Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Interactive SFN Forums
 Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Jack the Ripper: Prince or complete nutter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  01:05:03  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
Poll Question:
Who was Jack the Ripper? Some say he was a Jewish immigrant who went insane and was detained under another name, some say he was a doctor, others that he was a sickly prince, or even a woman?
Was he just an insane loner, or was there a cover up to hide a darker, more sinister truth about his identity?
If you have any other suspects, post them up as well, there's only room for 8 here.

Results:
Aaron Kosminski - Polish/Jewish barber, Id'ed as David Cohen, menatl patient   [31%] 22 votes
Michael Ostrog - Russian doctor who went a bit loopy himself   [11%] 8 votes
Montague John Druitt - lawyer who jumped off a bridge into the Thames   [3%] 2 votes
James Maybrick - murdered by his wife, supposed author of the diary   [11%] 8 votes
The Duke of Clarence - the Royal suspect   [6%] 4 votes
Dr. William Gull - physician to Queen Victoria   [18%] 13 votes
France Tumblety - widely reported in US as being chased by Scotland Yard   [6%] 4 votes
The Pleidians - before they decided to mutilate cattle and visit Billy Meier   [14%] 10 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 71 counted  »»   Last Vote: 09/22/2004 07:05:08 

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  06:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Who was Jack the Ripper? Some say he was a Jewish immigrant who went insane and was detained under another name, some say he was a doctor, others that he was a sickly prince, or even a woman?
Was he just an insane loner, or was there a cover up to hide a darker, more sinister truth about his identity?
If you have any other suspects, post them up as well, there's only room for 8 here.

A merchant sailor. There was a question on whether he was stuck there for a while and then moved on. No one looked for a MO similar in other port cities.

Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  07:11:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
I see the person who voted for the Duke of Clarence is lacking in a little skeptism. He was at Balmoral for at least one of the killings (I think it was actually two), unless of course he had a REALLY fast horse.

Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  09:29:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

I see the person who voted for the Duke of Clarence is lacking in a little skeptism. He was at Balmoral for at least one of the killings (I think it was actually two), unless of course he had a REALLY fast horse.

Quite right, it was two. His presence there was widely reported and he made a number of public appearances. I voted for Kosminski. This was the unanimous opinion of a group of jurists and historians who examined the evidence for a television documentary some years ago. In a private note written many years after the killings, one of the chief investigators named Kosminski as the suspect who had been identified by the sole eye witness in the case. Kosminski was a butcher by trade, he lived in the neighborhood, he had a history of violence against prostitutes, and, most compellingly, the killings stopped when he was locked up. None of this, of course, is conducive to continued sales of Ripper books and videos.
For those unfamiliar with British geography, it's something like 500 miles from London to Balmoral as the maniac flies, a lot farther by 1880s choo-choo.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  00:27:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
quote:

Quite right, it was two. His presence there was widely reported and he made a number of public appearances. I voted for Kosminski. This was the unanimous opinion of a group of jurists and historians who examined the evidence for a television documentary some years ago. In a private note written many years after the killings, one of the chief investigators named Kosminski as the suspect who had been identified by the sole eye witness in the case. Kosminski was a butcher by trade, he lived in the neighborhood, he had a history of violence against prostitutes, and, most compellingly, the killings stopped when he was locked up. None of this, of course, is conducive to continued sales of Ripper books and videos.
For those unfamiliar with British geography, it's something like 500 miles from London to Balmoral as the maniac flies, a lot farther by 1880s choo-choo.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.

And even further and longer by a 2001 British choo choo.

Just a bit of trivia, that note by that investigator I think you are referring to was the MacNaughton Memorandom, written in 1892 or 1894 by Sir Melville MacNaughton, Head of Scotland Yard.

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  21:15:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Since this is the conspiracy theories forum, I'm surprised that no one has given the all-purpose guaranteed conspiracy theorist reply and snake-bite remedy:

It was the CIA, of course.

Yes, I know the CIA didn't exist at the time, but don't forget the time travel technology reverse-engineered from the crashed saucer at Area 51...

I think I need a little more snake-bite remedy.

Boris Karloff died for your sins.
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  01:52:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
Maybe they were helped by the Plieidians, shall we ask Billey Meier?

quote:

Since this is the conspiracy theories forum, I'm surprised that no one has given the all-purpose guaranteed conspiracy theorist reply and snake-bite remedy:

It was the CIA, of course.

Yes, I know the CIA didn't exist at the time, but don't forget the time travel technology reverse-engineered from the crashed saucer at Area 51...

I think I need a little more snake-bite remedy.

Boris Karloff died for your sins.

Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  11:17:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
I am not a Ripper expert by a long shot, but I voted for Maybrick.

I remember the television show and the unanimous vote for Kosminski. While I do not recall details, I do remember being struck by the apparent racism of the vote. In the few minutes prior to the actual vote of the panelists, they recapped the evidence and to whom it seemed to point. NONE of the panelists said that the majority or even the preponderance of the evidence pointed to Kosminski yet all of them voted for him.

To be fair, though, I think this occurred prior to the 'diary' which I admit is not proven by a long shot as genuine. But as a simple hobbyist reading what's interesting, it's as convincing as the rest of the theories. At least to me.

Besides, as the movie with Michael Caine demonstrated, it was a freemason plot.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  11:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Coincedently, the other day, i read an interesting essay on Jack, on the Crime Library. They presented all of the evidence (except that which has been lost over time) and gave a rundown on all of the prime and not-so-prime suspects. Truth to tell, I can't buy any of them. There's a couple that almost fit, but 'almost' only counts when you're playing horse shoes or hand grenades.

Therefore, I'll put forth a suspect of my own: A former incarnation of Jimmy Swaggert.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  13:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Sorry guys, it was the Pagans, athiests and homosexuals. Well, they made God do it.

"If anyone can show me, and prove to me, that I am wrong in
thought or deed, I will gladly change. I seek the truth, which
never yet hurt anybody."- Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  12:01:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
I understand that investigators expunged some Masonic grafitti at the scene of one of the crimes, and have heard of a Masonic conspiracy theory.

The Ripper case is certainly the most notorious unsolved crime in world history. I would like to see a thread on the Fall River (Massachusetts) murders, a double murder which Lizzie Borden, daughter and step-daughter of the two victims, was tried and aquitted. I think that this case qualifies as the most notorious unsolved crime in U.S. history.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

Igrokit

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  23:29:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Igrokit an AOL message  Send Igrokit a Yahoo! Message Send Igrokit a Private Message
Speaking of wacko killers, who was that killer from that poam? "Sombody or other gave her mother 40 wacks (with an axe). Then when she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41." It goes something like that.

That rhime has been going through my head since I first saw this topic, but I cannot place it.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  06:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

Speaking of wacko killers, who was that killer from that poem?

Look no further than the post above yours. Lizzie Borden.

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Igrokit

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  18:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Igrokit an AOL message  Send Igrokit a Yahoo! Message Send Igrokit a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Speaking of wacko killers, who was that killer from that poem?

Look no further than the post above yours.
Lizzie Borden.

Ahh that may be what sent that rhime off in my head. I shall have to look to see if I can find the poem somewhere.
------------

Sum Ergo Cogito

Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  20:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Lizzie Borden took an axe,
Gave her mother 40 whacks.
When she saw what she had done, gave her father 41.

Damn, now I have that going through my head.

Thought constitutes the greatness of man -Pascal
Go to Top of Page

Igrokit

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  16:32:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Igrokit an AOL message  Send Igrokit a Yahoo! Message Send Igrokit a Private Message
At least its better than getting "Its a small world" going in one's head. :-).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.