New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  17:31:23  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
I don't care to air my personal problems publicly, but perhaps some of you folks can provide a few pointers. I have suffered from anxiety/depression type disorders for over ten years. First, I "medicated" myself with alcohol; after recovering from alcohol abuse I tried more traditional means (therapy, Paxil, and other medications) only to learn that with this approach, the cure is often worse than the disease.

My only crutches right now are black coffee and the occaisional pipe of good tobacco, but the underlying problems remain. Many friends of mine, who practice everything from TCM to yoga to hapkido, have suggested that these disciplines offer a wide variety of benifits as "alternative" therepy. While I do not doubt that their improved sense of psychological balance is in some sense real, I am reluctant to become a "follower" because I simply cannot buy into some of the metaphysical baggage that seems to be tied up with the practice of these disciplines.

In addition to the supposedly scientifically
verifiable health benefits, is the so called "heightened consciousness" anything more than a case of self-hypnosis and other such flimsy hocus-pocus? Can one enjoy the benefits of these practices without buying into pseudoscientific mystical notions? Is there any such animal as a skeptic yogi?

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  18:19:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Try Zyban. It is fabulous and does not have the side effects some of the other anti-depressants have.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  19:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
I am not a fan of natural or alternate therapies for most illnesses and depression as you describe it a real physical illness that does respond to medication. The question is finding the right one for the right patient. I still write for Prozac (it has a generic)first and go from there. One problem maybe that you are Bi-polar and not correctly diagnosed so the proper meds have not been given. Of course I do not know you, nor have I examined you so this is strictly conjecture on my part. That covered....your question as to can you practice these other philosophies without becoming a "true believer" I think the answer is yes. We do it all the time.

When you light up your pipe of tobacco or have a cup of black coffee only part of the reaction is chemical, the nicotine or caffiene. The rest is the comfort of the ritual. The filling of the pipe, the smell, the lighting of the match, are all part of the relaxation process. Deep breathing, bio-feedback are accepted medical practices without the philosophy attached. I use my own form of self hypnosis before doing (or even having) procedures. It just clears my mind and gets me ready for what I need to concentrate on. A good therapist can teach you these techniques even if you do not want to undergo therapy. You do not need a higher consciousness involved. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  22:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Then again the problem might be that you are an intellectual living in Charlotte NC.
The solution could be as simple as an airline ticket.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  01:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I have noticed that I am usually in a better mood (and "well balanced," whatever that means) if I exercize regularly. This (I believe) is why things like yoga and martial arts tend to help with depression and anxiety. You don't need to buy into any "alrternate conciousness" crap to enjoy the benefits of being in shape.

-me.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  05:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
I heartily agree with Boron10!

Exercise makes you feel better. Regular exercise makes you feel better regularly. Of course, it's not a cureall, so if the underlying causes of your anxiety/depression are more than just mild, it will take more, I'm sure.

That "balancing your chi" nonsense is just a credulous way of explaining the benefits of exercise on your mind and body (purely a chemical/physiological reaction, as we all know). It's most certainly possible to enjoy these benefits without the mystical notions.

My wife started taking Paxil recently for mild anxiety. Her face would get real red, and it would be embarrassing, and make her even more anxious. The Paxil (or the placebo ) has pretty much taking care of that. She loves it.

------------

You can tell she's hydrolic...
Her silver scream is supersonic
You can see the mercury smear in her eye...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.