Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  19:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Don't let the website door hit you in the arse on the way out.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  20:00:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
To attack an opponent in an argument is an obvious sign of the weakness of your argument.

This is pretty funny. Jmcginn, you caught him being Intellectually Dishonest (what the ID in ID theory stands for) He doesn't deny it. He doesn't rationalize it, and he certainly doesn't apologize for it. Rather he attacks you for mentioning his poor behavior.
No lack of ego there. No surprise he thinks that the Holy Trinity is his dentist.
Edited by - Slater on 01/09/2003 20:01:38
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  20:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Jc attacked your reasoning, your "facts" and the fact that you didn't back up your claims sufficiently or at all really. I can't blame you for giving up. You were bluffing and he called your high ace because he had a full house. I bet you feel your faith diminished in the face of this. The truth doesn't have to hurt you know. Education is only painful when you don't learn from your mistakes so you can move on to greater learning. You have opted to languish in the whirling cesspool of ignorance better known as creationism. Good luck.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

NottyImp
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  05:48:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NottyImp a Private Message
A simple phrase that should be taught to Creationists (in fact, it should be taught to pretty much everyone):

"I don't know much about this, but my understanding is... what's your take on it?"

As I get older, I find myself using it more and more: it's really useful for finding things out from other people.

"My body is a temple - I desecrate it daily."
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  02:34:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
It's too bad Doomar left. I'm sure the whole board will miss bashing him too. He is altimately the fuel that keeps the atheist fire burning. Everyone will not admit it, but if it wasn't for people like him, there would be no fun in being an atheist. The facts are stacked for the atheist and to defend creation in a logical sense is futile. For slater to state that he doesn't mind that doomar disappears is a misnomer. Everybody can not wait for another like him to come by to be dismantled.
I think Doomar is a necessary piece in the truth gathering process. Look at the responses when someone states a controversial topic. People like the blood bath, it is intellectual gladiators. Everyone wants a piece to show their intellectual muscle. You might state you don't want him around....but secretly I think you want him right were he is, wrong and vulnerable.

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  07:22:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fireballn

It's too bad Doomar left. ... You might state you don't want him around....but secretly I think you want him right were he is, wrong and vulnerable.
Why? We apparently still have you, and dealing with the wrong and pretentious is always more challenging.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  08:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
I agree with Fireballn a bit, however, these fundy guys are on a mission. I don't think they actually learn anything. You have to remember, this is an every day intellectual discussion for us, but if Doomar can't "prove" his position, he loses his salvation. He is literally fighting for his everlasting life. Pretty heavy stuff if you think about it.

You can "believe" what you want, but you do have to get your science right or you'll flunk science.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  15:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Fireballn, I think you miss the point about discussion boards. Isn't it more than obvious that having a debate requires opposing viewpoints? If everyone sits around and agrees there is no debate and little is learned. A debate is only a bloodbath when one side comes whoefully unprepared or their side has nothing to go against the other. I think doomar in some way realized he was holding an empty bag while slater, jc, and CA have very large bags filled with facts.

I think it's very telling that people that are impressed by creationism and intelligent design, while perhaps educated and sometimes articulate, know nothing about or nearly nothing natural sciences.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Antie
Skeptic Friend

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  16:49:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Antie's Homepage  Send Antie an ICQ Message Send Antie a Private Message
> Evolution is both a fact and a theory just like gravity is both a
> fact and a theory.

I know quite a few people who would answer this by saying "Yeah, well, gravity is a law, but evolution isn't. So balls to your statement."

Antie. DIES GAUDII.

Facies Fabulosarum Feminarum

If you can name all six of the females in the picture above without looking up their names, and you can read the Latin phrase, pat yourself on the back. You're smart.
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  21:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
Chainsaw, I do not think Doomar was fighting for his everlasting life, I think he was fighting for the everlasting life of everybody else (In a strange way). He was trying to force feed a skeptic board.....not a good idea.

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

NottyImp
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  04:45:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NottyImp a Private Message
And yet... and yet... I'm still amazed and confounded by the mind-set that people like Doomar display. Ask them to find a decent school for their kids to attend, or to pick the best insurance policy, and they'll happily use a method that looks not a little like a simplified version of the scientific method to do this. Perhaps even if you asked them to verify a simple (un-challenging) scientific fact, they would make a decent fist of coming up with a testable hypothesis, designing an experiment and collecting the data. Ask them to apply these same methods to the supernatural, however, and suddenly it all breaks down. I still have difficulty understanding that.

"My body is a temple - I desecrate it daily."
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  10:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Antie, you send a chill up my spine.
Science is mandatory in high school. It's on TV all the time, there's even a Science channel.
But you don't understand something as simple as what a "law" is, do you? You are probably in the majority. It's a very, very sad thing.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

Antie, you send a chill up my spine.
Science is mandatory in high school. It's on TV all the time, there's even a Science channel.
But you don't understand something as simple as what a "law" is, do you? You are probably in the majority. It's a very, very sad thing.

I was hoping that Antie was just being sarcastic, but maybe that was just wishful hoping .

Antie I do hope you know that the law of gravity and the basic laws of motion were shown to not be 100% accurate. Since they are simply observations that seem to remain constant they were found to be different when observed under certain conditions thus the laws are actually false under certain conditions. (Very small entities or at very high speeds the laws of motion and gravity break down).

I also hope you read over this thread and realize that a law and a theory are separate entities and a theory never becomes a law, a law is an observation, a theory is an explanation, there is the law of gravity as mentioned (an observation of the effects of gravity) above and the theory of gravity as well (which explains how gravity works), and a theory is the ultimate goal of science (not a law).

Another good example would be:
Under certain conditions the law of gravity and laws of motion break down and are false. It could well be that under certain conditions the law of biogenesis (all life comes from other life) could well break down and life could evolve from non-life. The evidence for this under certain conditions continues to mount.
Go to Top of Page

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
Hey how in the hell did I get the initals Jc? Those are way to close to the initals of the mythical jerk from around 2 kya who saved all those who thought he was real and tortured everone else forever. No way do I want that rap.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
jmcginn, as that was as thorough an ass-kicking as I've seen, we must now consider you an origins-messiah. Just think, those initials might one day evoke thoughts of you, rather than that pious fraud.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.