Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 what happens after we die?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

icarus

2 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  15:38:40  Show Profile  Visit icarus's Homepage Send icarus a Private Message
is it so important?

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  15:55:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Something needs to be done obviously because after a while the smell becomes intolerable.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  00:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

Something needs to be done obviously because after a while the smell becomes intolerable.

Not really. I can promise you that you won't smell a thing once you are dead.

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  02:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

is it so important?

That's a good question. Here's what happens when we die. (I'll skip a lot and just state some highlights.)
When we die, our bodies decompose (or are cremated.) Eventually the molecules and even the atoms that were part of us go back into the air and soil. They may be recycled, part of a raindrop for example, or a portion of a reissued compact disc of Johnny Rivers' Greatest Hits. Time passes, except for us as we're dead and now diffuse matter. Time passes some more. Five billion years go by and the sun becomes a red giant, and then explodes, vaporizing the earth. By then all the best snack bars have closed down. Now the atoms that were part of us, as well as other things, such as a 28th century Interositor, a strain of weird newer microbes living in Madagascar, and part of the engine block of a 1959 Maserati 3500 GT convertible, among other wonderful things, becomes vaporized into part of a beautiful planetary nebula. Eventually some of this gas condenses with gas from other novae, and a new star and planetary system are born. About 3 billion years later, life arises on a new planet, and some of that atomic material (that was in us) is now part of an animal that will eventually evolve into a curious lovely being who will look up at the stars and wonder how she got there.

=============================================

Edited by - chippewa on 08/24/2002 02:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  03:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Why hasn't Johnny Rivers been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  10:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
I think it's something to do about being worm food.....

mmmmmmmmmm....delicious, decomposing humans..

Precisely why they can burn my body.

I have donated my organs to science, but they might find my liver largely useless...

I would rather be the offspring of two apes than be a man and afraid to face the truth.
-- Thomas Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Cosmic string

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  22:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Cosmic string's Homepage Send Cosmic string a Private Message
In my view, the most plausible hypothesis of what happens after you die (from your perspective) is that it is the same as if you never lived. No perception, no memory, no thought. Just nothing. Of course, anything you've done over the course of your life continues to affect others who are still alive or will be alive, but that's probably of little concern to you once you are dead. So no, icarus, it does not matter. I think it is highly unlikely that I will see a very different perspective on this board.

“The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning.” --Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  22:55:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

Why hasn't Johnny Rivers been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Another good question! And, the song "What's the Difference," found on the new CD reissue of Rivers' album "Rewind Realization" poetically provides an answer to the question at the start of this thread.

(And yes, Johnny Rivers should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!)
=========
"Speaking without thinking like shooting without aiming." - Charlie Chan

Edited by - chippewa on 08/26/2002 09:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:38:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

is it so important?

All the really cool stuff that you have been hoping and waiting for is going to happen right after you die. About a week to ten days later...and you'll miss it.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:40:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

is it so important?

Ok. two answers here.

1) Physical --
Assuming that the wishes in my will and expressed to my wife and family are carried out. My body is opened up and all of the useful organs are removed and distributed to people who can actually use them. What is left, goes into the fire. Crackle, crackle, crackle. Which is a bit of a shock if I'm not quite dead yet. (The body has not been embalmed nor made up with makeup so as not to introduce toxins to the environment.) The ashes are spread over a grassy area to nurture the Earth which I lived on for a time.

If my idiot fundamentalist charismatic Christian brother get his way, I rot in a box and spread toxins through embalming fluid and make up.

2) Spiritual/Soul
Quite frankly, I don't know. I think that my soul will move on to a waiting area until I am reborn to learn some more. When I have learned all the lessons I can here, I move on to a new plane of existance. Anything said on the spiritual side of things is straight conjecture.

Cthulu/Asmodeus, when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  10:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
Funny, I always figured that when we die things stop happening to us.

"Know what, if you were in a building, and it was on fire, I'd rescue you."
- My Son 3/5/2002
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  19:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Naw, it doesn't stop until we completely decay and/or mumify. We're just no longer aware.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  07:01:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
What happens?
your estate gets wrapped up in probate and the government gets first dibs on all your shit. Then your family gets taxed for your departure and further has to shell out for someone to get rid of the meat bag that used to be you.
Even cremation costs and it's illegal to dump bodies off for the cougars to chow on. But woodchipper rentals are cheap.....

No remorse, No repent. We don't care what it meant. Another day another death. Another sorrow another breath.
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  03:06:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Once again, you will gain full access to the same wide range of experiences and sensations, that you enjoyed from about a year to the beginning of time, before you were born. If you choose cremation, just heard, that your ashes can now be compressed into a diamond. Kind of gives new meaning to "the family jewels," huh?

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  09:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Is it so small a thing, To have enjoyed the sun,
To have lived light in the Spring,
To have loved, to have thought, to have done;
To have advanced true friends, and beat down baffling foes
That we must feign a bliss Of doubtful future date,
And while we dream on this, Lose all our present state,
And relegate to worlds ... yet distant our repose?

Matthew Arnold, from Empedocles on Etna 1852

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.