Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  11:01:13  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
DA, I'd like to ask you, mostly out of curiosity, about your concept of God. Primarily, I would ask that you provide a working definition, something you can tell others that gives them a general idea about what you speak when you reference God. I have a few more questions, but I am really interested in this definition, so I'll just leave it here for now. Thanks for your time.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2001 :  06:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
No problem Phd.When I use the term "God" ,as a Christian, I'm referring to the Triune God revealed in both the Old and New Testaments and most clearly the historic person of Jesus The Messiah.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2001 :  08:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi DA,

I mean no offense, but I regard all religons intresting mythologies. Mythologies of course, have had a huge, pretty much beneficial influence on human history as folk tried to understand that which was, at the time, unexplanable. And they provided anchors for civilazations to group around.

But today, we have a staggering amount of confirmed knowledge that is at odds with all of the religous texts (not to mention certain inconsistencies, but I'm not going there).

So, I guess my question is: Do you take the Bible, word for word, as literal truth? If so, why?

luck,

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2001 :  12:25:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

No problem Phd.When I use the term "God" ,as a Christian, I'm referring to the Triune God revealed in both the Old and New Testaments and most clearly the historic person of Jesus The Messiah.

Could you be more specific? The Bible doesn't define God, it merely outlines his more recent exploits. I'm thinking more along the lines of what thing the noun "God" refers to. When you talk presently about God, you're ostensibly not referring to a character in a book, so I suppose you must be referring to something that can be accurately accommodated by a noun. Please enlighten.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  03:57:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Could you be more specific? The Bible doesn't define God, it merely outlines his more recent exploits. I'm thinking more along the lines of what thing the noun "God" refers to. When you talk presently about God, you're ostensibly not referring to a character in a book, so I suppose you must be referring to something that can be accurately accommodated by a noun. Please enlighten.

Phd.I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean.The God of the Bible is:1.Creator;2.Triune;3.The source of the Revealation(i.e.The Bible;);4.Revealed in the Person[noun?]of Jesus the Messiah.

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  08:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Phd.I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean.The God of the Bible is:1.Creator;2.Triune;3.The source of the Revealation(i.e.The Bible;);4.Revealed in the Person[noun?]of Jesus the Messiah.

Here are the problems I have with your definition:
1) This is something God did rather than what God is. Saying "God is the creator [of the universe]" is the same thing as saying, "God created the universe."
2) This says nothing more than God is three distinct things. Frankly, this raises far more questions than it answers.
3) Again, this is something that God did rather than what God is.
4) This is important. Are you suggesting that Jesus is an accurate representation of God and that we should just picture Jesus when we reference God and be done with it?

I'm no linguist, but it seems that ordinarily, when we use nouns, they are intended to label something that can be ideally represented. That is, if I use the word 'keyboard' in a sentence when I am speaking to you, I take it for granted that you can form a mental representation that at least approximates the mental representation that I have. I know that you can come up with some exceptions, but they are hardly analagous to the concept of the creator of the universe. So I would like to know what mental representation you are trying to convey when you use the word 'God.'

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  01:04:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
) This is important. Are you suggesting that Jesus is an accurate representation of God and that we should just picture Jesus when we reference God and be done with it?

Yes, "Jesus is an accurate representation of God"; " Anyone who has seen me[Jesus] has seen the Father"(Jn.14:9);"The Son[Jesus]is... EXACT representation of his[The Father's] being"(Heb.1:3)
quote:
I take it for granted that you can form a mental representation that at least approximates the mental representation that I have. I know that you can come up with some exceptions, but they are hardly analagous to the concept of the creator of the universe. So I would like to know what mental representation you are trying to convey when you use the word 'God.'

In classical theology you have 2 diffrent types "theological knowledge":1.Natural(i.e.the 'proofs for God's existence ect...);2.And "Special Revealation"(i.e. knowledge based on scriptures).With that in mind,your point about "a concept of a creator" would fall into catagory #1 and when you ask "what mental representation you are trying to convey?"I can do no better than the NT and point to Jesus.

Edited by - darwin alogos on 09/05/2002 01:07:03
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  06:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
darwin alogos wrote:

When I use the term "God" ,as a Christian, I'm referring to the Triune God revealed in both the Old and New Testaments ...

Upon which version of Tanach and New Testament does your revelation depend?

Edited by - ReasonableDoubt on 09/05/2002 06:52:41
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  08:13:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Yes, "Jesus is an accurate representation of God"; " Anyone who has seen me[Jesus] has seen the Father"(Jn.14:9);"The Son[Jesus]is... EXACT representation of his[The Father's] being"(Heb.1:3)

I think you're being selectively literal with the old Bible. Do you really think God is made up of atoms arranged in a pattern that looks like Jesus (whatever he looked like)?

quote:
In classical theology you have 2 diffrent types "theological knowledge":1.Natural(i.e.the 'proofs for God's existence ect...);2.And "Special Revealation"(i.e. knowledge based on scriptures).With that in mind,your point about "a concept of a creator" would fall into catagory #1 and when you ask "what mental representation you are trying to convey?"I can do no better than the NT and point to Jesus.

Does God always look like Jesus? Only part of the time? Is that God's fundamental form or is it just a way for us to picture him?

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  08:31:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Upon which version of Tanach and New Testament does your revelation depend?

Edited by - ReasonableDoubt

Actually I prefer the NIV.Which used the latest edition of Biblia Hebraicafor its translation of the Tanach.For more info on it simply consult the Preface of the NIV Bible

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  08:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Do you really think God is made up of atoms arranged in a pattern that looks like Jesus (whatever he looked like)?

As I originaly stated the Biblical view of God is Triune.The question you asked must be answered in that light,namely,"Do I really think God[The Son took on a REAL human nature in which his body] is made up of atoms arranged in apattern that looks like Jesus?" Then my answer is still yes.

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  09:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Does God always look like Jesus? Only part of the time? Is that God's fundamental form or is it just a way for us to picture him?

I hope my last comment will help explain your question here,namely,"Does God always look like Jesus?" Of course The Son,since 4BC has and always will look like Jesus:Who,being in very nature God...taking the very nature of a servant,being made in human likeness(Phil.2:6).

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  09:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
What can you do with the idea of god(s) that I can't do without the idea of god(s)?

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn

Edited by - gorgo on 09/05/2002 11:00:37
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  12:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
What can you do with the idea of god(s) that I can't do without the idea of god(s)?
Que paso?

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  13:00:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
darwin alogos wrote:

Actually I prefer the NIV. Which used the latest edition of Biblia Hebraica for its translation of the Tanach. For more info on it simply consult the Preface of the NIV Bible.

So, you wait until you have a document thoroughly revised and harmonized. What is your basis for rejecting the earlier manuscripts?

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  13:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Can you walk on water? Raise the dead? What? [/quote] Que paso?
[/quote]

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.