Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  22:33:48  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
I once heard a very interesting quote. It is, in fact, the very subject of this post. "There is no such thing as an Atheist in a foxhole."

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that in a desperate situation, one in which a man most certainly knew he was about to die, there is no such thing as a person who doesn't pray to god to let them live. Just stop and think about it. All you people, especially those who have chosen, and I do respect that choice completely, not to believe in a god...... Can you honestly say that if you were about to die you wouldn't sneak in a quick prayer, that you would just sit back and say "Oh well, there's no hope for me now."

I'm generally interested in seeing how many people deny that they would pray, at least to someone or something, in such a situation.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  22:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
If I was about to die, I'd pray to God and to Allah, and just to cover the bases, Mithra, Ahura Mazda, Zeus, Bhudda, and Ghandi. And if any one of them answered my prayer, I'd be so stunned, I'd probably die of shock.

Just out of curiosity, are you arguing that because people in desperate circumstances often turn to religion, that makes religion valid?
Edited by - Espritch on 11/27/2002 22:44:56
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  22:45:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane
Can you honestly say that if you were about to die you wouldn't sneak in a quick prayer, that you would just sit back and say "Oh well, there's no hope for me now."

I can quite honestly say of course I wouldn't. I can't imagine why you would think otherwise. Known many atheists in foxholes before they died?
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  22:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you arguing that because people in desperate circumstances often turn to religion, that makes religion valid?

To answer your curious question... No.

I have a belief in god because of every humans need to feel that there is some higher power, but I don't believe in religion at all. Contradictory, depends how you look at it. Religion is just a way of governing ones beliefs.

What I am arguing is that even if a person were in dire straits and probably about to die some horrible death, but they decided to pray to, like it has already been said, every single deity just to cover the bases, and they were miraculously saved, wouldn't that make even the strongest skeptic believe just a little bit? Or is that just chance.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  23:09:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Been in combat, have had the gun pointing at my face with the trigger being pulled...I was much too busy to worry about stupid fairy tales.

Let me try to explain this to you as simply as I can. We Atheists don't actually believe in your god. We don't think in our heart of hearts that he is actually real, not even a little. We don't hate god, but turn to him when we are frightened. We really and truely, honest injun, completely and totally, not even a smiggin' think that god is anything other than a silly story.

On the other hand I couldn't help but notice from their peeing in their pants and the running away and leaveing the rest of us high and dry, that those --of my acquaintance--who had a "personal relationship with Jesus" were yellow bellied cowards. Maybe that's why they felt that they had to pray so much to their invisible friend.

There are many Vets who are Atheists, so I would watch saying that "foxhole" crap in front of them. It is highly insulting, and if you do it in person instead of on the web you are putting yourslf in peril.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  23:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:
I have a belief in god because of every humans need to feel that there is some higher power

Why would every human need to feel that there is some higher power, and how do you know what every human feels? Are you omniscient? If not, then the only person's needs that you know with certainty are your own.
Edited by - Espritch on 11/27/2002 23:45:38
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  23:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Gee whiz, Pascal's Wager again? Gimmee a break. I think "true believers" consider this is true because of their own lack of conviction and they assume atheists are just as shallow as they are? Or don't you like the taste of that?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Antie
Skeptic Friend

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  23:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Antie's Homepage  Send Antie an ICQ Message Send Antie a Private Message
> I have a belief in god because of every humans need to feel that
> there is some higher power,

Speak for yourself.

> What I am arguing is that even if a person were in dire straits and
> probably about to die some horrible death, but they decided to pray
> to, like it has already been said, every single deity just to cover
> the bases, and they were miraculously saved, wouldn't that make even
> the strongest skeptic believe just a little bit? Or is that just
> chance.

Then the strongest skeptic may be engaging in the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

> We really and truely, honest injun, completely and totally, not even
> a smiggin' think that god is anything other than a silly story.

Well said.

Antie. DIES GAUDII.

Facies Fabulosarum Feminarum

If you can name all six of the females in the picture above without looking up their names, and you can read the Latin phrase, pat yourself on the back. You're smart.
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  01:33:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
quote:
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that in a desperate situation, one in which a man most certainly knew he was about to die, there is no such thing as a person who doesn't pray to god to let them live.

I'm afraid you'd lose yer shirt on that bet!! If you'd taken the time to read around the various posts on this BB, then you would have realised that;
a) We don't drink in them kinda bars!
b) You were wasting your time and electricity posting this thread!
Nice to see a new fundie face, i just hope you ain't an "under the bridge dweller"

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  03:23:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
That atheist & foxhole saw dates to WW-II, if I'm not mistaken. T'wan't true then, t'ain't true now. Ducking shrapnel increased my belief in shrapnel, not in some invisible force that insisted I take as read something another mere human told me, with zero evidence to back the claim, and sorry 'bout the run-on sentence.

But, Brothers and Sisters, I BELIEVE in shrapnel.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:01:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I kindof like this example: (taken from Swenson Funnies)

Christians and Atheists in a foxhole
Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
Kevin, you are crazy. I know you are just doing this to get Ideas for your essay.
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:40:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
Shhhh, shut up Geoff, don't tell anyone. I actually find it quite fascinating.
quote:
I'm afraid you'd lose yer shirt on that bet!

And with regards to the bet, maybe I would lose my shirt, and every other article of clothing for that matter, but we aren't playing strip atheism here.

Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:11:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
Kevin, You should read How we Believe by Michael Shermer. It is enlightning both for the believer and the non-believer, and gives some psychological and historical reasons for why we believe in an all powerful diety.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Once, while running as fast as I could across a clearing that had been made by napalm, I stepped on what I thought was a burnt log.
My foot broke through and the ribs clamped down on my ankle like a bear trap. It was a human torso. I stopped running to hop around on one foot trying to shake the grisly thing off even though I was under fire.
In no way does combat remotely suggest the existence of a god of love. It is a place where you lose your faith, not gain it.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  15:32:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

Can you honestly say that if you were about to die you wouldn't sneak in a quick prayer ?

Implies giving up. Your god receives far too much credit and not enough of the blame. Your god is clearly malevolent.

To Slater and others a simple and sincere Thank You.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 11/28/2002 16:21:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.