New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  13:27:41  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos

TD,before you go on celebrating like you refuted one piece of probative evidence thats been presented you should acknowledge your bonehead blunder when you confused the passages in Josephus ...
Maybe Josephus deserves a thread of his own.

Now, tell us which passages, written when, and why do you deem them probative?

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.

Edited by - ConsequentAtheist on 12/13/2002 13:31:00

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  14:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
By the way, I do not think you can do much better than Kirby's Testimonium Flavianum as a good baseline/reference.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  17:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
It seems to me that the arguments for both sides on the passage in 20.9.1 are equally matched, and that there is no way to tell one way or the other whether it is an interpolation.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  22:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
My my you go away for a year and all kinds of REDACTIONS to what I said are alleged by you skeptics

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Edited by - darwin alogos on 11/14/2003 22:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  02:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

My my you go away for a year and all kinds of REDACTIONS to what I said are alleged by you skeptics

Welcome back Alogos.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  04:24:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Hey DA; welcome back! We've missed you.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  11:17:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
Errr. This is way of topic, but during your year sabatical did you encounter any new information on miniscule artifical structures on the Moon? The subject is of growing interest to me.

My apologetics for what might appear to be a thread hijack.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  18:11:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
To ORG yes the Moon is filled with green cheese I did't do the research but Art Bell affrimed it was TRUE??????

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
Edited by - darwin alogos on 11/15/2003 18:59:30
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  16:07:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
Welcome back, d/a. I hope things are well with you.

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  04:59:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Thank you all for the welcome two lay offs and relocating to another state makes little time to join internet chat.

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  19:06:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
Sounds like you've been through a tough period. Are you doing OK?

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  04:57:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
CA:
quote:
Sounds like you've been through a tough period. Are you doing OK?
Instead of tar and feathers I' getting welcomed at SFN so things are looking up.I agree Kirby's cite is very balanced.He seems to think while there some additons to the original text most is genuine,how about you?

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  19:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Instead of tar and feathers I' getting welcomed at SFN so things are looking up.

Tar and feathers? I'm hurt.

quote:
I agree Kirby's cite is very balanced.He seems to think while there some additons to the original text most is genuine,how about you?

The phrase "most is genuine" hardly seems to capture his position. Specifically, he appears to view the Testimonium as an interpolation (inauthentic), while generally accepting the authenticity of 20.9.1. It sounds OK to me.

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  04:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Kirby:While the argument concerning the non-commital nature of the reference isn't quite conclusive, it is certainly quite suggestive. The significance of the references to "called Christ" in the New Testament is exaggerated. Van Voorst observes:

For the few occurences of the phrase "called Christ" in the New Testament, see Matt 1:16 (Matthew's genealogy, where it breaks the long pattern of only personal names); Matt 27:17, 22 (by Pontius Pilate); John 4:25 (by the Samaritan woman). Twelftree, "Jesus in Jewish Traditions," 300, argues from these instances that "called Christ" is "a construction Christians used when speaking of Jesus" and therefore an indication that this passage is not genuine. He also cites John 9:11, but there the phrase is "called Jesus" and so does not apply to this issue. But if these passages are indicative of wider usage outside the New Testament, "called Christ" tends to come form non-Christians and is not at all typical of Christian usage. Christians would not be inclined to use a neutral or descriptive term like "called Christ"; for them, Jesus is (the) Christ.
Furthermore, I note that no extracanonical works in the second century use the phrase "Jesus who is called Christ," even though this would be the period when an interpolation would have to have been made.

John P. Meier argues:

...the way the text identifies James is not likely to have come from a Christian hand or even a Christian source. Neither the NT nor early Christian writers spoke of James of Jerusalem in a matter-of-fact way as "the brother of Jesus" (ho adelphos Iesou), but rather -- with the reverence we would expect -- "the brother of the Lord" (ho adelphos tou kyriou) or "the brother of the Savior" (ho adelphos tou soteros). Paul, who was not overly fond of James, calls him "the brother of the Lord" in Gal 1:19 and no doubt is thinking especially of him when he speaks of "the brothers of the Lord" in 1Cor 9:5. Hegesippus, the 2d-century Church historian who was a Jewish convert and probably hailed from Palestine, likewise speaks of "James, the brother of the Lord" (in Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History 2.23.4); indeed, Hegesippus also speaks of certain other well-known Palestinian Christians as "a cousin of the Lord" (4.22.4), the "brothers of the Savior" (3.25.5), and "his [the Lord's] brother according to the flesh" (3.20.1). The point of all this is that Josephus' designation of James as "the brother of Jesus" squares neither with NT nor with early patristic usage, and so does not likely come from the hand of a Christian interpolator. (p. 58) This argument is a strong one. A search of the ante-Nicene Church Fathers, the extracanonical writings, and the New Testament will produce no instance in which James is identified as "the brother of Jesus." It is thus not likely to be a phrase to come from a Christian pen when identifying James.

Conclusion
Proverbs 18:17 may well have been commenting on arguments concerning the Testimonium: "The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." The present author was once firmly convinced that both references in the Antiquities were authentic. After reading the study of Ken Olson that shows the vocabulary of the Testimonium to be not Josephan but rather Eusebian, I was inclined to regard both references as spurious. But now that I have found evidence that the reference in 20.9.1 does not require an earlier reference to Jesus, I am presently persuaded to regard the shorter reference as authentic.

