Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  22:36:28  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
As someone who has surfed around in the skeptic community quite a bit, I (as well as many others) have noticed there are usually far more male skeptics than females.

Is this just because there are more men on the internet that participate in message boards? Yes, I know that isn't the answer, but it was worth a shot. It seems that women tend to be the focus of many of the hucksters like John Edward and Sylvia Browne.

Does anyone think the ratio of male vs female skeptics is going to change anytime soon?

Probably a topic that's been discussed before, but I noticed there were no topics in this category, so I thought I'd start one.

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  01:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Denise

As someone who has surfed around in the skeptic community quite a bit, I (as well as many others) have noticed there are usually far more male skeptics than females.

Is this just because there are more men on the internet that participate in message boards? Yes, I know that isn't the answer, but it was worth a shot. It seems that women tend to be the focus of many of the hucksters like John Edward and Sylvia Browne.

Does anyone think the ratio of male vs female skeptics is going to change anytime soon?

Probably a topic that's been discussed before, but I noticed there were no topics in this category, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm just curious why that makes a difference.
Isn't there a problem when people divide into groups like that?
Reminds me of something else I've wondered about for years and just the other day heard someone mention it. That is: when someone achieves a goal......let's say 1st 'man' on the moon, person if you like. Why does there then have to be the 1st women, 1st black, etc.?
Doing something 1st......IS 1ST, and that's it!
So if someone is skeptical and questions authority or whatever, why does it matter what gender they are?
Just asking.
Go to Top of Page

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  03:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
Well, I suppose it makes a difference to me for different reasons than others.

Reason number one- Being a woman, I would like to see women be more skeptical. It drives me crazy that many are buying quack creams etc. and calling the psychic hotlines. Although there's a fair amount of men being taken in, I see women as supporting most of it.

Reason number two. More children are being raised by women in the USA. While being raised by a skeptical parent does not make someone a skeptic and vica versa - it sure doesn't help.

As for the first woman, first black thing. I really don't understand that either. I suspect that many voters will vote for someone just so they can be "first". I don't think that's a good thing to base a vote on.

Thanks for your reply!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  07:15:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Okay, a discussion that we've had here thousands of times, but what is a skeptic? And are you using the lack of women posting on skeptic forums as evidence that women aren't skeptics? If so, are there other reasons that women don't post on skeptic forums? I think just because someone calls themselves a skeptic and posts on skeptic forums doesn't mean that that automatically makes them skeptics. Generally, they may (or may not) be skeptical in some areas, and very gullible in others. Because some are experts in one field, some of them think that makes them experts in other unrelated fields.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  08:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Denise

It's so the human race can go on. Otherwise, you ladies wouldn't buy the load of crap we men dish out.

Seriously, it is more due to the traditional roles and attitudes that have been brought forward through history. It's not genetic, it's societal.
Go to Top of Page

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  08:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Okay, a discussion that we've had here thousands of times, but what is a skeptic? And are you using the lack of women posting on skeptic forums as evidence that women aren't skeptics? If so, are there other reasons that women don't post on skeptic forums? I think just because someone calls themselves a skeptic and posts on skeptic forums doesn't mean that that automatically makes them skeptics. Generally, they may (or may not) be skeptical in some areas, and very gullible in others. Because some are experts in one field, some of them think that makes them experts in other unrelated fields.

I guess maybe we are quibbling over the definition of skeptic. A skeptic is a person who looks at both sides of an issue and arrives at a conclusion based on the evidence. Gullibility is usually not arrived at by thinking critically.

I don't think someone has to be an expert in a field to have their bs meter go off.

For instance, Miss Cleo's hotline. I don't know if there was a breakdown in gender- but seeing how her target audience appeared to be women, I would bet the vast majority of the millions came from women.

I thought it was pretty clear that I didn't think there are less women skeptics only because of the number that post on message boards, but in other areas of life.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  09:17:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yes, you did say that, sorry. I didn't mean to quite put it the way that I did. I meant to get more into how one finds out for sure. Do women believe in god(s) more than men, or do they just go to church more, for instance.

Are women more skeptical about certain things than others? Are men more skeptical or just more opinionated?

From what I see here, I think some men happen to agree with skeptics on certain subjects, but that doesn't mean that they're skeptical themselves.

quote:

I thought it was pretty clear that I didn't think there are less women skeptics only because of the number that post on message boards, but in other areas of life.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/21/2002 11:48:47
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  11:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
For instance, Miss Cleo's hotline. I don't know if there was a breakdown in gender- but seeing how her target audience appeared to be women, I would bet the vast majority of the millions came from women.

If you think about it, the stock market bubble in '99 fleeced far more men for far more money than dear Miss Cleo ever did. Women have not cornered the market on gullability.

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  13:25:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Howdy Denise.
Yeah,this has been discussed before. Most people think the problem is societal, but the big question is why. I seems that just about every argument can be shot down in some way
Back when I was in high school, females were generally discouraged from taking the tougher math and science courses. I was treated badly by some people because I refused to take home ec or child rearing classes. I doubt schools are still this way, so this doesn't let the younger generation off the hook.
Someone once suggested that we see fewer females on line because there just aren't that many females that surf the web. Could be partially true. Then again, let's consider our favourite hangout, PalTalk. How many times have you and I been the only two skepchicks there with a dozen or so of the skepdudes? Yet if you go over to any of the psychic rooms, and there will be 20 women in there talking about their auras. There are plenty of women on-line. And many of them are idiots.
It's been suggested that perhaps men don't treat critically thinking women very well. Im sure there are men out there who will discount any argument made by a woman just because she's a woman. But let's run back over to PalTalk for a minute. Aside from Boogie yammering on about college football, have any of those guys dismissed an argument based on a person's gender?
I don't know what the answer is Densie, but I think it's a good subject to bring up occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  15:01:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Yes, you did say that, sorry. I didn't mean to quite put it the way that I did. I meant to get more into how one finds out for sure. Do women believe in god(s) more than men, or do they just go to church more, for instance.

I said
quote:

When I said worth a shot - I mean worth a shot at one of the reasons. Not the only reason. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I don't necessarily believe that message boards always reflect the population that they strive to. I'm sure a lot of skeptics or atheists or fundamentalists never visit such boards. I was hoping for a starting point.

{edited to fix formatting}

Edited by - PhDreamer on 11/21/2002 18:14:13
Go to Top of Page

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  15:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa

Howdy Denise.

Someone once suggested that we see fewer females on line because there just aren't that many females that surf the web. Could be partially true. Then again, let's consider our favourite hangout,
It's been suggested that perhaps men don't treat critically thinking women very well. Im sure there are men out there who will discount any argument made by a woman just because she's a woman. But let's run back over to PalTalk for a minute. Aside from Boogie yammering on about college football, have any of those guys dismissed an argument based on a person's gender?
I don't know what the answer is Densie, but I think it's a good subject to bring up occasionally.

Hey, you called me Densie! Unintentionaly I hope!
I must say though, I have never seen a "skeptic" [in quotes for those who are undecided on a definition] man who has discounted an argument simply because of someone's gender. I have seen that on some boards but it's usually because men are "head of the household"!

Yes, I have noticed, the woo woo rooms are almost entirely populated by women - usually 90 % or more. Maybe we should don sock puppets and count just for the hell of it. Well, maybe you, because I am among the frequently banned. Nice to see you Lisa, I hope to have some fruitful discussions on this forum. Looks like a good place to learn - and there are many things I need to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  17:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Sorry Denise, can't type today.
So here we have it again. I'm in the JREF room, trapped here with Dan, Bryan, and Johnno (and J is giving me a pretty bad time, just on general principle). If I peek over to the psychic rooms, they have about 20 people in them.
Not only are there not enough females skeptics around, there seems to be a dearth of skeptics in general.
Go to Top of Page

Denise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  17:55:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denise a Private Message
I'll be there in a sec! Oh you know you love Johnno- you are his Sweet Lisa after all.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  01:16:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I was treated badly by some people because I refused to take home ec or child rearing classes.

Slightly off topic but I have to sound off.
Lisa, 'they' MADE me take that, sewing and cooking.(but I got back at them, I didn't complete the assignments). I wanted to take woodshop like my brother did, but they would't let me. That's why I HATE women so much. Well one of the many reasons. As you may know, I am older than you but look how it still to this day brings up such anger.
And no, I don't feel better for having just said that, LOL. Still want to shot them all.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  01:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Denise, one of these days I will get him for that. I don't know how, and I know it won't be easy. The lad is too clever by half. I'm thinking I'll pull something fast when I get a hold of the mic at the conference. Worldwide embarassment goes both ways.
*ahem*
Snake, can't believe you were forced into that crap. But let's think about this for a minute. How many other females went ahead and took those course because that's what they were "supposed" to do? How many women act a certain way because society expects it? How often have you heard "well women are just more sensitive"?
Society starts trying to shove women into a certain role starting with the pink baby blanket.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  03:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
Society starts trying to shove women into a certain role starting with the pink baby blanket.

You're absolutely right, but the blue baby blanket is used equally. And, sometimes, we find the blanket to be very comforting, regardless of what color it is.

It's just going to take time for all the barriers of gender and race to fall completely, but I think we're on the right road.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.