Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pyrogenic

2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  11:33:52  Show Profile Send Pyrogenic a Private Message
Poll Question:
If the universe is expanding faster, rather than slower than before, as new research suggests, how will dark matter play a roll in the future?

Results:

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 0 counted  »»   Last Vote: never 

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  12:43:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I'm afraid our future transgalactic commuting costs will be going up, and up, and up - due to the expansion....unless they get all those pesky worm-hole gophers cleared out!

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  20:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
I recently read that the rate of expansion is increasing. The article posited some sort of "dark force" at work. Any good theories on dark matter? I've seen a fair amout of informed speculation, but I dont know what the most widly held view is.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  21:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Vote for option 4! I don't want the universe to collapse!!!!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2001 :  22:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:

I recently read that the rate of expansion is increasing. The article posited some sort of "dark force" at work. Any good theories on dark matter? I've seen a fair amout of informed speculation, but I dont know what the most widly held view is.

comrade billyboy

That reminds me,....gotta do the laundry in the back closet and the damn dishes.

Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2001 :  03:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
Isn't dark matter already playing a role?

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2001 :  04:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
I believe Astrophysicists are still trying to come up with a valid theory to explain this one. As far as I know, the "dark force" is the best so far, but nobody can fully explain what it is or what causes it.

-Timmy!
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2001 :  19:50:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
According to the latest theories, the universe is accelerating in its expansion and is showing no sign of deceleration. Now, of course, this might change. However, there is no data showing the universe's contraction. Eventually, all which will be left is positronium (gravitationally-linked electron/positron pairs which are separated by immense distances and which are slowly orbiting each other but will eventually meet and be annihilated before the universe finally blinks out). Then darkness...

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2001 :  20:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
The cosmologists/astrophysicists believe that the energy which seems to be causing the accelerated expansion of space between galactic groups is composed of what are called *virtual particles* (particles and their antiparticles which, together, come into existence and then annihilate each other immediately). Virtual particles have been observed in the particle accelerator experiments and are good candidates for the *dark energy*, which is not the same as the *dark matter* which has been measured as making up the vast majority of the matter in the observed universe. Of course, in science, no theory is set in stone. However, the observations are there. The universe is calculated as experiencing accelerated expansion. The data shows this.

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2001 :  21:40:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
quote:
Poll Question:
If the universe is expanding faster, rather than slower than before, as new research suggests, how will dark matter play a roll in the future?

Although dark matter which acts gravitationally in the galactic clusters is very important in that there is so much of it, it is the DARK ENERGY (variously called Lambda, Quintessence, Vacuum Energy) which is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the universe. It is thought that the dark energy might be the virtual particles/anti-particles which are coming into and out of existence incessantly (and are seen in particle accelerator experiments as causing an accelerated expansion.

NOVA was on tonight (just finished in my time zone), and it was about the accelerating universe. My absolutely favorite topic!

Some people are skeptics. Some, like me, while being skeptical, are very excited about the possible, rather than gloomy about the impossible. I actually do not get angry with those people who have everything wrong. I feel sorry for them, because they are missing out on so very much. The true believers in phony baloney are pathetic and are to be pitied more than censured. Science is an ongoing thing. And it is always coming up with fantastic things. One wants to live forever in order to know it all (which is, of course, impossible). I do not watch television often, so this was a real treat. Tonight's NOVA subject matter was not new to me, but I could see my heroes/heroines in action. Whee!

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2001 :  00:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
quote:

NOVA was on tonight (just finished in my time zone), and it was about the accelerating universe. My absolutely favorite topic!
ljbrs

i saw it tonight too. pretty amazing stuff if they prove to be correct. what a great puzzle, we appear to have a good handle on about 5% of reality. i was a fan of the "big crunch" idea, but we are not seeing much evidence supporting that idea any more.

the ultimate fate of the universe and the meaning of existance are examined very thoughtfully in the isaac asimov short story "the last question". asimov was a big influence in my evolution to athiesm.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2001 :  20:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
The amazing thing about this is that the scientists involved (cosmologists, astrophysicists, astronomers, engineers, et al., were expecting to be measuring the rate at which the universe was slowing down. SURPRISE!

