San Fran to Regulate Psychics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  14:25:49  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/12/20/BA83837.DTL

Ah jeez. I guess this is a good thing, but some of these quotes are painful:

quote:
The future looked cloudy for dozens of fortune-tellers and psychics in San Francisco on Thursday after legislation was proposed to require them to obtain permits, post their rates and stop tricking their clients.

Then none of them should be granted a permit!

quote:
Peskin introduced a 36-year-old San Francisco woman who lost $17,000 last year to a Richmond District fortune-teller.

quote:
The San Francisco Yellow Pages list no fewer than 105 psychics, 20 spiritual consultants and 17 astrologers.

Slater, you're surrounded by a sea of ignorance! How can you stand it?

quote:
Peskin said fortune-telling is an "age-old industry that is welcome in San Francisco" and said he did not want to discourage legitimate, modestly priced psychics, seers, tarot card readers or sellers of fortune cookies,

What the hell is a "legitimate" psychic?

And are they serious about including sellers of fortune cookies with the rest of these crooks?!

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  15:00:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
There is no such thing as a legitimate psychic in the sense that they actually have some kind of mystical powers. I believe the only sense a psychic can be legitimate is by not posting outrageous claims about their "powers" or at least posting a disclaimer that states what they do is purely for a persons entertainment purposes.

Anybody who actually believes in psychics is a crackpot, but there is obviously a distinct difference between psychics and con artists who claim to be psychics.

quote:
Peskin introduced a 36-year-old San Francisco woman who lost $17,000 last year to a Richmond District fortune-teller.

How can you honestly loose that much money? How can you let yourself be knowingly swindled by something so outrageously false?

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  15:08:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tokyodreamer

What the hell is a "legitimate" psychic?
Probably the ones who saw it coming ...

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  07:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
"San Francisco to Regulate Physics!"

Somehow it figures. The "Caliphonya Mentality". Berkley and all that! I don't even want to read anything in or about this entire posting, TD---even its very topic is that disgusting. It makes one wish that the Japanese had invaded the West Coast 60 years ago!

(And this comes from someone who once, on another board, started a thread titled "Should Congress outlaw the Big Bang Theory?"---posted with seriousness and giving full rationale.)

In the Army Reserve, I once served under a Berkley Physics graduate (and a Ph.D. in Philosophy from a not-too-be-mentioned Texas school). The whole Caliphonya method--from Damn Diego and Los Diablos in the South to the fascists in the RedWooded North--just smacks of a State which would allow one of its cities to try to "Regulate Physics". Physics!! of all things! IIRC, noone has tried to regulate Physics since they imprisoned Galileo!

Blech!!! This has to be the worst thread-subject I've ever read anywhere on the WorldWorthlessWeb!! Double-blech!!

(Edited to remove clown-smiley.)

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Edited by - Computer Org on 12/21/2002 07:45:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  08:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Gracious, CO! Hey, if you feel that strongly about it, I'll gaze into my crystal lava lamp for you. Aha! I see that you will soon have a loving and stable relationship with Maalox (chuckle).

I see this as merely another unenforcable law. My crystal lava lamp sez that psyhic quackery, honest(?) as well as grifts, will continue unabated in 'Frisco.

As for those who lost boo-coo bucks, well, an old saying says that you can't con an honest man. Most, if not all were hoping for something for nothing, or trying to comunicate with the impossible, which might be sort of the same thing. The best fertilizers for gullibility are greed and ignorance. Therefore, the gullible, like the poor, will always be with us.

Hmm. That opens the door for a cheap shot at religion, but I think I'll pass.

I wonder just how much of this crap the city officials are swallowing.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  12:43:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
The article says that they are only outlawing a few certain well known tricks. What about the rest? Is it okay to trick your client as long as you use a trick that is not on the banned list? Doesn't the banning of only some tricks give some psychics an unfair buisness advantage?

You could make a point that giving them permits is somehow legitimzing them. How long until someone sues California because he was cheated by a fortune teller with a permit?

They should at least make the forms to get a permit all blank lines. True psychis will know what to put in where.

To any insufficiently advanced person technolgy becomes indistinguishable from magic.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  12:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
They should at least make the forms to get a permit all blank lines. True psychis will know what to put in where.

Hehehehehe..... If there was some such thing as a, "true psyhic," they all would have seen this coming and voted Republican!

Maybe they all did.........

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

TEDPOX

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  15:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TEDPOX a Private Message
FINALLY! A major city with the balls to enact legislation to protect people from themselves. People will believe anything that makes them feel better regardless if it's a lie. Even the unbelievable, if it soothes pain or fears, is enough for someone to pay another to tell it to them.

So what do we have? A load of liars that are now up in arms because they may find it harder to swindle some idiots out of their money, plus, the $500 licensing fee. I think it's a great slap in their collective faces. Perhaps they should have to tell each sucker/client that their reading is for entertainment purposes only just like the outcall massage disclaimers (nonsexual). Yeah right.

Not that I know anything about getting massages from some chick named Roxy. It was just a prostate massage...really.

I've had about enough of me.
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  22:16:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
All the real psychics do not have to work with the public, they leave that to the fakes. The real ones play the lottery.

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  00:33:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

"San Francisco to Regulate Physics!"

Somehow it figures. The "Caliphonya Mentality". Berkley and all that! I don't even want to read anything in or about this entire posting, TD---even its very topic is that disgusting. It makes one wish that the Japanese had invaded the West Coast 60 years ago!

What do you mean HAD? They did invade it, just didn't get very far. Only to Long Beach. Of course now they are here anyway, just as the Germans are and everyone else.
People in S. F. are wierd.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  00:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lars_H

How long until someone sues California because he was cheated by a fortune teller with a permit?

Haven't you heard. We (Californians) are broke. They can sue all they want, I for one am sick and tired of paying taxes and seeing no benefits from them. Sorry, it's off the subject but I HATE the politicians here as much as I hate P. Bush.
We need to stop making stupid laws. If someone is idiotic enough to go to a fortune teller, let them waste their money.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  09:51:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Humph. What nerve! I would sit here and argue the fact but I have to drive over to Woodside to bring Christmas presents to my friends the talking gorillas. I learned my lesson at trick or treat. They are both getting lengths of Hawaiian "Aloha" fabric, in their favorite colors, to play with.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Edited by - Slater on 12/23/2002 09:51:48
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  09:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Just make sure Koko's is a little smaller, eh?

[edited to add: I suppose, though, it wouldn't hurt as much to get pelted with some cloth.]
Edited by - Boron10 on 12/23/2002 09:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:13:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
They are the same size and pattern (white hibiscus on colored background) Ndume's is blue and herself gets red.
It isn't what Koko asked for for Christmas though. She said what she wanted was a nose. She thinks she would look prettier if she had a human nose. Frankly I don't think you could improve on her looks. She's lovely just as she is.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  00:42:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

Humph. What nerve! I would sit here and argue the fact but I have to drive over to Woodside to bring Christmas presents to my friends the talking gorillas. I learned my lesson at trick or treat. They are both getting lengths of Hawaiian "Aloha" fabric, in their favorite colors, to play with.

Well Slater, I heard that's what you guys up there think of us down here.
Talking Gorillas, eh! Gee, and all we have is talking Porpoises, who I'm sure would like to wear a shirt made from Hawaiian fabric.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:14:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
Ah. Psychics.

Ah! Yes. Psychics.

Maalox. Where's the Maalox?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.