The real face of Jesus
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  23:35:02  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
Has anyone actually read this article in Popular Science. This isn't the exact article but its pretty much the same thing @ www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,463793,00.html or
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1244037.stm
(Please note that these are not the article I read, but they are equally funny. Why do we think Jesus was white anyway?)

I had to laugh, because it makes sense that if Jesus did exist, who would have ever thought that he might have looked like a Jew. I mean seriously, you mean there is a chance that he wasn't a tall, skinny, long haired, white European man, who had no muscle even after being carpenter for the first 30 years of life.

I also laughed because thhe article as printed in Popular Science Magazine points out that it is very unlikely that Jesus would have had long hair, and specifically cites a quote from the Bible in which one of the apostles degrades men with long hair as looking like women. I guess thats why people feel the need to paint him with long hair.

I also laughed again because throughout the entire article it does not actually prove that Jesus existed, it just says that if he did exist this is probably what he looked like.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  01:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
quote:
For inspiration, religious artists looked to "miraculous" likenesses of Christ. The Turin Shroud (said to have been used in Christ's burial) is the most famous relic bearing his features, but it is not the only one.

Is it just me, or wasn't this "evidence" debunked long ago?
Something about the carbon dating being WAY off?
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  01:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
quote:
The carbon-dating results from three different internationally known laboratories agreed well with his date: 1355 by microscopy and 1325 by C-14 dating. The suggestion that the 1532 Chambery fire changed the date of the cloth is ludicrous. Samples for C-dating are routinely and completely burned to CO2 as part of a well-tested purification procedure. The suggestions that modern biological contaminants were sufficient to modernize the date are also ridiculous

Yes, your absolutely right. Yet another flaw in the evidence, or lack thereof in the articles.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  07:59:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

I had to laugh, because ...
I also laughed because ...
I also laughed again because ...

It looks as if you derive self esteem by deriding others.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  11:55:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
Are you saying there is a problem with laughing at others. Everything is funny when it happens to someone else. Except war. War sux.

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  15:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

Are you saying there is a problem with laughing at others. Everything is funny when it happens to someone else.
No. Actually, I'm saying that "it looks as if you derive self esteem by deriding others." Let's hope such puerile behavior derives from your youth.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  17:23:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Looks to me like the things LI laughed at were pretty funny.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  17:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I saw the article, and I thought it was odd that Popular Mechanic magazine would devote itself to what a man at that time might have looked like. Who cares and what does that have to do with Popular Mechanics?

Walk on water,then come talk to me.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  19:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
This is what I thought was funny.

quote:
The model's somewhat muscular features have a heartening "bloke down [at] the pub" feel.

YEAH! The Buddy Christ! Like @tomic's old avatar.
Go to Top of Page

a65phalcon

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  22:00:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit a65phalcon's Homepage  Send a65phalcon a Yahoo! Message Send a65phalcon a Private Message
Ahhh....reply to Shroud.....actually is was thought to be flwed due to a fire in the Church in which it was held for many years.
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  23:36:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
Ahhh....reply to Shroud.....actually is was thought to be flwed due to a fire in the Church in which it was held for many years.

No, I think that was a cheap trick. Pretty sure they ruled that out. Anyone have a link to some better info?
Go to Top of Page

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  06:21:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
Legalee Insane,
Don't mind ReasonableDoubt's "charming" comments. He often resorts to labeling folks as juveniles. Apparently he believes this makes his comments appear more adult.

You can "believe" what you want, but you do have to get your science right or you'll flunk science.
Edited by - chainsaw on 12/02/2002 06:23:11
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  11:14:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
quote:

Well phalcon, if you had read my previous quote thoroughly I already addressed the part about the fire, but if you didn't here is that specific part as found from a website I visited recently.
quote:
The suggestion that the 1532 Chambery fire changed the date of the cloth is ludicrous. Samples for C-dating are routinely and completely burned to CO2 as part of a well-tested purification procedure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.