Media Issues
 What happened to scooby doo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2002 :  12:11:39  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
One of my young adult heroic skeptics has sold out and turned to the dark side.

In the good old days scooby and crew debunked supernatural claims and showed repeatedly that there was a natural explanation behind each and everyone. Velma the ever rational skeptic combined with Fred's sleuth like skills would control the irrational fears of the other 3 members and always provide a clear natural explanation for the supposed supernatural. This was great for kids.

Now in modern times they have sold out and now their latest flicks (full length movies) are laced with "real" supernatural events and beings. Examples:

Zombie Island - Has zombies and some ancient followers of a cat diety - Answer their real and supernatural. Even hints at government conspirace with the arresting FBI agent admitting that he doesn't think anyone will believe his story.

Alient Invaders - A combination of the typical fake aliens however this time with a real alien in the mix as well :<. Also hints at government conspiracy as well (and you don't need to hint much with alien wacko's).

Witch's Ghost - Yep you guessed it, real witches with real magic powers and a real witch's ghost. No natural explanation. Only positive quality of the show is it shows Wiccans in a positive light so at least it helps expand horizons.

Reluctant Werewolf - Shaggy gets turned into a werewolf and encounters numerous real monsters. Not even a mystery just a wacky adventure filled with the supernatural.

Boo Brothers - This one has the typical fake monster/villan, but also has 3 real ghosts who help Shaggy on this hair brained I inherited a haunted mansion story.

The final two I mentioned above fall more into the Shaggy, Scooby, & Scrappy episodes which were nothing like the original episodes and often don't even have mysteries to solve. The first 3 however are amazingly like the original episodes except for the fact that the supernatural is real.

Now I know this is entertainment for kids, but the original Scooby was great at showing that there are natural explanations for the so-called supernatural. The repetetive story line would literally drumb this into a kid's head if he watched it much. Is it a monster, nope its a guy in a mask. Is it a ghost, nope its a projecter reflecting off of a mirror. Does the witch have real powers, nope just a freaky character who is after some loot and so on.

These were the hero's of skepticism for the youth and now even they are gone :< What in the world happened.

Antie
Skeptic Friend

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2002 :  22:03:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Antie's Homepage  Send Antie an ICQ Message Send Antie a Private Message
Have you seen the live-action movie yet? The main characters even become disembodied spirits!

Edited by - Antie on 08/21/2002 22:03:30
Go to Top of Page

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  06:52:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
quote:

Have you seen the live-action movie yet? The main characters even become disembodied spirits!

Nope I heard it had some slightly inappropriate matrial for younger kids so I have yet to see it.

Oh yeah forgot one:
Cyberchase - A "phantom" virus comes to life and escapes from the computer combined with real monsters in "cyber world" after the gang gets sucked in.

Scooby used to be such a great role model for the young skeptic, I can still remember Velma telling a frightened Shaggy, "There are no such things as ghosts." :<

Edited by - jmcginn on 08/22/2002 06:52:53
Go to Top of Page

Upchurch

1 Post

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  08:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Upchurch an AOL message  Send Upchurch a Yahoo! Message Send Upchurch a Private Message
Excellent point. I've seen each of the first three you mentioned and the movie and I didn't notice that tiny, but critical, difference. What are your thoughts on the reasoning behind this? A move from at least pretending to educate to pure popular entertainment?

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  02:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:

"Hey, check out what we can do with the CG system we're using to generate Scooby!"

-the computer graphics geeks

"The focus group really liked it!"

-studio Marketing Dept.

"Shaggy and Scooby are stoners,
Freddy swings both ways,
Shaggy and Scooby are stoners,
And Velma's seen better days...

I wonder if Daphne puts out?"

-They Eat Their Young (another band you've never heard of, deservedly)

"All things foul and ugly, All creatures short and squat. Putrid, foul and gangrenous, the Lord God made the lot." -Monty Python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.