They keep testing it and keep coming up with the same answer. The universe is not only expanding, but it is ACCELERATING in its expansion. Pretty neat stuff. Everything will all end up as energy in the very, very long run.

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2001 :  20:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
... Everything will all end up as energy in the very, very long run.
Good!

I'm getting to the age that I can always use more energy!

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2001 :  21:08:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I am way past that age and back into my fourth childhood. It is hard at my age to keep count...

ljbrs

Go to Top of Page

Megan
Skeptic Friend

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  15:09:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Megan a Private Message
Ok me only 14 makes me sound like a dummy when I talk about this stuff b/c I dont know as much as the rest of you here, but I still wanted to get my lick in.
Last night, I was talking to Lisa in her hot tub and we spent a very long time talking about the universe and pretty much most aspects of it. And did I get in way over my head! I really dont understand the universe and how it works. So when I read this topic, the first thing that came into my mind is, "How and why would the universe expand?" And after reading everyone's responses, I still dont get it! So could someone please explain?

And here is another thing: Lisa and I talked about other universes. Does anyone care to explain to me how there could be enough room for another universe??

And another thing: How can we take pictures of other universes but we cant take pictures of other planets in our universe??

AARRGGHHH!! I'm so confused when it comes to this stuff!!

-Megan-

I only do what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  16:40:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
Megan: Don't beat up on yourself. It takes time and patience to get comfortable with some of this stuff.

Human-scale spacetime is 4-dimensional but an honest physicist will admit that ain't nobody can really visualize 4 dimensional geometry--they can do the math and experiments and they comes out so precisely right that they believe it. But for visualization purposes they reduce the 4-dimensional spacetime to 3-dimensional models. In this manner, you might visualize our good old Universe as a sphere, and our 3 dimensions of space as the 2-dimensional surface of the sphere. To the creatures on the sphere, there is *no* up or down; they have only 2 physical dimensions. Their Universe is finite--limited in size--but unbounded, ie it has no edges. If there is another universe we, as 3-dimensional superbeings, might visualize it as another sphere that does not touch the first one in any way. But if we tried to explain its location to the 2-D creatures, they would not understand: "Huh? Our Universe has no edges, no boundaries, so how can anything exist 'outside' it?" If there are other universes other than ours, the one that contains Earth, the Milky Way, and everything else, then they are 'somewhere else' in the same sort of non-visualizable way as the 2-D creature's other sphere. They doesn't fit anywhere 'inside' our Universe.

As to expansion, it's thought that the entire Universe came into existence as a tiny point of infinite or nearly infinite density, which rapidly expanded. It now seems likely that a fraction of a second after its formation the tiny Universe entered a special physical state in which gravity was a strongly repulsive force. This sounds loony in English, but the math apparently makes excellent sense--it was kind of an AHA! moment in science when Alan Guth and some others realized that this completely theoretical but mathematically consistent model called 'false vacuum' actually has *exactly* the properties which would explain why the Universe looks the way it does. Anyway, if gravity repels then the Universe would inflate itself at a tremendous rate. But as it did so it would cool (anything which expands cools) and the cooling would cause the special state to suddenly collapse into the more familar mixture of matter and energy, with gravity a weakly attractive force. But the kinetic energy of that first tremendous expansion has kept the Universe expanding ever since. New evidence suggests that there is a small but steady acceleration in the expansion...perhaps a small remnant of the special repulsive version of gravity?

I can't easily visualize the expansion of the entire Universe, except by going back to the 2-Ds world. If their sphere is being blown up like a balloon, they could see the expansion because things would be moving apart. But if you asked them what their Universe was expanding into, they would come up blank--with no notion of three dimensions they could not see where the extra 'room' for the expansion comes from. Of course we're in a similar fix; we can't see where the 'room' for expansion of our 3-D Universe comes from.

I wish I'd thought of all this myself, but it's really just an inferior version of material from several excellent books. The best (imho) is by Dr. Kip Thorne, and it's called "Wormholes, Time Warps, and Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" or something similar. You ought to give it a look; it's not difficult to understand and Thorne has a wonderful way of presenting ideas simply. Have fun!

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.