Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  19:13:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
DaveW.:
quote:
Easily, if you're talking about common English usage. Anyone can say "that there logic stuff don't work" without even
knowing what the word 'logic' means.
What kind "Skeptic" babbel is this? So every time someone says "Its raining outside." our first inquiry should be "Do you Know the three laws of rational thought?" sheese! Your next example fails the test too,[DaveW.]
quote:
And if we're not talking about common English, but instead the technical meanings, then I believe it's really quite
difficult to show, using sound and valid logical constructs, that those same constructs are invalid and/or unsound,
except in certain tiny subsets of constructs (paradoxes). If that's true, then you really cannot deny the entirety of
logic using logic, and so DA's statement is still ridiculous.
you have used the first law(LID) you have identified a subject,you have then used the second law(LEM)and excluded what it is your not talking about,and finally you have used the third law(LNC) and said that you can't both affirm and deny the validity of your propositions at the same time.Therefore,the opposite is true to statement: so DA's statement is still ridiculous.Your attempt to refute my statement is "ridiculous",MINE STILL STANDS.

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/12/2003 19:31:34
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  20:48:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
CA:
quote:
"No" is not a logical construct.
And neither is the letter "A".However,when used to convey information both are.Example, A is not B."No" when used in response to a question,such as,"Since you reject the criteria set up by secular Classical Historians to evaluate the reliability historical documents,do you have a replacement criteria of your own?" and you respond "No. "Or if it is a command (if you saw your child about to swallow rat poison) and shouted "NO!" presumably you wouldn't mean the opposite "Yes".So it seems that both you and DaveW fall prey to try and To deny logic you must use it, like gravity those who fail to respect it get hurt.

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  21:32:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
So DA is now rewriting logic? here's a title, the Idiot's Guide to Stupidity.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  23:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Atomic:
quote:
So DA is now rewriting logic? here's a title, the Idiot's Guide to Stupidity.
I would never infringe in your area A-Boy

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  07:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
DA wrote:
quote:
What kind "Skeptic" babbel is this? So every time someone says "Its raining outside." our first inquiry should be "Do you Know the three laws of rational thought?" sheese!
Of course not. But if anyone says "it's logically impossible for it to be raining outside," we should.
quote:
you have used the first law(LID) you have identified a subject,you have then used the second law(LEM)and excluded what it is your not talking about,and finally you have used the third law(LNC) and said that you can't both affirm and deny the validity of your propositions at the same time.Therefore,the opposite is true to statement: so DA's statement is still ridiculous.Your attempt to refute my statement is "ridiculous",MINE STILL STANDS.
Huh. Those don't seem to be the "three laws of rational thought," but rather the three principles of Aristolean syllogism. And it's funny, but Googling for "laws of rational thought" brings up more pages which are anti-science than it does pages which explain what the laws supposedly are.

Your assertion still stands? Then prove it. Create a set of logical propositions that are both valid and sound which demonstrate that the system of logic and assumptions you've used are invalid and/or unsound. This I've gotta see.
quote:
So it seems that both you and DaveW fall prey to try and To deny logic you must use it...
The only "logic" I deny is yours, DA, because it doesn't very logical.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  07:31:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org: Not is one of the fundamental of logical constructs,--if not the most fundamental.
When you learn the difference between the declarative "No" and the logical "Not", get back to me.

"No" is a specialized form of the logical operator "not", by dear CsequAth.

For example, if someone says:
quote:
"Do you have anything pertinent to say about . . . ?"
and the answer is:
quote:
"No."
logical rehashing the English yields the result:
quote:
"not (I have something pertinent to say about . . . .)"
Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Edited by - Computer Org on 02/13/2003 07:36:25
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  19:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
waltfristoe:
quote:
The NT does contain blunders:

1. The "Slaughter of the Innocents" is not recorded anywhere outside the Bible, even though Josephus went to great
lengths to describe the atrocities of Herod the Great. (Mt 2:16-18)

2. Herodias was Herod's wife, according to Josephus, not Phillip's wife (whose wife was Salome). (Mt 14:3)

3. According to Josephus, John was killed for inciting the people to the point of rebellion, not for condemning Herod's
(or anyone else's) relationships. (Mt 14:3)
Before I dismantle your alleged "NT blunders" I have some questions on your use of Josephus as a source for supposedly contradicting the NT.First, one of your own "Skeptics" ConsequentAtheist wrote a post on another thread(Was NT Written by Orthodox Jews p.9)where he claimed:
quote:

While I cannot speak to Philostratus, I would suggest that you are overly naive (read ignorant) when it comes to
Josephus. See, for example:

quote:

According to Josephus the death of the 960 inhabitants of Masada and the destruction of the palace and the possessions were
the premeditated acts of all the people acting in unison. But the archaeological remains cannot be reconciled with this view. ...

Josephus needs no apology for these inventions and embellishments since practically all the historians of antiquity did such
things. But if an apology were demanded, Josephus could respond that his narrative required inventiveness. ...

- see Masada: Literary Tradition, Archaeological Remains, and the Credibility of Josephus

my question to you is do you share this view and if so how is it you use a source with known historic blunders in an attempt to discredit the NT? Second,according to another one of your "Skeptics",Atomic if a historian makes ONE ERROR he is unreliable (DJREpt,5) do you share his opinion?(ed mis.wd)

Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/13/2003 20:29:39
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  20:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
waltfristoe:
quote:
The NT does contain blunders:

1. The "Slaughter of the Innocents" is not recorded anywhere outside the Bible, even though Josephus went to great
lengths to describe the atrocities of Herod the Great. (Mt 2:16-18)

2. Herodias was Herod's wife, according to Josephus, not Phillip's wife (whose wife was Salome). (Mt 14:3)

3. According to Josephus, John was killed for inciting the people to the point of rebellion, not for condemning Herod's
(or anyone else's) relationships. (Mt 14:3)
    1.The fact Joe does't mention the "Slaughter" is irrelevant,as you also point out it is within his nature to carry out such an action(he had 3 of his own sons put to death).
  • 2.Yes your quite right Herodias was Herod's wife,however she was first married to Phillip(Jos.Ant.XVIII,vs's 1,4)
  • 3.First,neither one of these accounts contradict each other.Both agree that John was arrested,both mention that John had quite a large following,both agree that Herod had John killed.Where you try and create a problem is with the reason for his death.Did it ever occur to you that becauseJohn had such a large following and was condemning Herod for his marrying his brother's wife that "the people" [were getting close]to rebelling ? So far thats 3 strikes and it doesn't get better.

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  01:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
waltfristoe:(Alleged NT "BLUNDERS")
quote:
4. According to Rabbinic literature, prior to the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE, only priests were required to wash
before they ate. After this date Rabbinic law required that all Jews wash before meals. (Mt 15:1)

5. Teachers did not acquire the title Rabbi until late in the first century. (Mt 23:8)

6. Jesus said that the Temple would be destroyed such that "there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that
shall not be thrown down", but the Western Wall (also called the Wailing Wall) of the Temple still stands today. (Mt
24:1-2)

7. Under Roman law, stealing was not a capital offence. (Mt 27:38)

8. Herod was the tetrarch not king. (Mk 6:14)

9. The Sabbath ended in the evening, at sundown, not anywhere near dawn. (Mt 28:1)

10. The Praetorium (Pilate's residence) was in Caesarea, not Jerusalem. (Mk 15:16)

These should be enough to refute your claim of no blunders.
  • 4.Since you don't supply a source I'll have to guess at what "Rabbinic literature" you are referring to.After the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70 a body Jews settled at Jamnia where they codified their oral traditions.If this is what you meant you can hardly make a case that someone writing before Jamnia(Matthew AD60)is in error about oral traditions that weren't written down some hundred years latter.
  • 5.This objection would have caused a shock to two of the most famous Rabbis BC Rabbi Shammai and Hillel(http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/biography/hillel.html)
  • 6.Do you know the diffrence between a building[s] and a wall?
[list]
  • 7.The greek states that they were robbers(leistai) not thieves (kleptai) and since "a notorious prisoner" named Barabbas was to be crucified with them they probably also were partners in crime with him too. 8.The word tetrarch means to divied by 4.The kingdom was divided by 4,Mark writing to a Romans used a term they were familiar with c.f.Mt.14:1.

• To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
    Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/14/2003 01:43:16
    Go to Top of Page

tw101356
    Skeptic Friend

USA
    333 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by darwin alogos

quote:
    4. According to Rabbinic literature, prior to the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE, only priests were required to wash
    before they ate. After this date Rabbinic law required that all Jews wash before meals. (Mt 15:1)

5. Teachers did not acquire the title Rabbi until late in the first century. (Mt 23:8)

6. Jesus said that the Temple would be destroyed such that "there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that
    shall not be thrown down", but the Western Wall (also called the Wailing Wall) of the Temple still stands today. (Mt

9. The Sabbath ended in the evening, at sundown, not anywhere near dawn. (Mt 28:1)

10. The Praetorium (Pilate's residence) was in Caesarea, not Jerusalem. (Mk 15:16)

• 4.Since you don't supply a source I'll have to guess at what "Rabbinic literature" you are referring to.After the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70 a body Jews settled at Jamnia where they codified their oral traditions.If this is what you meant you can hardly make a case that someone writing before Jamnia(Matthew AD60)is in error about oral traditions that weren't written down some hundred years latter.
    • 5.This objection would have caused a shock to two of the most famous Rabbis BC Rabbi Shammai and Hillel(http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/biography/hillel.html)
    [list]
  • 7.The greek states that they were robbers(leistai) not thieves (kleptai) and since "a notorious prisoner" named Barabbas was to be crucified with them they probably also were partners in crime with him too. 8.The word tetrarch means to divied by 4.The kingdom was divided by 4,Mark writing to a Romans used a term they were familiar with c.f.Mt.14:1.

• 5. The title Rabbi has been applied retroactively.
    Read the glossary (http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/gloss.html#r)

6. I believe a wall is what you get when you have at least 'one
    stone left upon another'. Jesus said there'd be nothing left,
    but there is.

8. The word tetrarch does not mean divided by four. A tetrarches is "a ruler who governed the fourth part of a country...in general the title of a petty prince." (Lewis, Short, A Latin Dictionary).

Herod was not a King (rex). Romans did not use the word Rex for a client ruler, as that implied autonomy. Rex was for independent allies (the King of Armenia, sometimes), or enemies (the King of Parthia), or historical kings (Etruscans).

Much, much, later, during the reign of Constantine and afterwards, the empire was divided into four regions with separate rulers in a (sometimes nominal) hierarchy. These four were also called Tetrarchs but had much more power.

In any case, Roman readers would have understood tetraches so there was no need to dumb it down to king.

All I have time for today.

-- Henry

- TW
    Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
    SFN Regular

USA
    532 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  19:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
    waltfristoe:
    quote:

9.Read a current version or the Greek it states "After the Sabbath,at dawn on the first day of the week"(Sunday)? 10.The Praetorium no doubt was at Pilate's residence because it's a term that had a meaning of "where the headquarers are at" so, like Air Force One is whatever plane the President is on,The Praetorium was where the Pilate was.I must say that these so called "Blunders" Walt don't even rise to the level of discrepancies.By the way Walt I haven't seen a response from you concerning my questions earlier,here they are again in case you forgot:[ DA: ]
    quote:
    I have some questions on your use of Josephus as a source for
    supposedly contradicting the NT.First, one of your own "Skeptics" ConsequentAtheist wrote a post on another
    thread(Was NT Written by Orthodox Jews p.9)where he claimed:

quote:[ ConsequentAtheist]

While I cannot speak to Philostratus, I would suggest that you are overly naive (read ignorant) when it comes to

quote:

According to Josephus the death of the 960 inhabitants of Masada and the destruction of the palace and the possessions were
    the premeditated acts of all the people acting in unison. But the archaeological remains cannot be reconciled with this view. ...

Josephus needs no apology for these inventions and embellishments since practically all the historians of antiquity did such
    things. But if an apology were demanded, Josephus could respond that his narrative required inventiveness. ...

- see Masada: Literary Tradition, Archaeological Remains, and the Credibility of Josephus

DA: my question to you is do you share this view and if so how is it you use a source with known historic blunders in an
    attempt to discredit the NT? Second,according to another one of your "Skeptics",Atomic if a historian makes ONE
    ERROR he is unreliable (DJREpt,5) do you share his opinion?

Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/14/2003 19:23:09
    Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
    SFN Regular

USA
    532 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  20:48:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
    tw101356:
    quote:
    5. The title Rabbi has been applied retroactively.
    Read the glossary (http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/gloss.html#r)

6. I believe a wall is what you get when you have at least 'one
    stone left upon another'. Jesus said there'd be nothing left,
    but there is.

8. The word tetrarch does not mean divided by four. A tetrarches is "a ruler who governed the fourth part of a
    country...in general the title of a petty prince." (Lewis, Short, A Latin Dictionary).

Herod was not a King (rex). Romans did not use the word Rex for a client ruler, as that implied autonomy. Rex was for
    independent allies (the King of Armenia, sometimes), or enemies (the King of Parthia), or historical kings (Etruscans).

Much, much, later, during the reign of Constantine and afterwards, the empire was divided into four regions with
    separate rulers in a (sometimes nominal) hierarchy. These four were also called Tetrarchs but had much more power.

In any case, Roman readers would have understood tetraches so there was no need to dumb it down to king.
    • 5. (Taken from your ref.)) Rabbi
      (adj. rabbinic, Heb., “my master”). An authorized teacher of the classical Jewish tradition (see oral law) after the fall of the
      second Temple in 70 CE. The role of the rabbi has changed considerably throughout the centuries. Traditionally, rabbis serve as
      the legal and spiritual guides of their congregations and communities. The title is conferred after considerable study of traditional
      Jewish sources. This conferral and its responsibilities is central to the chain of tradition in Judaism.DA: For the life of me I can't see what you claim in this reference that disputes what I said but anyhow here is a response.If you are implying(as walt said) that the term wasn't in use before AD70 you fall well short of proving it.Like the word president the etymology far exceeds our current usage(as the President of the USA)what we did ,like the Jews did at and after the Council of Jamnia,was to confer on the word a more authoritative connotation.
    • 6.Read the texts:Mt.24:1 "the buildings";Mk.13:1 "What kind of buildings";Lk.21:5 "some were speaking about the temple,that it had been adorned with beautiful stones" .Now it's true that that buildings have "walls" but walls(even "Wailing" ones) are not bulidings.
    • 8.You claim:A tetrarches is "a ruler who governed the fourth part of a
      country...in general the title of a petty prince." (Lewis, Short, A Latin Dictionary)
      .What I clamed was that Herod the Greats kingdom was divided into 4 parts,where's the contradiction??? I notice,in keeping the "Skeptical" tradition, that you bypassed my reference to Mt.14:1 where he uses the term "Herod the tetrarch (Matthew writing to Jews uses the "technical"term that they would understand) Mark doesn't use the latin word Rex, as you claim but the greek word Basilias which can mean King but also Royalty .Again your nitpicking.

Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
    SFN Regular

USA
    505 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  11:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by darwin alogos

quote:

[list]

• As to the Josephus reference, I never said he wasn't reliable. But whatever the case is, at least we know who he was; no one has any idea who wrote the gospels. They are completely anonymous.

