New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  09:05:57  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Here is something I thought would go well with the recent discussion about the connection between atheism and criminality:

The 2002 Vatican crime report revealed, that the Holy See with a crime rate of 133.6%, is one of the most criminal places on earth.

BBC link

Imagine, that happening in a country, that has over two popes per square-kilometer.

To any insufficiently advanced person technolgy becomes indistinguishable from magic.

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  11:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
But, taken statistically, the figures paint a picture of rampant criminality in the Holy See, with 87.2% of the population committing a civil offence, and penal offences running at a staggering 133.6%.

Ok, dumb question time, but what does the "133.6%" mean here? Certainly it can't mean 133.6% of the population is committing penal offenses? [does it mean the same people are committing multiple crimes in different incidences?]

And insulting the police and civil servants is a crime? Bah!
Edited by - Tokyodreamer on 01/10/2003 11:46:44
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  14:35:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lars_H

Here is something I thought would go well with the recent discussion about the connection between atheism and criminality:

The 2002 Vatican crime report revealed, that the Holy See with a crime rate of 133.6%, is one of the most criminal places on earth.

BBC link

Imagine, that happening in a country, that has over two popes per square-kilometer.

Hmm,....more than one way to fleece a flock.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  20:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Tokyodreamer
quote:
Originally posted by Lars H
But, taken statistically, the figures paint a picture of rampant criminality in the Holy See, with 87.2% of the population committing a civil offence, and penal offences running at a staggering 133.6%.

Ok, dumb question time, but what does the "133.6%" mean here? Certainly it can't mean 133.6% of the population is committing penal offenses? [does it mean the same people are committing multiple crimes in different incidences?]

Offences per capita, from the BBC page:

397 civil offences - crime rate of 87.2%
(These would be er...uh...criminal-type civil offences, I guess.
Maybe they mean polite muggers.)

608 criminal offences - crime rate of 133.6%

Population: Just over 500

-----
BBC must have got these from the Dept. of Meaningless Statistics.
Just think...if a single crime gets committed in an uninhabited
desert, the crime rate jumps from zero to undefined.

-- Henry

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:50:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And insulting the police and civil servants is a crime? Bah! (Emphasis added.)

I think that killing a civil servant should be a crime.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  13:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lars_H

BBC link

Interesting. Statistically worthless, but interesting.

Unlike the contention that atheism leads to criminality, this actually has statistics to back it up.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  14:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But, taken statistically, the figures paint a picture of rampant criminality in the Holy See, with 87.2% of the population committing a civil offence, and penal offences running at a staggering 133.6%.

[/quote]

It means that 608 penal crimes were committed for a population of 455. Although 90% of the crimes were committed by visitors, that is not taken into account for the per capita percentage.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  14:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Tokyodreamer

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But, taken statistically, the figures paint a picture of rampant criminality in the Holy See, with 87.2% of the population committing a civil offence, and penal offences running at a staggering 133.6%.

And insulting the police and civil servants is a crime? Bah! (Emphasis added.)
[/quote]I think that killing a civil servant should be a crime.
[/quote]

Sometimes I get conflicted about that. Some civil servants make you want to climb over the desk and throttle them.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  22:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
This may seem like a rather obvious thing to ask: Where the hell are the police in this place?

I realize that the population is only 500 people, but how many police officers do they have? Two?

I find it amazing how much crime goes down when it is at least apparent that there might be some police officers around.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  05:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

This may seem like a rather obvious thing to ask: Where the hell are the police in this place?

I realize that the population is only 500 people, but how many police officers do they have? Two?

I find it amazing how much crime goes down when it is at least apparent that there might be some police officers around.

They have the famous Swiss Guard to keep order in the vatican.

You have to keep in mind the extreme size of the Vatican. The CIA World Factbook gives the area comparison of about 0.7 times the size of The Mall in Washington, DC.

Trating the Vatican like an actual country and trying to compute its crime rate is silly at best. That is why I said the thing about the Holy See having two Popes per squarekilometer. It is statistically true but still completly meaningless.

You would do better comparing the number of crimes comitted in the Vatican with places like Disneyland.

Then you also have to keep in mind, that this is still a tourism attraction inside Italy. Have you ever been to a tourism center in Italy? Do you still have your wallet?

To any insufficiently advanced person technolgy becomes indistinguishable from magic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.45 seconds.