New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:04:09  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
I'm not ready to choose sides in this one, but it seems that the religious right is upset because gay rights groups have stolen their M.O.
http://www.family.org/cforum/citizenmag/coverstory/a0023411.html
Didn't the religious right start these tactics back in the '80's to try to get abstinance based sex ed, school prayer, and Creationism into the public school systems?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:17:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
From the article:
quote:
That upsets Crumpton because she doesn't think elementary-school kids are ready to discuss sexual lifestyles, especially one as physically and spiritually devastating as homosexuality.
When, exactly, does this 5th grade teacher think children are ready to discuss this? What about the children who grow up with gay parents? Are they not ready to discuss it either?

Reminds me of my little brother's mom, who once said, "isn't he a little young for Chinese food?" (I think he was 7 at the time.) That makes me wonder when Chinese children get to eat.

And another thing: what the hell does spiritually devastating mean? Do they believe this bullshit? Oy.
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
“Our backs are against the wall,” said Matthew Freschi, a physical education teacher at Hayward High School.
Mmmmmmmmmm, safest place to be, I reckon.

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
“They used Scripture to point out the fact that . . . Christians have a history from the beginning of bashing homosexuality and people who are different because God said so,” said Huggett. “I thought, ‘How dare you say I can't stand up and talk to my kids about what I believe and bring out the Bible, but you can go ahead for your purposes and actually misquote [the Bible]? ' ” (emphasis mine)
LOLOLOLOLOLOL ROTFLMAO.
Does Cynthia Huggett really expect any empathy with this one? The bible bashers have been misquoting the good book for 2000 years to further their agenda. Double standards??? I doubt they have any standards aside from what their minister allows!! Wankers.

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  11:14:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
It's just an unfortunate fact that there will always be groups of people who will do just about anything to get people to see their way of thinking. In this case it's homosexuals wanting children to be educated so that they know that being gay is acceptable, but I don't think this is the kind of thing that should be taught at such a young age. It is is to be taught it is something that shoud be addressed by a child's parents, as all sexual matters should be at some point.

This is just like the quarrel with religion in school, where you have parents that are against any references to god in public schools. On the other hand you have catholic schools in which teachers are no longer allowed to educate children about birth control or talk about premarital sex as these things go against the catholic church. The biggest problem I see with this kind of thing is that not telling a child something like premarital sex or homosexuality exists, will not prevent that child from finding out about them from someone.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  11:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
quote:
This is just like the quarrel with religion in school, where you have parents that are against any references to god in public schools. On the other hand you have catholic schools in which teachers are no longer allowed to educate children about birth control or talk about premarital sex as these things go against the catholic church. The biggest problem I see with this kind of thing is that not telling a child something like premarital sex or homosexuality exists, will not prevent that child from finding out about them from someone.

The worst part is, if they're not educated about this by their parents, who will give them the full story, they will be educated by the media, their peers, and other strangers, and that will lead the children to a world of hurt.

The thing that fundies love about the bible is that you ca back up almost any arguement with it. The bible gives so many points of view and references that anything could happen
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  13:45:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kilted_Warrior

The thing that fundies love about the bible is that you ca back up almost any arguement with it.
You don't believe that.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  20:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ReasonableDoubt

quote:
Originally posted by Kilted_Warrior

The thing that fundies love about the bible is that you ca back up almost any arguement with it.
You don't believe that.

I never said it was GOOD evidence on their part, just that they think it was evidence.
They think a book that has been translated, rewritten, and rewritten again is still the exact world of god. These people I call dummyheads
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.