New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  18:31:29  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
I just got the worst virus I have ever had(computer). It was unbelievable shut down everything, firewall, virus software everything. Finally got it all cleaned up and I was thinking it would be great to catch the bastard that made it and pound on him/her for a while.

Then I was thinking maybe Mcaffe has a virus protecting division, and a virus creating division that stays one step ahead of the protecting part. Makes sense and cents.......any thoughts?

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-

Edited by - Fireballn on 02/08/2003 18:36:58

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  18:45:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Feds would shut them down in two nanoseconds.
Make that half a nanosecond.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  18:49:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
What the Feds don't know.....

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  21:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Fireballn wrote:
quote:
Then I was thinking maybe Mcaffe has a virus protecting division, and a virus creating division that stays one step ahead of the protecting part. Makes sense and cents.......any thoughts?
Yeah - the first time I heard that theory was when the first person in my office installed McAffe (late 1980s maybe?), and the rest of us were standing around cooking up whacky conspiracy theories. Of course, our theories didn't have two divisions, but the very same people working on creating virii and cleaning routines. Cheaper that way, to have the programmers write both sets of code at the same time, but just hold back the cleaning routines until somebody raises a stink about the particular virii they were written to clean up.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  23:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Regarding your theory on VIRUSES , the risk far outweighs the benefits. There are plenty of hackers and script kiddies and assholes out there, so companies have no need to write their own to keep themselves in business.
Edited by - Tokyodreamer on 02/08/2003 23:02:14
Go to Top of Page

Antie
Skeptic Friend

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  23:30:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Antie's Homepage  Send Antie an ICQ Message Send Antie a Private Message
> Regarding your theory on VIRUSES ,

THANK YOU! I'm a lover of the Latin language and I really dislike those "viri" and "virii" things.

The funny thing is that the excellent Perseus actually shows "vira" (http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cgi-bin/morphindex?lookup=vira&type=begin&lang=la&searchText=&options=Sort+Results+Alphabetically&formentry=1) as a nominative plural of "virus"!

Antie. DIES GAUDII.

Facies Fabulosarum Feminarum

If you can name all six of the females in the picture above without looking up their names, and you can read the Latin phrase, pat yourself on the back. You're smart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  00:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
TD wrote:
quote:
Regarding your theory on VIRUSES...
From that site:
quote:
*Virii is still completely silly, so don't do that; otherwise, everyone will know you're just a blathering script kiddie.
[Homer Simpson voice]Craaaap! Crap, crap, crap...[/Homer]

Good grief. The double-i was what I was taught in high school, in 10th-grade biology class. I never thought to look it up in the last 20 years (not that I've been using the word on a regular basis or anything).

As a "lover of the Latin language," Antie, I'm sure you've already heard this one, but it's the best I can do in reparation for my massive screw-up:

Julius Caesar walks into a bar, sits down, and says to the bartender, "give me a martinus." The bartender says, "don't you mean 'martini'?" Julius replies, "if I'd wanted more than one of them, I would have asked the first time."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  22:28:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.
- Dave W.
Dave's Psoriasis Info

Nicely done site Dave. Very neat. Wish I knew how to make something like that for my own site.

Oh, and to everyone else, I don't believe in computer viruses.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.