Religion
 Xtians grabbing for more power?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  20:51:08  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Or am I just being too paranoid?

See: http://www.atheists.org/action/alert-2-sep-2002.html

and http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/faith_and_values/article/0,1651,TCP_1155_1415511,00.html

From the above article:
quote:
"It's a step in the right direction," Esch said about the bill. Esch worships at First Assembly of God in Fort Pierce and believes faith must recapture society from dangerous secular influences.

"I think the church has to speak out (because) the world is just taking over."

The bill currently under consideration in the U.S. House of Representatives is titled The Houses of Worship Political Speech Protection Act. It would amend the federal tax code to permit churches and ministries to participate actively in politics without fear of losing their tax exemptions under Section 501(c)3 of the tax code. The restriction on secular nonprofits and charities would not be lifted.

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  05:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
The terminology cracks me up. "Secular influences," huh? So anything that anyone says that doesn't specifically mention deity(-ies) is bad?

Anyway, I don't see how they're going to sneak this one past SCOTUS. The rationale for tax-exemption was the First Amendment separation clause. The point of this bill appears to be allowing churches to unilaterally influence the state. The bill proponents are blatantly claiming C-S separation is a one-way street. This one will die or be killed, you ask me.

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.