Even if one is convinced that the passages are interpolated, there is a satisfactory explanation for the silence of Josephus on Jesus and Christianity. W. D. Davies explains:

But it is still more likely that the silence of Josephus is due to the character of his work: his career suggests what his aim was in his writings. He desired to remain in the good graces of the Roman Emperor: to do so he avoided in his history all that might offend Roman susceptibilities. To mention Christianity, a Messianic movement that proclaimed another King than Caesar (Acts 17:7), would be to expose Judaism, which in Rome might not be distinguished from Christianity, to "guilt by association." Perhaps Josephus would not cavil at discussing a dead Messianic movement, which no longer offered any threat to Rome, but Christianity was alive and militant. The part of prudence was to ignore it. (p. 66)
Maurice Goguel offers a similar explanation for what would be silence of Josephus:

So complete a silence is perhaps more embarrassing for the mythologists than for their opponents. By what right, indeed, should it be permissible to conclude from it that Jesus never existed, and not permissible to deny that a Christian movement existed in Palestine prior to the year 70? Since Josephus has been silent not only concerning Jesus, but also concerning Christianity, how is his silence to be explained? Uniquely by the character and the object of his work. The writer desired to flatter the Romans and gain their good graces. To do this he expunged from the picture he drew everything likely to offend or to excite their apprehension. Thus it is that he has scarcely at all spoken of the Messianic cult which nevertheless constituted the center of Jewish thought in the first century. That he did so was because this cult was a menace to Rome, for the Kingdom of the Messiah could only be built upon the ruins of the Empire. (p. 36)
But assuming that at least the shorter reference is authentic, what can we conclude from this? It shows that Josephus accepted the historicity of Jesus. Simply by the standard practice of conducting history, a comment from Josephus about a fact of the first century constitutes prima facie evidence for that fact. It ought to be accepted as history unless there is good reason for disputing the fact. Moreover, it is reasonable to think that Josephus heard about the deposition of Ananus as soon as it happened. Ed Tyler points out in correspondence, "The passage is not really about James, but about Ananus. It's the tale of how Ananus lost his job as High Priest. So why would Christians in Rome be the source for the tale of how a High Priest lost his job? Josephus was close at hand when it happened, and was a man of some standing in the Jewish community. I can't imagine that he missed it when it was news, and didn't find out about it until he talked to some Christians about 30 years later." Thus, Josephus' information about the identity of James brings us back to the period prior to the First Jewish Revolt. If Josephus referred to James as the brother of Jesus in the Antiquities, in all likelihood the historical James identified himself as the brother of Jesus, and this identification would secure the place of Jesus as a figure in history.

(Emph.mine) Granted your point he is referring to 20:9 here the main point is that he accepted the historical existence of Jesus of whom James was the brother.My point is that Kirby is using correct logic here and demonstrates a balanced approached unlike some of the responses I've seen on this cite.

Edited by - darwin alogos on 11/20/2003 04:28:09
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  19:55:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:

... the main point is that he accepted the historical existence of Jesus of whom James was the brother.My point is that Kirby is using correct logic here and demonstrates a balanced approached unlike some of the responses I've seen on this cite.
I agree with Kirby when he states: "in all likelihood the historical James identified himself as the brother of Jesus." The least artificially contentious explanation would seem to be the existence of an historical Jesus. So, d/a, you may have a new convert here.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  22:33:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Almost had me "converted," also. Except upon re-reading Kirby's conclusion, I realized there was a problem with this:
quote:
Simply by the standard practice of conducting history, a comment from Josephus about a fact of the first century constitutes prima facie evidence for that fact.
If such is the case, then I submit that history is practiced badly. Josephus' comment constitutes nothing more than prima facie evidence that Josephus believed that Jesus was historical.

Since Kirby's paper is primarily about whether or not the passages were authentic, the conclusion that Josephus actually believed that Jesus existed is supported. Taking that a step further, and claiming that it means that Jesus really existed (unless there is evidence to the contrary - see prima facie), is one step too far for my tastes. Especially since other similar prima facie evidence from other historians about other situations is known to be flat-out wrong.

According to Magen Broshi,
quote:
Was Josephus always correct? Certainly not. His inaccuracies range from vagueness to blatant exaggeration. Shaye Cohen accuses him of "inveterate sloppiness". The index to Cohen's book goes so far as actually to include entries for "exaggeration", "inconsistency and sloppiness" and "corrupt transmission of names and numbers". Indeed, even if it is accepted that copyists were responsible for not a few of his mistakes (some of which have been hinted at already), it still cannot be denied that he was by nature somewhat negligent.
Given the above, the difference between "we have confirmed that Josephus wrote X" and "since Josephus wrote X, X is true" becomes very large indeed.

The least contentious position appears to me to be this: that there is very little evidence for the historical Jesus. While some will take this as a reasonable exception to the rule that absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence (since many of Jesus' acts were more than simply 'noteworthy'), others will be content to take this position as it is: a withholding of judgement on whether or not Jesus actually lived and did the things claimed by the Bible, until such a time as more evidence comes to light, pro or con.

On the other hand, we have Darwin Alogos agreeing with Kirby that Josephus' comment(s) mean that Jesus actually lived, claiming that "To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world" (among other things), and generally insulting people who disagree with him. Such actions seem to me to be so far from the "balanced approached" [sic] he deems acceptable that the abbreviated cliche "pot-kettle-black" seems utterly appropriate.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds.