Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  02:26:55  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
Is man really capable of a peacable existance? Can we ever live without wars, hatred or conflict? We are mammals with an appetite to hunt and conquer others that do not belong to our immediate pack or tribe. It seems more and more likely that we can not live in in harmony with each other. We talk of Peace as an ideal state of existance but we never seriously try to live that way. We find reasons both large and small to justify our discord and war-like existance. There seems to always be a justifiable reason for one person or group to hate another. Every attempt to get along is met with resistance.

I, myself, believe I could live happily without discord but I think I am in the minority. For all our talk of Peace we seem willing to throw the concept out the window the minute another culture doesn't agree with us. We need to be right in our belief of any subject or force others to agree with us.

The answer to the question "Can't we all just get along?" seems to be a resounding NO! As my health worsens I have no fear of death but I admit I feel sorry for those who are going to continue to live in a world where it seems likely religious differences, make believe lines on a map and a few MEN with personal agenda's are going to be given the power by the majority to make policies that will lead to destruction rather then letting sanity rule. Nuclear weapons, biological terrorism and chemical destruction at the hands of the few will cause death and destruction to the many and we will sit by and let it happen rather then stand up and be counted to stop it. Americans have to stop blaming foriegn goverments for the predictament we find ourself in and realize we are responsible for the negitive view of us as a people. Stop blaming the other guy and admit those who dislike us are not jealous but have a legitamate gripe about our superior atttitude.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  05:21:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Well, we don't all have to learn that. Those of us who understand that we can live in peace just have to kill the rest.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  08:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Well, we don't all have to learn that. Those of us who understand that we can live in peace just have to kill the rest.

Yes indeed! Let's get started right away!

Really, it's another, great question to lay on the UFO believers. If aliens actually came here, what would they find?

They would discover a planet dominated by a single, prolific, highly aggressive species that would love the chance to kill strangers for a change. Methinks that they would put their craft in high gear away from here. Abduct us? Yeesh! Who would want the hassle? We are far too much of a handful; far too addicted to throat-cutting. We hate far too well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Sentience and big brains have yet to be proven to have any, long-term, evolutionary survival value."

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hobbes

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:36:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hobbes a Private Message
So you're saying we should sit back and listen to the complaints and raghead fuckers fly planes into all of our skyscrapers? Sorry, but they declared the god damned Jyhad on us babe, and now the sky is going to fall on the bastards. We'll live in peace after we've extracted a toll for every life that has been taken from our people. There is a very distinct line between peace and pacifism. If you're not willing to fight to defend your country, then you just as well surrender to those that will. Wake up and smell the thorns; humans like to kill each other, and I'd rather be on the side that avoids being killed.

And Newton said, "y'= lim h->0 of [f(x+h)-f(x)]/[(x+h)-x], thus, Calculus was born, and Newton saw that it was good.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Sorry, but most of the hundreds of thousands of people killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and Yugoslavia and Panama and Grenada by the U.S. in the last few years would have been very happy to live in peace with the U.S.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Hobbes

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  13:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hobbes a Private Message
Yeah, and so would the "hundreds of thousands" of Americans killed in those conflicts. What is your point? Peace is impossible, at least it will be until people realize that there is no difference between us, and when religion is freed of the dogma of conflict. But don't try to blame the lack of peace in the world on America. Maybe I mis-spoke; there can really never be retribution for the WTC. What do you suggest? How would you stop terrorism? And do you really think that good old Sadam will live in peace with the world while he has control of the Iraqi military? Historical precedent indicates otherwise...

And Newton said, "y'= lim h->0 of [f(x+h)-f(x)]/[(x+h)-x], thus, Calculus was born, and Newton saw that it was good.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  13:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Yugoslavia? So you were for their slaughter of Bosnians? You keep throwing Yugoslavia in there as if you were asleep while the massacres were shown on TV. While some things you post are true and are good points, to have no filter on these matters makes your entire case look bad.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  14:00:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
The first step to end terrorism is to stop committing it, and stop supporting it.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  15:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Indeed, that's why we bombed Belgrade. To stop their terrorism...sorry, I mean genocide of the Bosnians.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  17:48:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
There's just not much evidence for that.

quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Indeed, that's why we bombed Belgrade. To stop their terrorism...sorry, I mean genocide of the Bosnians.

@tomic

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  17:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
So mass graves dug up by your buddies at the UN, interviews, photographs, TV footage don't mean anything to you? Why is it that when it suits you this sort of evidence is fine but when it isn't you play Darwin Alogos? What's evidence on Friday needs to be evidence on the other 6 days of the week or you look mighty silly.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  18:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I don't know what a Darwin Alogos is, but what you're saying is that the U.S. didn't stop any "genocide." (genocide, like terrorism, is what the other guys do) Make up your mind. The U.S. bombing of the people they were trying to "save" only increased the killing. It didn't solve anything, in fact it only made things worse. Much like Somalia.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  19:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Gorgo, sometimes you are right but when it comes to Yugoslavia you haven't done your research. So you are saying Milosovich should be set free because he's just a patsy? I said quite clearly that the US bombed Belgrade to stop the slaughter(actually it was Kosovo at the time) and succeeded where all the nations of Europe combined could not. Ummmmm, I don't know what you mean by "made things worse" because the war is over, the people overthrew Milosovich after a fraudulent election and the killing has stopped. I take it that this is not satisfactory to you and you want the bloodshed to resume because that is exactly what you are implying.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  05:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Again, @tomic you swallow State Department press releases whole and accuse me of not doing "research." Do some research for yourself. The U.S. and Western Europe aggravated the situation, they didn't solve it.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  21:02:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

So you're saying we should sit back and listen to the complaints and raghead fuckers fly planes into all of our skyscrapers? Sorry, but they declared the god damned Jyhad on us babe, and now the sky is going to fall on the bastards. We'll live in peace after we've extracted a toll for every life that has been taken from our people. There is a very distinct line between peace and pacifism. If you're not willing to fight to defend your country, then you just as well surrender to those that will. Wake up and smell the thorns; humans like to kill each other, and I'd rather be on the side that avoids being killed.

How do you spell relief?

S-T-R-A-W-M-A-N!

With the new added ingredient Ethnicslurrium to break up troublesome thought bubbles for faster action!

New, improved Strawman (TM),
When you've just gotta vent.

But seriously folks, the notion of keeping score of atrocities- the "we can't stop killing them now, they're ahead by two" thinking- is exactly what's kept the inhabitants of the pitiful remnants of Yugoslavia slaughtering each other over grievances going back to 1389.

It's kept sectarian violence a healthy industry in the north of Ireland since- when? and bids fair to keep the "Holy Land" a fine exemplar of Hell into the indeterminate future.

Our species desperately needs to realize that there ain't no Cosmic Bookie keeping watch on the point spread and that the most profitable thing to do is to call the game and see if we can't fix the field back up.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  01:13:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
Gee, Rag Heads. That just kinda proves my point. We don't need a few religous zealots killing a few thousands Americans when we can blow all the men women and children ragheads up and get on with proving we are the biggest bully on the block after all.

For the cooler heads who responded Thanks for making feel sure that I still do have a reason to hope.

Ragheads, no wonder they hate us.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.