Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  18:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Computer Org wrote:
quote:
This won't work unless I have the necessary recptors: You can blast a TV station at 100 megawatts but if I don't have a TV set I can't see your programming.
The necessary receptor is a brain.
quote:
Your "the stronger among us etc." contains an implicit assumption: We are all telepathic; some of us are just better trained at using the skill than others. Are you sure that you really can live with your tacit assumption?
No, I meant among us, the telepaths, not 'us' as in the entire population of the Earth.

quote:
On the other hand, you have made a good point. If 'they' are right and there is telepathy, then we can, in fact, be controled.

Xenophobia? Hmmmm. Perhaps for those of us who discover that we're being manipulated by strong (but unwanted) telepathic transmissions.
The whole point of this exercise is this: how can you tell the difference between (A) being controlled by telepathic transmissions, (B) normal impluses you might not want to acknowledge, and (C) insanity.

The 'joking' was to emphasize that, like an all-powerful God, a telepathic community with the power to induce and control thoughts can make the ability to tell 'reality' from whatever else might be out there impossible. If you posit the possibility of their existence, you also posit the possibility that you are simply their puppet, and cannot know it.

For all you know, Computer Org, the Earth is inhabited by 5,999,999,999 telepaths and you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  20:35:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message
I don't see why people would not want to be discovered and broadcast their powers on the internet simultaneously.

Go to Top of Page

shadowwarrior13

2 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  14:44:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send shadowwarrior13 a Private Message
you people

who said its not possible? you all are saying, theres nothing to say its possible, what there to say there isnt? you say, i havent seen it, it hasnt been proven, whine whine, blah blah blah, yada yada yada
i can do psychokinesis, telepathy, psiballs, you name it. anyone can. quite frankly, i think everyone here has their heads up their asses. you all get together on a website to what? bitch, whine, complain, just to sound superior? big whoop. you all just think its stupid because you think its not possible. why wouldnt it be possible? why dont you try asking the opposite questions youre asking? stony's right, we all lead normal lives. hell, im 13 living in az, goine to a normal middle school. i have friends, i go to dances, i get a's and b's, sound friekin normal enough for you? im not christian, yet i dont say there isnt a god. you all should just shut up about things you dont understand. and if you dont understand, try it. go to psipog, or another good website, www.theveritasacademy.net and try it.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  15:21:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Shadowwarrior13:

I think most skeptics will admit to the "possibility" of damn near anything. However, just because its possible, that does not mean that it exists. All I ask is for evidence. Since there is no real evidence for psi phenomena, my current take is that it most probably does not exist (outside of some overactive imaginations, that is). Show me some good reproducible scientifically valid evidence, and I am open to changing my position.

By the way, I checked out The Veritas Academy. Ask yourself just what evidence there is for any of the nonsense on that site.

Gotta go now. Time for another cranial-rectal inversion.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  17:01:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by shadowwarrior13
i can do psychokinesis, telepathy, psiballs, you name it.
Well, then... WHy don't you show us? Tell us how you do it.

quote:
why wouldnt it be possible? why dont you try asking the opposite questions youre asking?
Yes, why wouldn't it? And I think there already are people asking the opposite questions. But we aren't getting any answers.
We asked Stony several questions, but he Stone-walled us. Why don't you answer the questions we asked him?

quote:
you all should just shut up about things you dont understand.

We understand that none of you guys with psychic abilities will show us in a scientifically sound experiment that it works. That's pretty interesting, and speaks volumes of your alledged abilities.
quote:
go to psipog, or another good website, www.theveritasacademy.net and try it.

I just might.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  10:21:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Shadowwarrior13,

I have a 14 yo child, that would love nothing more than for psychic abilities to exist. She'd also like dragons and elves to exist into the bargin. But she has seen no such ability, in either her or any of her friends. They've looked and tried to develop such abilities. She considers psychic powers to be an impossibility now. Fortunately, she's rational enough to separate fact from fantasy, a valid literary genre. She also now realises that magic doesn't work either, at least not the kind in books.