And as to the Rabbinic references:

"When the Temple was destroyed in 70 CE, the table in the home came to represent the Temple altar. The bread placed on it came to symbolize the offerings that had once been brought to the priests. The Sages, who believed that the Temple and the functions of the priesthood would one day be restored, did not want the practice of washing the hands before handling an offering to be forgotten, and so the washing of hands before the eating a meal was strictly enforced."
    The Second Jewish Book of Why, Rabbi kolatch, pg. 323

Rabbi Samuel Lachs, another Talmudic scholar, summarizes two scholarly positions on page 246 of A Rabbinic Commentary On The New Testament. The later date position is Rabbi Buchler's, whose research shows the earliest clear reference in Rabbinic literature to a requirement that all Jews wash hands before eating to be Rabbi Akiba's time(100 CE).
    Zeitlin holds the earlier date theory which Lachs favors which argues that the famous "Eighteen Measures" instituted a few years before the Temple was destroyed (70 CE) can be used to project that at that time all Jews were required to wash their hands before eating. Both positions assume that the author of Matthew projected this practice into an earlier time period resulting in an anachronistic story.

The typical conservative Christian position is The International Critical Commentary's where they discount all non-Christian sources supporting a late dating of the custom and cite as evidence other Christian Bible passages supporting an early dating. This leads to comical phrases from the ICC Bible scholars such as "But the evidence form Rabbinic sources can be rejected because of doubt concerning its antiquity; and the other texts usually cited...do not prove what many have imagined".

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that the best source for information regarding Rabbinic practices would be Rabbinic sources.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
    Bill Maher
    Edited by - walt fristoe on 02/15/2003 15:56:35
    Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
    SFN Regular

USA
    532 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  20:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
    waltfristoe:
    quote:
    As to the Josephus reference, I never said he wasn't reliable. But whatever the case is, at least we know who he was;
    no one has any idea who wrote the gospels. They are completely anonymous.
    Walt,you seem to be a very intelligent person,so please bear with me as I remind you that I never said that you claimed Josephus "wasn't reliable".What I did point out was:
    quote:
    I have some questions on your use of Josephus as a source for
    supposedly contradicting the NT.First, one of your own "Skeptics" ConsequentAtheist wrote a post on another
    thread(Was NT Written by Orthodox Jews p.9)where he claimed:

quote:

quote:

my question to you is do you share this view and if so how is it you use a source with known historic blunders in an
    attempt to discredit the NT? Second,according to another one of your "Skeptics",Atomic if a historian makes ONE
    ERROR he is unreliable (DJREpt,5) do you share his opinion?
    The big difference is one of your fellow "Skeptics"(CA) pointed out a known historic blunder in Joe's writings and another (Atomic) claimed if a historian wasn't 100% accurate they were "unreilable".Again do you share their conclusions? As for me I share the view on this cite(http://centuryone.com/josephus.html) which in a nutshell states:
    quote:
    This duality of sharp criticism alongside fulsome appreciation
    has consistently accompanied the scholarly treatment of
    Josephus' works. It has not been our intention here to prove
    that he is always exact of correct in every statement, but to
    show that his data are in many instances accurate, and that they
    stem from reliable sources to which he had access from the
    very beginning of his literary career.
    The reason I ask is because it seems rather odd,for you as a "skeptic", to quote a "known" source which addmitedly has "historical blunders" in order to attempt to prove "blunders" in another source,The NT.

Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/18/2003 20:52:39
    Go to Top of Page

Slater
    SFN Regular

USA
    1668 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2003 :  21:55:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
    The criticism with Josephus is that the sections that Mention Jesus are not authentic. It is not a criticism of Josephus himself but of Christians who will lie through their teeth and invent evidence (much like you are in a habit of doing)
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
    Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
    © 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.7 seconds.