New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the human

Canada
1 Post

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  23:57:51  Show Profile Send the human a Private Message
Someone told me that some scientists recently weighed people imediatly
after they had died and they found them to be five ounces lighter. This person then said this was obviuosly indirect proof of the soul.
I have never seen or herd of this experiment anywhare I thinks it's probably a myth but if anyone would care to enlighten me that would be great.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  05:00:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi human. Welcome to SFN.

I hadn't heard of it, either, but it's probably been done. The non-scientific community has no monooly on nit-wits. And, it proves nothing.

How long, I wonder, after death was the corpse weighed (assuming the story might be true)? They certainly get lighter through simple evaporation, as the body begins the process of dessication. Immeadatly after death, a corspe will often get quite a bit lighter as spincters relax and the body voids it's wastes. Handling fresh dead people can be a messy business.

I think what we have here is little more than another, urban ledgend. And, as it's ancedotal evidence to start with, it's really no evidence at all.

Again, welcome. I hope you enjoy the place.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Avenel
Skeptic Friend

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  08:14:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Avenel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the human

Someone told me that some scientists recently weighed people imediatly
after they had died and they found them to be five ounces lighter. This person then said this was obviuosly indirect proof of the soul.
I have never seen or herd of this experiment anywhare I thinks it's probably a myth but if anyone would care to enlighten me that would be great.

Hardly recently. According to this article on the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance website, this study may have been printed in 1907 in American Medicine magazine. Also, James Randi's commentary for April 26, 2002 includes an analysis by a Hungarian student of an article on the weight of the soul, printed in a popular women's magazine in that country. In another commentary, for January 18, 2002, Randi comments on an experiment that supposedly measured the weight of the souls of worms.

"How many angels can swim on the head of a beer?" - Roger Ramjet
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  10:08:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message

Hi human!!! We like new members, especially ones who broach interesting questions, so welcome!

I think that if there were such a thing as a "soul", empirical science would have identified it by now. The fact that dead bodies lose trapped gases after expiration is no indication at all of any "supernatural soul". Unless the "soul" is defined as these gases. The only kind of "soul" I believe in is the musical kind!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Edited by - walt fristoe on 04/28/2003 10:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  14:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:

Unless the "soul" is defined as these gases. The only kind of "soul" I believe in is the musical kind!

Holy Smoke, Soul Man!
(sorry, couldn't resist )

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  14:24:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I first heard of this supposed experiment back in the early 1970s. Sorry to say, Human (hello), it was about all you talked about with your inquiry; that is, it was just a statement and no facts/evidence/data to back it up.
My guess it's stuff dreams are made of, same as so called souls.

Now, if a -real- scientific experiment -did- detect a "loss" of weight at the instance of the subject's death, my guess it'd be attributed to change - energy loss?, in bio-chemistry or the like. Any thing pointing to a "soul leaving the body" would just completely blow the doors off of any news the world of science and discovery has had to offer since, geez, since early man had thunk a thought in his haed?

Besides, what is a soul anyway? (rhetorical)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 04/28/2003 14:30:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.