Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Are there any examples or macro-evolution?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  16:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
You know there is a movement underway, even as we speak, to change the classification of Chimps & Bonobos from Pan to Homo.
Homo Troglodytes and Homo Paniscus. That should bring up some interesting legal problems

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  22:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
i just had sex with a chimp and it isnt pregnant yet. i'll try again later, all in the name of science

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  06:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Vegeta said
quote:
Have we observed it happening in nature? There's plenty of examples of micro-evolution, but without evidence of speciation the theory still has holes.

This line of reasoning is so annoying. Of course you are not going to see a completely new species developing in a short period of time. This guy wants to see a group of elephants give birth to a breeding population of winged horses to prove evolution occurs.

I guess by his reasoning nobody should believe in god until they observe him in 'person' performing a miracle.

There has never been a photograph of an electron (nor will there ever be), so I guess electrical therory has holes in it (no pun intended). So go ahead and stick your finger in the light socket.

Has anyone every seen a living giant squid? No. Well then there are living giant squids only dead ones that wash up on shore.

Do you realize that we have not been able to resolve a disk when observing stars. In other words stars when viewed with even the largest telescopes are only points of light. By your reasoning I am sure that the heavens could just be a big black blanket with pin holes in it.

I have never directly observed you - so I do not believe you exist. I refuse to accept the indirect evidence of your typing. It is probably just some computer glitch or bug.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  17:43:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
furshur wrote:
quote:
Do you realize that we have not been able to resolve a disk when observing stars.
Actually, Betelgeuse was imaged eight years ago, but your other five points are good ones.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  05:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Actually, Betelgeuse was imaged eight years ago, but your other five points are good ones.

I recall reading about beetlejuice but I thought that what was seen was just some darkening around the outside of the image. This darkening gave some indication that the actual star was being resolved.
I figured this was due to some fraying of the hole cut in the cloth draped across the heavens. But to limit controversy I will withdraw that point.
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  07:24:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
Have we observed it happening in nature? There's plenty of examples of micro-evolution, but without evidence of speciation the theory still has holes.

Say Vegeta,

If you're still in the neighborhood, check this out.

http://www.gene.ch/gentech/1998/Jul-Sep/msg00188.html

The article is 5 years old, but it should help answer your question.

In a nutshell, mosquitoes followed the humans underground when the London subway was built a century ago. They became so acclimated to living underground, both in diet and environment, that they could no longer breed with the same mosquito species that lived above ground.

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  20:02:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
furshur wrote:
quote:
I recall reading about beetlejuice but I thought that what was seen was just some darkening around the outside of the image. This darkening gave some indication that the actual star was being resolved.
If you look at the JPEGs offered at the link I supplied, you can see the pixels in the image. Those aren't JPEG artifacts, but come from the original itself. I count 40-something pixels across the face of the star.
quote:
I figured this was due to some fraying of the hole cut in the cloth draped across the heavens.
No, it's actually God's Giant Eyeball!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  14:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
I thought this was the Eye of God.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960118.html

Here's a close up image

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960209.html

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  15:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
you shouldnt get so agravated furshur, I believe in evolution, I just wanted to know if macroevolution had been documented in human history

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  10:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
you shouldnt get so agravated furshur, I believe in evolution, I just wanted to know if macroevolution had been documented in human history

OK, I'll bite. Just what exactly is 'macro-evolution'?
Why do you say you 'believe' in evolution like it is something that must be taken on faith. It seems like you need to have direct visual evidence of an event happening to accept it as fact. I do not 'believe' in evolution, I have examined the evidence and accepted the fact of evolution.
There have been measurements taken of the Andes mountains rising a few inches/year - micromountain building. But no one has seen over the written history of man the mountains form - macromountain building. I still 'believe' in mountain formation.

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
I'm obviously gonna put my foot in my mouth somehow if i try to explain it, so I suggest you read this

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0737_Macro_vs._Micro_Evol.html

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:46:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
BTW I dont agree with this guys stance on the matter, but he explains the argument pretty well

Go to Top of Page

Avenel
Skeptic Friend

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:56:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Avenel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

I'm obviously gonna put my foot in my mouth somehow if i try to explain it, so I suggest you read this

http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0737_Macro_vs._Micro_Evol.html

Same old same old. See here and here for good refutations of his comments.

"How many angels can swim on the head of a beer?" - Roger Ramjet
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  13:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
yeah i know that now, just trying to answer furshur's qustion 'what exactly is macro-evolution?' Which I think he knew the answer to anyway.

BTW I never said I needed to see something to before I believed in it (there goes that word again), I was saying that if an instance of speciation occured that we could observe, (ie. not in the fossil record) that would be much better evidence, and much more difficult to argue against.

For example discussions I've had with people have argued furiously that each stage between reptile and bird is a seperate creation in its own right, and I even saw some hick 'scientist' on TV saying "they just stuck a bunch of bones together."

I obviously don't expect to see cows growing wings or anything, but thanks to some of the more helpful members here I can now cite a few cases where simple organisms have been bred to create new unique species.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  05:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
I obviously don't expect to see cows growing wings or anything, but thanks to some of the more helpful members here I can now cite a few cases where simple organisms have been bred to create new unique species.

As far as having some 'examples' these are worthless. Just ask the people you are having the discussions with what evidence it would take to convince them that evolution has and is occuring. They will tell you that there is no evidence strong enough to convince them. I would bet my life that if a whole group of cows were born with wings and they became a seperate breeding population this would not be evidence enough for them. The creationists would say this was an isolated occurrance, a goverment conspiracy or a miracle of God. Creationism is based on faith therefore facts to the contrary will not change their minds.
By the way if there was any real evidence to counter evolution I would dump evolution. Human evidence in conjunction with dinosuars or trilobites found in rock layer above dinosuar and evolution would be blown out of the water for the vast majority of scientist.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.