, not in the east. I heard one anthropologist talking about it. He was saying it may be that the Australopithecines are not our direct ancestors after all. This is HUGE!!! He said that this may show that "we know nothing."

All I have to say about this new find is...
COOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! I friggin' LOVE this!! In the face of new evidence we may have to totally drop a current understanding in favor of a better one.

Ciao!
Sven

When Ah say whoa... Ah meeeeean... WHOA!!
- Yosemite Sam as he clobbers the camel that refuses to stop galloping blindly ahead.

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  20:18:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Awww man, think of all the students that took their finals and unknowingly gave wrong answers!!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  20:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
[http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/07/10/ancient.skull/index.html]

Saw this link over at the BABB and thought it would be appropriate here (don't ask me what it has to do with astronomy )

Edited by - espritch on 07/10/2002 20:34:56
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  21:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Very exciting stuff. Here is a pretty good story on it:

Skull Fossil From Chad Forces Rethinking of Human Origin

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/07/0710_020710_chadskull.html

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  22:06:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
YES!!I'm still hunting for more literature on it.

I love it when the scientists revise their thinking. That's the best of all proofs of evolution.

f

Evolution is such a simple idea, almost anyone can misunderstand it. -- Theodore Dobzhansky
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  05:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
Another ancient hominid fossil was found in Chad. Estimated to be 6 - 7 million years old. Almost twice as old as "Lucy" (Australopithecus afarensis). And it's found in the north-central part of Africa, not in the east. I heard one anthropologist talking about it. He was saying it may be that the Australopithecines are not our direct ancestors after all. This is HUGE!!! He said that this may show that "we know nothing."[Sven62]

Sorry Sven,

In our pop science culture, unless they give the skull a "cute" name, backed by good lyrics and a rock beat, the theory will never catch on.

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  18:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Just watch the Creationists/IDers make a mess of this early hominid finding in Chad as described in:

*A new hominid from the Upper Miocene of Chad, Central Africa* -- Michel Brunet, et al. (what follows is a long, long, long list of *et al.* names).

I just know that the true-believers are bound to misquote, misunderstand, misstate, mis-_________ (whatever -- you fill in the blank). Already, in the popular press, there is a great misunderstanding accompanied by an attempt to *spin* the information toward the Intelligent Designers' (IDers') favor. For those IDers who believe that this new hominid find is going to disprove evolution -- I have news for them...

On the AOL Welcome screen there is reference to the hominid find, but when I clicked on the choices for discussion, there were no obviously-pro-evolution choices. I can just imagine the silliness which is bound to transpire in the mass media (a kind of oxymoron).

Really, having been a skeptic for as long as I can remember (before the age of 2, for certain), I am not a real fan of skepticism. It is boring to have to wade through so much baloney. I do not expect any of the anti-scientific folk to change their ideas through understanding of science, so I prefer to let them wallow in the mud of ignorance. Of course, I realize that they will attempt to take mankind back to its primitive origins, but wading through their nonsense to challenge them is boring beyond the pale!

ljbrs :( :( :(

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  19:33:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Then again, SCIENCE (all kinds) is another story and is continuously fascinating and never boring. NATURE, 11 July 2002, really covered Sahelanthropus tchadensus in triplicate:

Check out the coverage there about the subject in this thread, the 6 to 7 million-year-old-skull from Chad. There is a discussion in *news and views*: *Hominid revelations from Chad,* by Bernard Wood, (pp. 133-135), and research articles: "A new hominid from the Upper Miocene of Chad, Central Africa" by M. Brunet, et al., (pp. 145-151), and "Geology and paleontology of the Upper Miocene Toros-Menalla hominid locality, Chad" by P. Vignaud, et al; (pp. 152-155).

WOW!

I am certain that the CREATIONISTS will find something boring to write/say about this (if they are yet aware of it). Poor things! Before this find, they were working on a time scale of no more than 2 million years. However, the new time scale of 6 to 7 million years will really make them lose sleep!

Of course, they will believe that this is all a scientific conspiracy to contradict their deity once again. They will need to learn to spell it: Sahelanthropus tchadensus! That is quite a bit of spelling.

I guess I need to crawl back into my protective scientific shell in order to forget about the silly ideas going around in so many people's minds in Never-Never Land.

ljbrs

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Trekkie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  21:23:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trekkie a Private Message
I'm not quite sure what possessed the writer of the Web article to use a subhead "New-found skull could sink our current ideas about human evolution." I mean, that's prime fodder for selective quote-mining.

http://www.nature.com/nsu/020708/020708-12.html

To boldly go...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.