A bit of advice, learn when to suspend disbelief, i.e., during films and when reading for leisure. Otherwise, reality is that which doesn't go away. I'd give credit where due for that bit, but I can't recall whether that was Clarke or Asimov - most likely Clarke.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  13:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trish
A bit of advice, learn when to suspend disbelief, i.e., during films and when reading for leisure. Otherwise, reality is that which doesn't go away. I'd give credit where due for that bit, but I can't recall whether that was Clarke or Asimov - most likely Clarke.

It was Philip K. Dick. But I agree, it could have been Arthur C. Clarke.
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Philip_K._Dick/
A Skeptic Friend uses it in his signature. I don't recall who right now.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  08:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W. last Nov. 17th

For all you know, Computer Org, the Earth is inhabited by 5,999,999,999 telepaths and you.

If you thought, Dave W., that exposing me to this decidedly frightening thought --- that I might be the only non-telepath on Earth --- would send me into months and months of near catatonia . . . . uh . . . . er . . . . um . . . . ah . . . . NEVER, EVER HAPPEN!!!!

Obviously you didn't think through the implications of what it would mean for everyone, but one, to be telepathic. For, after all, were I to be the only non-telepath and were everyone else to be active telepaths, then it must be the case that . . . .

Ha! Touche, monsieur!!

(Edited to add a date to Dave W.'s original post.)

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Edited by - Computer Org on 05/07/2004 08:28:30
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  20:21:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Computer Org wrote:
quote:
If you thought, Dave W., that exposing me to this decidedly frightening thought --- that I might be the only non-telepath on Earth --- would send me into months and months of near catatonia . . . . uh . . . . er . . . . um . . . . ah . . . . NEVER, EVER HAPPEN!!!!
That was funny as heck, Comp. A tip o' the hat to you for making me laugh so hard.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Littlebuddy

Sweden
1 Post

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  05:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Littlebuddy a Private Message
Well, out of a sceptical point of view here, I have a serious problem disbelieving psychic powers. One of the main things disturbing me is a problem my mom had a few years ago.
A "frozen shoulder" prevented her from using her right arm, she had been to 2 doctors who gave her some useless pills.
A co-worker tipped her on a place which was very good and had helped her a lot of times, too late she realised that this place was some kind of "alternate healing", Reiki, or whatever place.
Well, she was there anyhow, so she didn't want to piss the woman off, she followed her instructions instead and layed down on the bed.
After an amount of time with the hands over moms head, she said "It's going to hurt a bit, there", pointing. And indeed, a fraction of a second later she felt a strange pain, which disappeared as quickly as it had come.
Later, when the woman was finished, mom realised she had forgotten her wallet in the car, so she walked downstairs to get it, opened the car-door and took the wallet, when closing the door, she was shocked to realise that she had used her bad arm without feeling any kind of pain.

So, if anyone could logically explain that, possibly along with instructions on how to reproduce what happens in this and this video, I'd be grateful.

Linus
[Fixed link coding - Dave W.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  06:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Linus, a "mysterious" healed shoulder is just that: mysterious. One should not jump to the conclusion that it was necessarily due to any sort of "energy healing" or other "psychic" whatever, until such a time as solid clinical evidence of such effects can be demostrated. Nobody has done so to date.

The effect in the first video can easily be reproduced with a magnet under the table. The second, with a powerful magnet behind whatever that fake-fur things is behind the glass bowl (and a small piece of iron on the underside of the aluminum foil). Videos without context aren't much good for anything. At the very worst, the videos themselves could be entirely faked with careful Photoshopping.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Tavion

