IBEST
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  08:46:05  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
Ok, just becasue I am a computer nerd, I wanted to put this out. I am currently studying Computer Science at the University of Idaho and recently had a discussion with a professor of mine on topics unrelating to IBEST and what it is. Slowly the topic shifted and I began to become very excited what we were talking about.

IBEST - Initiative for Bioinformatics and Evolutionary STudies

I wanted to supply the link and see what people thought.

http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~foster/ibest/

And if your a computer nerd like me, it may be interesting to note that they are using a Beowulf cluster, which loosley described is a bunch of individual machines linked together acting as one. Pretty cool stuff. (I know Boron, my geek is showing. )

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about. Beofulf cluster? Hmm.

Anyhow, Welcome to SFN! Gonna check out the link, now.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  12:03:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey Terry, here's the best link on the web for the Theory of Evolution. I give it to you, free of charge, my friend!

http://www.talkorigins.org/

I gots lots of others, should you want them.

Edited to ask, Yeesh, when will I ever learn to spel?

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/06/2002 12:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  13:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Hey! How come I never knew about this when I was at the U of Idaho?
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  15:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
Heck, I didn't even know much about it and I am a CS major.

Supposedly the proffessor I have that is working on it needs tech aides (which I think is a nice way of saying cheap labor ) to help out next semester with the Beowulf stuff. I think it might be interesting to get in on. Plus they are offering an upper division evolutionary computation's course next fall, so I'm there.
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  16:29:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Heard of a group that is 'studying' the interactions of a bunch of charactors in the computer game, "the SIMS." How did we ever get along... Would this be like this "Initiative for Bioinformatics and Evolutionary STudies" stuff?

Edited by - NubiWan on 11/06/2002 18:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  12:45:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
off the top of my head I would say no, but I really don't know much about 'the sims' or the study. Do you have a link?

From what I do know about 'the sims' I would say that it wouldn't even really be a good representation of human level Artificial Intelligence either. The game mostly "reacts" to pre-determined states, much I would guess like a state machine in electronics. But what is exciting is, we don't have AI figured out yet, but who knows what will happen in the next decade with all the advances we have made in the last one!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.