And It's About Time, Too.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2001 :  15:32:51  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
According to my favorite source of paranormal info, The Weekly World News, the famous Men In Black are finally getting a less conspicuous look:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/aliens_story.cfm?instanceid=12388
quote:
MEN IN BLACK TO GET NEW COLORS!

WASHINGTON: The government's mysterious "Men in Black" will soon be trading in their traditional dark garb for the light gray suits worn by most other federal agents, a report claims.

The Bush administration reportedly ordered the change for the hush-hush unit responsible for investigating possible close encounters with extraterrestrial life forms, because officials decided a less conspicuous look was needed.

According to the odd report, which surfaced in a D.C. watchdog group's newsletter, Washington Conspiracy Confidential, some members of the elite organization are peeved at the switch to the blander color.

But the White House is sticking by its guns on its decesion.

"Whether or not these federal employees feel they look 'hip' is not a particularly high priority for the administration right now, an unnamed Bush aide is quoted as saying in the newsletter.

By Mike Foster

While you're there, check out all the other UFO and alien news, as well as WWN's world class coverage of psychics, ghosts, and weird religious manifestations. The cover story on the current issue is "Alien Skull Talks and Sings." Unfortunately, this one is not online yet so you'll just have to run out to 7-11 and buy it.

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2001 :  17:18:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Piltdown:

Thank you for the URL. This saves my having to purchase one. Come to think of it, the WWN should be a good conversation piece for the monthly meetings of my Skeptics' group. The difficult part of that for me is actually to buy the thing (in front of people).

Truthfully, I tend to get very bored with pseudoscience. I am a life-long science fiend and cannot break the habit.

ljbrs

*Nobody ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American public.*
(H.L. Mencken)

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2001 :  23:52:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
I buy WWN when ever I'm in a supermarket that carries it. I basically buy it and the Sun for the laughs I get from the absurd stories they put out. And the so-called "Prophecies"! OMG! I mark the memorable ones on any calendar. Do I expect them to happen? Absolutly not.

"When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not." -Master Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2001 :  02:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Thanks for the link Piltdown. I needed a good laugh. I especially liked the battle over the Russian Air Base. Hee, hee.......

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2001 :  03:24:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
Is that real?

Because it just sounds like one of those paradoies.

Abondon Drugs, say no to Religion
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2001 :  19:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
There is one thing this report forgot the mention: that the new attire is coming from China.

Speaking of China, what do their conspiracy people wear? Could they have the Men In Red?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  01:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

Is that real?

Because it just sounds like one of those paradoies.

Abondon Drugs, say no to Religion

Have you really never heard of the Weekly World News? Lucky, lucky, man.
There are people in this country (USA) who consider this to be the absolute tops in investigative reporting. Everything you always wanted to know about aliens having Elvis' love child. Three-headed babies. The world will end next week. (BTW, on the issues where they predict the end of the world, why do they still sell subscriptions?)
My grandmother loved that rag, along with the National Enquirer and The Star. She was Murdock's dream. She believed every word.
These newspapers are sold at every supermarket in my town. Number of stores that sell the Skeptical Enquirer: 1.
See why skeptics are held in somewhat low regard in my country? How are things down under?
(An aside here, I don't know if Rupert Murdock has anything to do with the above mentioned newspapers. All I know is that he's credited with the "tabloidization" of many media outlets. Grandma would have been a fan.)
Lisa

Chaos...Confusion...Destruction...My Work Here Is Done
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  02:56:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
I have heard of them before, looked too bad to be true to me.

A newspaper poll here (one of those stupid phone in ones which are as good as useless) found that most people do believe in psychic powers.

There's also quite a thriving UFO industry (but no where near as big as the one in the US) and of course the CSF, which BTW is very close to the ICR.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  18:54:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I can find WWN in almost every supermarket here, but not a single one sells Skeptical Enquirer.

-Timmy!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2001 :  00:15:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
No supermarket would sell the Skeptical Enquirer. Even the book stores in the mall were a bust. For about three issues, it was sold on base, but that quit. I was never able to find out why. A like minded lieutenant suggested the new Borders bookstore. Bingo! I think I'll end up just getting a subscription. Whenever I go to the bookstore for just a magazine, I end up spending over $50. Weak, I know.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2001 :  00:30:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
There is one reason you might find it hard to find any skeptic magazine and that reason is that generally retailers stock what sells.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2001 :  15:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
There is one reason you might find it hard to find any skeptic magazine and that reason is that generally retailers stock what sells.

Unfortunately, I find that a quite frightening fact.

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2001 :  19:51:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Lisa:

quote:
Whenever I go to the bookstore for just a magazine, I end up spending over $50. Weak, I know.
Lisa

Well, that is the story of my life. My family had many filled bookcases throughout our house. My brothers and I all followed suit. I try to stay away from bookstores, but they beckon. I do not have the heart to give away books which I have enjoyed. They have almost become a part of me. Sick, sick, sick...

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2001 :  12:19:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Well I did it again yesterday. Went to Borders looking for a magazine. The new issue wasn't there, but the store had Dr. Shermer's new book! Ed gagged a little at the hardback price, but then saw how happy I was. He said I looked like a kid with a new puppy. Guess I amuse easily.
Now all I have to do is keep my mitts off the book for about a month. I have a couple of all-day appointments at the VA toward the end of August. Those of you who have dealt with the government know what I mean. Always bring a book. And perhaps lunch.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2001 :  12:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Well I did it again yesterday. Went to Borders looking for a magazine. The new issue wasn't there, but the store had Dr. Shermer's new book! Ed gagged a little at the hardback price, but then saw how happy I was. He said I looked like a kid with a new puppy. Guess I amuse easily.
Now all I have to do is keep my mitts off the book for about a month. I have a couple of all-day appointments at the VA toward the end of August. Those of you who have dealt with the government know what I mean. Always bring a book. And perhaps lunch.
Lisa

Lisa,
I worked for them from 1989 - 1990. I know exactly what you mean. Oxymoron -- Government efficiency.

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2001 :  13:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
i like to post artices from WWN in my classroom. many of my students recognize the work as BS but some ask "is that really true mr. comradebillyboy"?

recently the WWN space alien withdrew his support of Bush.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.