the moon's orbit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  00:07:21  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
I was just informed, much to my amazement, that the orbit of the moon is getting wider, thus the moon is moving slowly away from the earth. This seems contrary to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

Would some well informed astronomer please enlighten me about this situation.

much thanks

comrade billyboy

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  01:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
http://www.seds.org/nineplanets/nineplanets/luna.html

This is an excellent site with information on the moon. Now, I've only glanced through it since I can't run much of the multi-media on my computer. (Just can't handle it.)

Though I hope the BA will jump in on this one.

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  09:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
thanks trish, I'll check it out.[quote]

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  11:35:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
As far as I know, there isn't a orbit made anywhere that doesn't change over time....Moon/Earth/Sun/Milky Way/Local Group/Universe/Dog chasing his own tail....

Edited by - randy on 07/12/2001 12:33:02
Go to Top of Page

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  12:57:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
quote:

I was just informed, much to my amazement, that the orbit of the moon is getting wider, thus the moon is moving slowly away from the earth. This seems contrary to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

It's due to tides. For a longer explanation, ;-), see http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/tides.html.

The Bad Astronomer
badastro@badastronomy.com
http://www.badastronomy.com
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2001 :  09:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:
For scientific information, I always try to find sites with *.edu* or *.gov* in the URLs.

Of course, there are sites where there are legitimate scientists at the helm (such as BAD ASTRONOMY -- one of my absolutely best favorites) where we are lucky to have the information given at those sites. The universities and the government laboratories do not often handle the difficult cases which occur when dealing with the ignorance of the general public.

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2001 :  13:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Of course, you do not learn your science from chat rooms (scientific or otherwise). In chat rooms, the sky is not the limit and there is apt to be a lot of misinformation bandied around in the name of science. Therefore, be prepared and bring your science reference books with you.

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2001 :  23:54:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
quote:

Of course, you do not learn your science from chat rooms (scientific or otherwise).

True enough, but consider two, non-exclusice alternatives to my complete gullability:
1.its intresting to see what other people think and/or
2.i am kind of lazy

anyway, if an answer looks too silly i will ususally check other sources.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2001 :  23:56:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
quote:

Of course, you do not learn your science from chat rooms (scientific or otherwise).

True enough, but consider two, non-exclusice alternatives to my complete gullability:
2.i am kind of lazy

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2001 :  20:03:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.i am kind of lazy

comrade billyboy

Of course! It is a lot of fun to see what kind of thinking others are doing. However, to get the stuff you really want to remember, the great sites include .edu and .gov (for educational institutions and for government laboratories), and any other scientific site (such as Science online and Nature online). I have been warned about this by my scientist friends. I do not want to pick up any weird ideas. There are a lot of good ideas discussed here, however, and if you know enough about science, you can enjoy it here, too.

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.