Our Skeptic Forums
 Astronomy
 Who is that guy on AM radio at nights?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hugh Jorgan

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  21:16:22  Show Profile Send Hugh Jorgan a Private Message
"Dreamland" or something? Whitley Streever???

Is he on to something?

Infamous
Skeptic Friend

85 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  22:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
You're not talking about "Coast to Coast" with George Noory, are you? The guy who replaced Art Bell?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  22:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Whitley Strieber claims to have been repeatedly kidnapped and probed by aliens. He wrote a book called "Communion, A True Story" about it. In fact, I think he sort of jump started the whole alien abduction thing. He also wrote "Wolfen" but does not claim that to be anything but fiction.

It was Whitley Strieber who claimed that an alien spacecraft was following the Hale-Bopp comet. He made that claim on the Art Bell show. Based on that claim, 38 people, crazier than Strieber, of the Heavens Gate Cult committed suicide because they believed that they needed to "shed their containers" to meet and enter the spacecraft and be taken to the Kingdom of God.

I would not be at all surprised to hear he has his own radio show now....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Jelly Fish

46 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  08:25:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jelly Fish an AOL message Send Jelly Fish a Private Message
Hi Kil,
Thats interesting about Whitley Strieber and his claims , and the subsequent suicides of the Heavens Gate Cult. It just goes to show that making claims without coming up with 100% proof can be very dangerous. Do you think Mr Streiber has any consciense about this?

Whilst on the subject of making claims, I just wonder about the claims of Bush and Blair who state that Saddam has weapons of mass destruction, and yet the inspectors have failed to bring, as yet, evidence to bear to substantiate those claims. Not even some other members of the UN are satisfied.

Say their claims remain unproven and they still wage war on Saddam (which appears to be what is going to happen, concret evidence of these weapos or not) , I wonder whether Bush and Blair will let the subsequent deaths of hundreds , possibly thousands , rest heavily on their consciense?

Jelly Fish

Glendower..“I can call spirits from the vasty deep.”
Hotspur..“Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do call for them?”
Jelly.."Not a hope in hell"
adapted from Henry 1V part 1 by Mr W. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  14:19:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
I believe it was Chuck Shramek who made those outrageous claims on Coast-to-Coast. Strieber simply helped it along by putting images on his site. I talk about this on my site at http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/news/heavens_gate.html

The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com
"With tremendous respect to [the] BA, the problem isn't getting scientists to talk, the problem can be getting them to shut up."
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  17:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
The Bad Astronomer:
quote:
I believe it was Chuck Shramek who made those outrageous claims on Coast-to-Coast. Strieber simply helped it along by putting images on his site.

Oooops. I stand corrected...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.