Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  05:27:46  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Being an avid amateur photographer, I was thinking about taking pictures of my own ghosts, just to see how difficult it was. So, first thing, I checked the net for what 'real' ghost pictures looked like. I was floored. Excuse my language, but the vast majority of the shit was just that. Man, I could explain almost every shot with the common mistakes of beginning photographers. The small amount remaining were simply enough staged.

So, then, I decided to see what the 'experts' had to say. What I found was a plethora of How To guides disguised as "things to watch out for."

So, if you want to impress your friends and family by shooting some ghosts, orbs, or other various paranormal entities, here's how;

http://www.ghostsinternational.com/guide/photos101.htm

http://shadowgates.net/ghost_photography_101.htm

http://specterweb.tripod.com/specter/id3.html

And, here's some real B.S. for the skeptic to chew on;

http://www.4orbs.com/about.html

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  06:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to take advantage of the last big snowstorm that came through my area. I had planned to get my wife to help me get some pictures of "orbs." Dammit!

Waiting for next winter...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  01:06:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Being an avid amateur photographer, I was thinking about taking pictures of my own ghosts, just to see how difficult it was. So, first thing, I checked the net for what 'real' ghost pictures looked like. I was floored. Excuse my language, but the vast majority of the shit was just that. Man, I could explain almost every shot with the common mistakes of beginning photographers. The small amount remaining were simply enough staged.

Tim, no offence, 'cause I don't know how old you are or when you started doing photography but as one who's also a photographer, having studied it starting many years ago I could have told you that too. (one of my favorite parts of photography was working in the darkroom. you know you can get some great effects there.)
One would have to be blind or so gullible to think any of that is real.
So there you are, that leaves us with gullible, uneducated, easily lead people who want to believe in that nonsense. What can anyone do? They want to believe!
"Photos DO lie!"
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  11:55:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Snake, the BS is a simple matter to spot. This was just the first time that I ever pursued, or even looked at paranormal photography, other than aura photography. I just never realized or imagined how truly guillible these people were, and how unsofisticated the hoaxes actually are. Then, to find out many of these people actually understand what they are seeing, but choose to ignore the evidence somewhat lowers my expectations of human kind.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  16:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
There is a wonderful movie you should rent on the subject, a sleeper in the theaters. Fairy Tale: A True Story about two little girls in 1917 England who fool even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with their photography.
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  18:01:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

There is a wonderful movie you should rent on the subject, a sleeper in the theaters. Fairy Tale: A True Story about two little girls in 1917 England who fool even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with their photography.

From what I understand, Doyle wasn't all that hard to fool. He was an avid believer in the spiritualism of his day.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  01:17:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Snake, the BS is a simple matter to spot. This was just the first time that I ever pursued, or even looked at paranormal photography, other than aura photography. I just never realized or imagined how truly guillible these people were, and how unsofisticated the hoaxes actually are. Then, to find out many of these people actually understand what they are seeing, but choose to ignore the evidence somewhat lowers my expectations of human kind.

Oh, I understand, my friend. I've had those very same thoughts for many, many years. That's why I had the sense that you might be fairly young to just be awakening to it.
I don't really want to think I'm above most others but knowing there are so many out there as you describe, it's difficult to think otherwise.

On the other hand:
Isn't the world fun?! How boring if we only had each other to talk to and no one to be amused by or strive to enlighten?
For example, Kil loves to laugh at me, I'm sure he'd hate it if I suddenly agreeded with everything he said.
We are all on different planes, such is the way of life.
Deal with it.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  09:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
I'm sure he'd hate it if I suddenly agreeded with everything he said.

I dunno. Why don't we give it a try?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  00:00:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
I'm sure he'd hate it if I suddenly agreeded with everything he said.

I dunno. Why don't we give it a try?

Oh my lord! Stop the presses!! The heavens must be opening up!!!
Kil is going to become a Libertarian. (so we can agree for once)
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  00:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Slater, thanks for the lead. I'll check it out.

