Do you believe in God?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  23:47:46  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Last night I got asked by my 9 year old neice "Do you believe in God?"

I didn't really know what to say here as I didn't want to force my belief's on her and thus be as bad as those over reigious parents.

I just told her that I couldn't answer that question easily and that she would have to look at these things for herself.

What do you think one should do in a situation like this?

I would rather be the offspring of two apes than be a man and afraid to face the truth.
-- Thomas Huxley

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  02:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Why if you say no is that forcing something on someone? It's just saying no.

If she had asked if you have a three-headed pig what would you say? If you said no, would that be forcing something on her?

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  03:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I agree with Gorgo. Answering a direct question about your beliefs is hardly "forcing," even if you are aware that she may be impressionable.

Now, if you had begun a "religion is evil" tirade, that would have been forcing, eh?

-me.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
In the few times I've been ask that by kids I've answered "No, of course I don't."

The "..of course I don't" part can get them thinking.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  08:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
Theres nothing wrong with a direct answer to a direct question. Telling someone what you believe isn't the same as telling them what they should believe.

"Know what, if you were in a building, and it was on fire, I'd rescue you."
- My Son 3/5/2002
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  11:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Sorry, I did not really word that very well.

What I was trying to get across was that she kinda looks up to me, and my sister-in-law is a fairly devout Catholic so I did not want to go against what she might be getting told at home and cause unnecessary family friction. Being an Atheist sometimes rubs people up the wrong way.....

She asked me the question while we were watching the "Walking with Beasts" documentary together and the topic was primate evolution. http://www.bbc.co.uk/beasts/

I would rather be the offspring of two apes than be a man and afraid to face the truth.
-- Thomas Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  20:38:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think part of the problem you're facing is what to say after you say no. Will there be a thousand more questions that you'd rather not answer? I think the answer is still to just say no. No need to get into it farther than that. If more questions ensue, then answer them briefly without trying to "force" anything on him.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  08:55:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
I would tell her that God is really just "Truth." No one knows the ultimate truth of the universe, so be wary of those claiming otherwise. Everyone searches for Truth in different ways and she one day will search and hopefully find at least part of her own Truth.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  04:59:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Your answer may have been best.

quote:

I just told her that I couldn't answer that question easily and that she would have to look at these things for herself.

Go to Top of Page

Strychnos

6 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2002 :  23:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Strychnos a Private Message
How about "No I don't, but a lot of people do, and I try to be polite and respectful about their belief"?

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  09:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

What I was trying to get across was that she kinda looks up to me, and my sister-in-law is a fairly devout Catholic ....

When you have kids do you think that this devout Catholic Aunt will return the compliment and not tell them that she believes?

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  07:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Surely you aren't suggesting we measure our behavior by that of Catholics?

Only you can measure what you're comfortable with. It's not wrong to defer the question by saying you can't explain the whole idea in a short time. If you simply said no, it might be that that would mean to him that you eat babies and cavort with demons.

Having said all that, I think I'd just tell him, no I'm an atheist and let him ask the questions. But, there's no way for me to know what's best for your situation.

quote:

When you have kids do you think that this devout Catholic Aunt will return the compliment and not tell them that she believes?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.