Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Existence (Ooooh boy . . .)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Satan

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Send Satan an AOL message Send Satan a Private Message
Poll Question:
One of the most apparent propositions is that we exist. It is also one of the most complex if disputed. David Hume suggested that the only thing proven to exist is thought, and that we cannot even assume that there is a thinker! What do you think? What can we be sure exists?

Results:
Thoughts Only (Hume Rocks!)   [0%] 0 votes
Myself (Cogito, Ergo Sum)   [14%] 2 votes
The Physical World (Materialism)   [43%] 6 votes
The Mind   [7%] 1 vote
Body And Mind   [0%] 0 votes
Everything That Is Perceived   [21%] 3 votes
None Of The Above   [14%] 2 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 14 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/28/2005 18:54:59 

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  19:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
Hume was a funny guy sometimes. 'Thoughts' are by definition the outcomes of thinking.

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Satan

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  20:07:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Satan an AOL message Send Satan a Private Message
Perhaps "thoughts" is an inaccurate term describing the phenomena, then. Should I employ "ideas" instead?

How do you know that an idea has to originate from a thinker?

Satan,
a.k.a. the Talking Snake Whom Atheists, Witches, Muslims, and Puerto Ricans Worship (If You Ask Anyone In This State)
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  20:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

How do you know that an idea has to originate from a thinker?

We don't, of course, because it's a negative existential claim. We don't know there aren't un-thought ideas floating around in space. What we do have is an empirical case: 100% of the ideas we know about have come from a thinker.

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  03:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
As Spock on Star Trek pointed out in Vulcan Philosophy "Nothing unreal exists" There is no question as to existence to me. What I question is if thought exists. I see less and less proof of thought and just blind mindless existence.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  04:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
I am a pragmatic solipsist. I don't really see any proof that anything other then my own consciousness exists, but I am humoring what are possible my own delusions by playing along with this supposed reality.

Go to Top of Page

Satan

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  17:25:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Satan an AOL message Send Satan a Private Message
quote:

We don't, of course, because it's a negative existential claim. We don't know there aren't un-thought ideas floating around in space. What we do have is an empirical case: 100% of the ideas we know about have come from a thinker.

Perhaps we are being deceived when we believe in our physical existence. Perhaps the ideas we perceive do not really originate from any thinker, but only appear to.

Besides, give me one "empirical" observation of an idea, and prove to me that it originates from a thinker.

Satan,
a.k.a. the Talking Snake Whom Atheists, Witches, Muslims, and Puerto Ricans Worship (If You Ask Anyone In This State)
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  18:07:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Satan:

quote:

Perhaps we are being deceived when we believe in our physical existence. Perhaps the ideas we perceive do not really originate from any thinker, but only appear to.

Besides, give me one "empirical" observation of an idea, and prove to me that it originates from a thinker.

Perhaps your own ideas do not originate from a *thinker*, but I shall leave all proofs that you actually made a statement to be up to you to verify. I am aware that a statement has been made and that I have observed the statement. If I had been a member of any other species, or a member of Homo Sapiens Sapiens who spoke and/or wrote only in another language, then I would would be totally unaware of your statement (if indeed you wrote one).

I will go with the scientists and believe in the physical world and in our ability to make some sense of it. You can go along believing that, perhaps, you are the only individual who can be certain of existence and not be actually certainly certain at that.

It makes no matter to me, because I shall keep being amazed by the scientific discoveries of other scientists, all of the time realizing that their ideas are not originating in my own head.

Suit yourself, but I think that such a notion is profound (deep, beyond understanding) and should be entered into very, very carefully to make certain that our (questionable) brains do not all fall out in the process.

In a certain number of months/years/decades I shall no longer exist, and such a question would not enter my decaying head at that time.

Cheers!

ljbrs

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  18:19:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

I can think of a lot more satisfying way to masturbate. Perhaps I'm showing my age...

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  19:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

What's the difference if it's empirically unverifiable?

quote:

Close your eyes and picture your mother. You are now observing an idea. The only ideas I can observe are those I am thinking.

-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2002 :  19:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Kil:

quote:
I can think of a lot more satisfying way to masturbate. Perhaps I'm showing my age...

I will bet that my age is older than yours. However, there will be no way to determine this, since I will not fill in the details about this as proof.

ljbrs

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.