9 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  21:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tavion a Private Message
Hello, this is my first time to post here<duh> so hi, lol, anyway, im not really sure where to start, id have to say that I personally believe in "psionics" in a strictly scientific manner. I can claim limited success with certain areas of psionics, for instance psiballs, and some minor tk, and on one occasion a bit of remote viewing I suppose is what id call it. Even still I remain a bit skeptic in some ways, and believe me that makes it hard as anything to succeed at any of this. But like most things it will take time to prove it true, see you cant ever prove anything false, no one has traveled over the entire universe<and I cant really prove that 100% beyond a doubt can I?>, so it is indeed very possible that it exists somewhere out there, people can say aliens aren't real, and I can say how do you know? Have you been to every planet at every star in all the galaxies in the universe? Just cause I don't have proof they exist doesn't meant they don't,<and no I am not some big alien lover, I just saying it cant be proved either way right now> the lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, I understand that most of the skeptics here say it might be possible but they want proof, well I cant ever give you proof that will totally satisfy you if you don't want to believe I could put it right in front of your face and you can say o it is mirrors or magnets or something, no matter how many times I show it, you can make some excuse up for it not being real. For instance, I have witnesses to my success at tk, but you could simply say that I paid them to agree with me. The only choice we have is to be patient and continue to explore, I don't know if any of this made any sense to you, but I hope I have gotten my main point across it was the sentence LACK OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF LACK, there are really only two possibilities: Unknown and Universal positive, as soon as something is proved it moves from unknown to positive because there is some place in the universe it exists and we know it, proving something doesn't exist is impossible, instead work to see if it does, or totally leave it alone <o and one little note that goes back a ways on this site, someone made a certain comment: bumblingly incompetent anythings have taken control would pose a serious threat. Witness, as evidence, George W. Bush. think for a minute how much restraint Bush has shown, yeah, that's right, restraint, if he was a bumbling incompetent, then he most likely would have totally lost his temper and turned 90% of the countries over there that end in 'stan into giant piles of radioactive material, as it is he did the only thing he could have, imagine the reaction if he had done nothing in response to 9/11, the people of the US would have gone nuts if he had simply said "Now lets not get bent out of shape over this, after all we are infidels and they had a "holy right" to do that" the man has shown amazing amounts of restraint and guts. People want a clean war, they expected us to go over there kill the people responsible right away and the mess will be over with no problems from here on out and everyone comes home safe, that's a load of bull, the enemy shoots back, also, how are we supposed to find the people responsible? Can you do better? The only way to make sure to get them would be to nuke the place and then you'd be upset about how our bumbling president was being incompetent again, terrorism is a problem that must be completely removed or else it will keep coming back, and each time it will be worse, and filled with more hate than before...........I better stop before I get to many people ticked off>
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  21:55:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tavion

Hello, this is my first time to post here<duh> so hi, lol, anyway, im not really sure where to start.....

Why not start by editing your post into something a bit more organised, like a couple of paragraphs? Your post is very hard and tedious to read when it is all in one huge block.

That being said, welcome to Skeptic Friends.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  00:51:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
I can claim limited success with certain areas of psionics, for instance psiballs, and some minor tk, and on one occasion a bit of remote viewing I suppose is what id call it.
Excuse me if I am totally skeptical of this claim. I didn't read the web page on psiballs so that one aside, "some minor tk"? Like what you breathed and something moved?

quote:
I could put it right in front of your face and you can say o it is mirrors or magnets or something, no matter how many times I show it, you can make some excuse up for it not being real.
This is a big misconception about how science is done. There are ways to conduct such experiments that would exclude fakery. Perhaps you'd like to perform your feat under proper controls? Having a witness is not enough by itself, but is certainly important. You could earn a million dollars. Why don't you read a bit more about it at James Randi's site? http://www.randi.org/research/index.html
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/12/2004 00:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Tavion

9 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  21:08:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tavion a Private Message
sorry bout the lack of paragraphs, by the time i was done i just hit Post, and didnt stop to see how long it was, as for the minor tk, i didint explain very well, i meant i have moved only minor objects, and it was moving against my breath, that and i am skeptical enough that i constantly check by placing a small piece of paper, or my hand in front of the object first, to see if my breath reaches it, if it does, i move to where it does not, sorry bout that confusion.
As to the mirrors and etc. i was simply stating that if you dont want to believe no amount of proof will make you believe, there has to be some part of you, whether you know it or not, that says maybe, just maybe, or wouldnt that be cool if it was real, if your mind is dead set against it, well, there is no proof i can show you that will change your mind, that is up to you
hope this is easier for you to read.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.