Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  07:39:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I just find it amusing that Captain Moonbeam has the nerve to talk about ad hominems when insults fill the OP - including one in all-caps.

Paranoid and hypocritical, nothing new here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  08:00:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I just find it amusing that Captain Moonbeam has the nerve to talk about ad hominems when insults fill the OP - including one in all-caps.

Paranoid and hypocritical, nothing new here.

Normal kook m.o.

1a. Make old absurd unsubstantiated claims.
b. Receive a thrashing.

2a. Become annoyed and resort to logical fallacies and bad netiquette.
b. Have fallacies pointed out by opponents.

3a. Accuse opponents of various fallacies learned in 2b.
b. Bore opponents over and over with 1a and 3a.

Have a look in the Religion forums for a case study.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  09:03:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Starman wrote:
quote:
Have a look in the Religion forums for a case study.
Just one?!? :)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  22:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Wow. See what happens when you take one little nap? I was up quite late last night getting my husband packed for his latest soujourn to the middle east, so forgive me since I seemed to have missed this gem.
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Moonbeam
Yet reading your denial of the obvious shows just how closed minded you are. All manner of reputable people have both seen alien craft

Indeed they have. I know many Air Force pilots who've reported what you call a UFO. An Unidentified Flying Object is just that: something that's unidentified. I've met pilots that admitted they felt pretty silly for checking out what turned out to be reflections. These are pretty rational people. Their lives depend on that.
quote:
and also even been taken aboard tham and been medically examined. However, you small-minded fools have never seen one so they must not exist.

None of the pilots I've talk to have reported this. Could you please provide something that approaches evidence? Anecdotal doesn't count, unless you want to include it for the entertainment value.
quote:

Rational BLOWHARDS like you used to think that rocks couldn't fall from the sky -- as if a bunch of craters on the moon were made by lunar ant lions! Well duh, of course rocks fall from the sky.

Well, since we no longer live in a church state, I guess rational thought and science have pretty much taken care of this one. And besides, I'd look lousy in a burkha.
quote:
And it is the same with UFOs. There are many, many, many reports of them, even by cops and astronauts,

Really??!! Do you mean these people might not be totally infallable and all-knowing? They may be capable of mistakes and misperception? I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked.
quote:
and all sorts of pictures, even movies.

Are you trying to say that all movies aren't documentaries? Dang. *Tosses Ring*
quote:
Like the CIA would not have discredited those pictures if they could!

Somehow, (call me crazy), I think the CIA is a little more concerned with nutcases who want to fly aircraft into buildings/blow up ports, than they are bubbas who've seen something in the sky they couldn't explain.
quote:

Also, there is all the historical evidence. Like for example the alien spaceship the Mayans carved and also the batteries found in Greece. Plus, why make giant animal and spider pictures in Peru unless you want to look at them from up above?

Still reading that Von Dankin(sp) dude? He's been debunked. I can provide you the links.
quote:

You folks better open up your eyes. And also start using your heads for more then hatracks. Where do you think the idea for many modern inventions came from?

erm. Someome has a great idea and invests a lot of hard work in it's devopement?
quote:
Like teflon for example. Hundreds of years of chemestry and teflon is found after Roswell? A coincince - hah, I think not.
See posts above.
quote:

You should spend less time debunking the obvious -- like rocks falling from the sky -- and try to figure out why the governments of the world are covering these things up. I feel very concerned for the future.

When did any governemnt cover up a meteorite? I googled and found nada.
Personally, I'd like to know where the Moonbeam person is getting his information. Obviously, it's from some woo woo site. Why does he/she believe this crap?
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  23:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Reeks of Troll here
Yeah, but Hugh the sock puppet was a nice touch
Go to Top of Page

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  23:28:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
Good lord, came by for the first time in ages, to see if anybody was talking about the stuff over at the BABB, and look what I stumbled upon...

BTW, the Critical Eye talked about Crop Circles, Stone Henge, the Pryamids, and the Nazca Lines last episode. Made the kooks look like, well, kooks.

"Ignorance has caused more calamity then malignity" H.G. Wells
Go to Top of Page

Jelly Fish

46 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  06:42:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jelly Fish an AOL message Send Jelly Fish a Private Message
Well ,firstly, fair play to Captain moonbeam for giving it some, but he's come a bit unstuck on the teflon issue (gettit..hehe).

Regarding when the Captain said "Just like the second Mars probe conveniently explained away the face as jumble of shadows." I would like to ask how it can be explained any other way. If you look at a photograph of that particular area of landscape that has been taken from another angle...guess what...no face! It really is just a fluke of shadows....a landscape where , agreed , from one angle there appears to be a face, but from another you can see it is just a landscape.
Maybe , Captian, you need to apply some rational thinking before accepting every conspiracy and alien theory that you read and are desperate to believe.
Jelly fish

Glendower..“I can call spirits from the vasty deep.”
Hotspur..“Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do call for them?”
Jelly.."Not a hope in hell"
adapted from Henry 1V part 1 by Mr W. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.