Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 I'm not real sure what to make of this..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  14:48:29  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary/story.html?id=%7B608ADAF7-3FD1-4699-B517-1947CE553748%7D

We've been hearing of it in bits and pieces for years.

"Hey, when you have the CIA, who needs Paranoids Anonomous?"

f

Evolution is such a simple idea, almost anyone can misunderstand it. -- Theodore Dobzhansky

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  16:37:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
What are they called "Psi-Corps"?

I wonder why nobody has warned of Osama using psychics to attack the west.

There have been warnings involving anything from nukes or scuba-divers to Godzilla-movies and cyber-terrorism. None of these warnings have been filtered though sanity or common sense. Basically anything the US has, would like to have or that has been written about in a novel is immideatly ascribed to being possibly used by terrorists.

So if the US have after decades of spending fortunes on remote-viwers actually discovered some process that actually works, what would keep Osama or Saddam from doing the same.

Why is nothing being done to protect America
from Psi-Terror?

I can already see the headlines: "Number of psychic hotline discovered in Afghan cave." or "Saddam rumored to experiment with spoon bending."

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  17:28:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Personally, as a taxpayer I would like to see my money returned. If these guys are so good why is it that no one had a glimpse of what happened on 9/11? One of the biggest events in a century and none of the popular TV psychics or any other uttered a word about it in advance? Sure, I know, they do a lot better with predictions about celebrities.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Physiofly
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  17:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Physiofly a Private Message
quote:
According to Morehouse, one of this unit's most distinct successes was the discovery of what and who brought down Pan Am flight 103, which crashed in Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1989. Information produced by remote viewers just hours after the crash said that a bomb placed in a music box was the source.

"There was a backup on Pan Am 103: an Iranian woman who had lost her family as a result of the U.S. shooting down an Iranian airliner from a missile frigate. She was seated on the left-hand side of the leading edge of the wing, which was exactly where the explosives in the cargo hold were, just below her. She had explosives strapped around her waist.

This is one of their "most distinct successes?" Since when is a music box bomb (a little post hoc reasoning since everyone knew it was a bomb) anywhere near a waist bomb? That right there tells you this whole remote viewing process is nonsense, but it was spun as a success and our supposedly educated thinkers at the CIA bought into it hook, line and sinker.

The whole remote viewing "process" is nothing more than organized daydreaming. I'm so glad my tax dollars are going to such an important program and not to something frivolous like stem cell research.

"Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a
deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  20:09:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I'll take, "Show me some f-ing evidence that vision can be facilitated by something other than photon-receptor interaction, assholes" for $200.

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  21:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary/story.html?id=%7B608ADAF7-3FD1-4699-B517-1947CE553748%7D

We've been hearing of it in bits and pieces for years.

"Hey, when you have the CIA, who needs Paranoids Anonomous?"

f

Why did that story not mention that the Russians were contemplating it during WW2 or was it the Germans in WW1? I think I heard that on the show Randi did that was on PBS. Or maybe on 60 Minutes. But in any case this is OLD news.
And even if they had been doing it recently I think it's like the stock market, if you get a tip about a stock or see a story about it in the paper....it's too late.
You really think if there was a project going on like that we the public would know about it?
It's also difficult to believe that so much money would have been spent on something like that.
The whole thing smacks of publicity or a planted story. Something to get people talking and take our minds off of what's actually going on. Things that we really could change. Like the economy!

*Carabao forever
---------------
Bye, bye Los Angeles. SAN FERNANDO VALLEY SECESSION - YES

All lives are movie settings, it's what channel you're on that counts. Zatikia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.