Snake, I ain't exactly what one would call young. I'm just easily intrigued, shall we say. Plus, I live in a small town in the middle of a giant swamp. So, I'm not exactly exposed to the world of high tech paranormalists. Man, ghosts and God are all the rage in these parts, but no one ever thought about having to take pictures of 'em. I mean, who's not going to believe a good Catholic, or an ex-Catholic born again when they see a ghost. Voodoo is real in these parts. It ain't a scene in a horror movie! We don't play the Delta Blues. We play Hoodoo Blues. The spirits are everywhere. Who needs one o' dem cam'ra t'ingies? Sa c'est de la couyonade!

And, I like Libertarians, as long as they don't start throwing that world free market theory crap at me. I prefer to hold on to what little money I have. So, one complaint ain't bad.

Go to Top of Page

Franc28

29 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  06:59:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Franc28 a Private Message
Shut up.

Anyway, wasn't the movie "Fairy Tale: A True Story" favourable to the paranormal ? I'm not sure why you recommended it, Slater.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  11:29:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Franc28:Anyway, wasn't the movie "Fairy Tale: A True Story" favourable to the paranormal ? I'm not sure why you recommended it, Slater

The movie was not favorable to the paranormal. While there may have been some ambiguity on the subject, I think that was to cause the audience to think about what Doyle had come to believe was a fact. (Doyle was a strong believer in all things paranormal.) Was the evidence good enough for Doyle to commit to such an idea? Houdini, a skeptic, was there to ask those kinds of questions. While the film did not take a sledgehammer approach to the subject, I do think the audience was being asked to consider the nature of illusion and realism, fact and fiction. This subtext may have been too subtle for some to grasp.

I too would recommend it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Franc28

29 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  14:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Franc28 a Private Message
BTW, I have a question on the topic of this thread too. Does anyone know of a skeptical FAQ on ghost photography (i.e. how to do it) ?
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  17:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Slater, thanks for the lead. I'll check it out.

Snake, I ain't exactly what one would call young. I'm just easily intrigued, shall we say.

Me too. I love to take things apart to see how they work. LOL, only thing is they never fit back the same way.

quote:
Plus, I live in a small town in the middle of a giant swamp. So, I'm not exactly exposed to the world of high tech paranormalists.

Oh, ok. That's why places like this are nice, we can talk to many people from various places to get other point of views.
I was born in Los Angeles, hung around Hollywood growing up, so expect everything is an illusion.

quote:

And, I like Libertarians, as long as they don't start throwing that world free market theory crap at me. I prefer to hold on to what little money I have. So, one complaint ain't bad.

Thank you. But not sure what you mean about holding on to your money. If people voted Libertarian you would have more of your money to hold on to. But whatever! That's for another folder.
Go to Top of Page

Franc28

29 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  03:09:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Franc28 a Private Message
Tsh, don't feed the statist trolls.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  05:02:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
BTW, I have a question on the topic of this thread too. Does anyone know of a skeptical FAQ on ghost photography (i.e. how to do it) ?

I started to check on the same thing. That's how this thread got started. Initially, I thought that there was some real talent required for paranormal photography. What I found was that the talent was a propensity to be a really bad photographer. The links I listed opening this post are basically how-to's disguised as advise about common mistakes. The idea seems to be, if you are careful enough with blowing smoke in front of the lens, dropping a camera strap or sleeve in front of the lens, or even having a dirty lens you can capture a real ghost. I shouldn't forget about water vapor or droplets on the lens, or even creative lens flare, (an old and cheap lens should work real well with this one).

As far as a skeptic FAQ goes, I Googled my ass off. All I could find was stuff from the believers.

If you are really interested in creating a convincing hoax, I would suggest practicing with artificial lighting, smoke, very sheer materials, home made filters and perhaps a filter spiked with a little vaseline with some unique lighting angles..

I don't use digital cameras, but these would definitely be the easiest to use for a hoax. You can actually see the finished product, and are easier to manipulate later.

On the other hand, a 35mm or medium format shot would offer much more detail, and be more convincing in the long run. Then, there is multiple exposures, and infra-red film that may add interesting effects. Plus, if you're like Snake, and can do your own darkroom work, you can bring out specific features, turning weaknesses into strengths, especially if you use very forgiving films like Tri-X. But, I know little of actually processing, aside from leaving my requests with a local custom lab.

That's just a few of my ideas. If anyone finds something specific on this subject from the minds of reason, I would be interested in reading it myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.