Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Idiot Professor-->you've got to read this.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  09:18:18  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
see: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-12/uow-wam121802.php

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  09:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
Now, that is the most verbose and sophisticated version of Pascal's Wager I have ever seen. And it still fails to move me.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:05:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Funny. I never felt that I was taking a risk. It must be that "underdeveloped ability to inhibit their impulses."

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
It's okay. While he was writing that, I took his wallet.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  14:18:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

It's okay. While he was writing that, I took his wallet.

Now, now, Gorgo.

You gotta share.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  18:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Bet it was a vinyl KMart wallet with a pic inside of June, Wally and the Beav.
Oh, and a discount card from Lilly's whorehouse!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  07:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
... Not being religious is similar to any other shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior that some men ? primarily young males ? engage in, such as assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape."

While (and I don't recall where I saw this stat) 99% of the inmate population identify themselves as being religious.

I suspect that they are still asking the wrong question...

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Iggy

USA
1 Post

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  14:02:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Iggy an AOL message  Send Iggy a Yahoo! Message Send Iggy a Private Message
quote:
"Recent studies of biochemistry imply that both male irreligiousness and male lawlessness are rooted in the fact that far more males than females have an underdeveloped ability to inhibit their impulses, especially those involving immediate gratification and thrills."
Ever feel like the tide of sexism is a-changing? I have major doubts about this having anything to do with why men are less religious then women. (I also have major doubts about the validity of his conclusions from those “Recent studies of biochemistry.”) To be honest, I don't think that the behaviors that he's bringing together to support his thesis are as related as he's suggesting. I'm willing to agree that men have different biological drives then women do (from our hunter-gatherer days), but the connection between these biological impulses and men not being religious are only implied, based on an assumption of the need that religion fills. I take it from his article that our friend Joel believes that not being religious can be considered universally dangerous, playing on a mans biological need to push the envelope on what he can get away with. He fails to see the logical and practical considerations of being religious. He also fails to disclose just what need it is that IS being filled by being a godly sort. Once we figure out what need it is that women can fill by being godly that men can not or do not need to fill in that way, then the question answers itself. And for fear of being marked as sexist, this is where I stop.

WARNING: Morals.sys corrupt
(A)bort, (R)etry, run for (CON)gress?
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  15:37:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
quote:
Stark said lower rates of male religiousness is a form of risk-taking behavior just as criminality is, and men are far more likely to commit crimes than women.

I think the poor deluded fool is ignoring the pressure on males to 'provide'.
quote:
risky and impulsive behavior that some men – primarily young males – engage in, such as assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape."

He can't be serious? How on earth can he compare murder and rape with the refusal to believe in fairy tales. Also, Let's not forget that his report relies heavily on the supposition that a god exists. How else could us murdering, rapist, thieves be considered to be taking a risk?
I can't help but be reminded of two recent topics posted here.
1) more male than female sceptics.
2) females more readily believe in the paranormal.
I'm not being sexist in any way here, but I think this report is an extension on those two threads.

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  13:26:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
While (and I don't recall where I saw this stat) 99% of the inmate population identify themselves as being religious.

Here's your source;
http://holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

Now, here's the problem. A good Christian can claim that these aren't really Christians. They only make the claim to facilitate early release.

Of course, how can we really know what another's belief system is beyond what they self-identify with?

Next, since these convicts are already known to be immoral people, then, according to a good Christian, they are in fact lying to destroy the good moral representation of the true Christian. Unfortunately, Christians historically haven't needed much help in that department.

I can say this, in my experience with convicted felons, I have yet to meet one that has not claimed some sort of Christian belief. This is only anecdotal, but it has helped to shape my opinions. I find little reason to doubt the results of the prison - religious affiliation letter.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  17:36:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Professor Rodney Stark seems to be unknowingly stumbling through some of the territory that was already covered in much more insightful speculations by the late Princeton psychologist Julian Jaynes. Except: Jaynes did not equate a tendency toward religiousness in females with "immoral behavior in males." That's narrow and silly.

Stark states: "Not being religious is similar to any other shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior that some men – primarily young males – engage in, such as assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape." That view runs independent of a historical precedent of "assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape" being done by young men in the name of religion.

With regard to women being more receptive to religiousness than men, in general, I seem to remember Jaynes noting a slight difference in the connective tissues separating intuitive and visionary areas in the brains of females, and also the historic preference of female "Oracles," such as the Oracle at Delphi, before the rise of Christianity. Though "Holy Men" were in many ways equally able to have "visions" and be filled with religious fervor. Jaynes saw the female Oracles as harkening back to a quest for authorization and justification for human behavior, within his proposed bicameral mind era. Likewise, he saw the religious rituals of the Church, Mosque, and Synagogue as actually ceremonies to impart authorization, and quest to obtain a pre-conscious mentality - but that's another story. Obviously, I think Stark's explanation is simplistic.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.