Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  19:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Semi_Mysterious

i'm not checking this post ever, so don't bother, if you wish to speak to me, Email me at Reverse_Ages@hotmail.com

Another one. :roll eyes:

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  08:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

ComputerOrg wrote:
quote:
While "telepaths" might think of themselves as the next stage in human evolution, the rest of us would see them as dire threats to our very existence and the existence of our children. That "telepaths" might be an evolutionary step forward would be irrelevant; we, having seen the dire threat, would work rapidly and quickly to either control or exterminate them: There would be no leakers amoungst the "telepaths" and, thus, only a miniscule chance of leakage of any such telepathic program in the World's intelligence communities.
Of course, I, being a telepath, know this already, and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to either control or exterminate us, since we are already in control.

You only have an illusion of "free will." The only reason you typed, "You are dead wrong on this one, Dave W." is because I made you do it (I singled you out because you're one of the more "dangerous" of the homo sapiens sapiens around - and the word is in quotes because we control you, anyway). Frankly, I'd love to see you attempt to prove that you wrote those words of your own volition. We telepaths are far more powerful than you give us credit for.

In fact, this entire thread is designed to throw more "normals" off the trail. Look, Kil already thinks you're confusing fantasy for reality, just as we planned. We run the world to such an extent, I can leave this post here for all the world to see, and the "rational" among you puny-brains will assume that I, you, or both of us are either insane or joking. But you and I know the real truth, don't we....

Seriously, if anyone's looking for a definitive case of prejudice, I submit to you that "...the rest of us would see them as dire threats to our very existence and the existence of our children..." is it. True "telepaths," so far as we know, are a fiction, yet Computer Org has already condemned them.

Hey! When the heck did I pass 400 posts?!?

Damn you Dave, now there's coffee all over my keyboard

quote:
The 'joking' was to emphasize that, like an all-powerful God, a telepathic community with the power to induce and control thoughts can make the ability to tell 'reality' from whatever else might be out there impossible. If you posit the possibility of their existence, you also posit the possibility that you are simply their puppet, and cannot know it.

For all you know, Computer Org, the Earth is inhabited by 5,999,999,999 telepaths and you.

Psh. It's SO obviously the machines.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Phreak

1 Post

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  00:26:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Phreak a Private Message
I'm another regular at psipog. Many people want scientific proof and here are a few articles.

http://ppsociety.com/w_science.php

Many people are awear of the Randi offer and a few people at PPsociety who have tried and have not recieved word from him.

Just trying to back up Stony.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  00:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Do you have any powers, Phreak?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  03:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Phreak

Many people are awear of the Randi offer and a few people at PPsociety who have tried and have not recieved word from him.
Could you give us some examples of these ignored claims?
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  08:38:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Phreak

I'm another regular at psipog. Many people want scientific proof and here are a few articles.

http://ppsociety.com/w_science.php

Just trying to back up Stony.

Hi Phreak, welcome to SFN.

After looking at those articals you linked to I have to say I am not convinced. These articles assume that there is Psi powers and tries to explain them. The problem for me it the original assumtion that there are Psi powers. As far as I know, no one has proven that there are Psi powers. Until that is proven these articles don't mean a thing.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  08:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Some of you, most of you do not believe in the Ability of Esp,Telepathy. Yet in debating this matter numerous times with you I have learned that many of you have had these experiences. You name it random chance. What makes it diificult to prove is it's lack of repeatability, it's lack of contol or our lack of control of it. Like ghostly phenomenon science does not have an answer to this phenomenon, At least main stream science...
Well maybe I should say science does have an answer. Random chance.... Drafts in the buildings.. Simpliest answer out of the many it could be... Occams Razor..
You all know my beliefs .. I have never hid them... Studies have been done. just look at the different societies... I've give numerous websites... Read their journals... join there clubs... You might say why should I? Why do you think?
quote:
To greater expand your mind to the capabilities of the brain... your brain... and ultimatly yourself ...

Negative activities, thoughts, can cause negative responses within our selves, Think of how stress, anger, effects our blood pressure, some more than others. In turn we also know of how positive activity, thoughts, effect us. less stress, less anger, lower blood pressure. Imagine if we can transcend the body with the mind. Look at the phenomenon of poltergeist activity. Repressed teenage angst, mixed with high level of hormones... Look at outer body experiences... Astral projection... Have you tried it? Have you experienced it? These phenomenon are not new to man and mans thinking, they are very ancient. Do not limit your mind, your consciousness to just your body... I will not..
look at what science thought of mesmerism , what we now call hypnosis... Look at people like Daniel Douglas Home,Eileen J. Garrett..I believe that the psiorg is really trying to research the capabilities of our brain... Not fraudelant... Serious researchers..
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  09:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
This is likely a waste of time as Semi_Mysterious has no intention of following this thread. Still, I'd like some evidence to back up the claim that:
quote:
Originally posted by Semi_Mysterious
SKEPTICS ARE GAY!

A tip to "non-skeptics": If you ever hope to be taken seriously, please refrain from posting (even as a signature) things you yourself know to be absurd.

P.S. Nobody tell my husband I'm gay, okay?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  09:46:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Huh? What does this have to do with this thread?
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Huh? What does this have to do with this thread?

Well, it's contained in the signature of Semi_Mysterious (who, by the way is not crazy ) in two posts on the previous page.

I'd just like to know how he/she broke through my psionic shield to out me.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:25:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Actually storm we label it random chance because it is random chance, because if it wasnt it would be found that under proper testing conditions Psi whatever could be proven to happen at a greater frequency than the non-psi, this has never happened. You continue to claim it has but never show how, and what you have shown is total crap, made by non-scientists or scientists from the school of 90$ diplomas..

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  17:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Some of you, most of you do not believe in the Ability of Esp,Telepathy. Yet in debating this matter numerous times with you I have learned that many of you have had these experiences. You name it random chance.
Yes, because it sure as hell looks like random chance. It happens just as often as one could predict if the cause was indeed random chance.

quote:
What makes it diificult to prove is it's lack of repeatability, it's lack of contol or our lack of control of it.
Right.
This is what makes it un-scientiffic: that there is no repetability.
Unlike real science: predictability and repeatability.
Whenever someone holds a stone above your immobile and unprotected head and let go of it, science predict that gravity is going to give you a headache. Every single time.

quote:
Like ghostly phenomenon science does not have an answer to this phenomenon, At least main stream science...
Well maybe I should say science does have an answer. Random chance.... Drafts in the buildings.. Simpliest answer out of the many it could be... Occams Razor..

Indeed. Correct application of Occams Razor will strip any explanation of paranormal causes. Since there are so many simple reasons for people's experiences, they should not go out of their way to supernatural or paranormal to find explanations.

Check out this thread: Almost Woo-Woo stories. How things that initially have the potential/appearence of being paranormal or supernatural, yet in the end had a simple natural explanation.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  18:45:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
quote:
How things that initially have the potential/appearence of being paranormal or supernatural, yet in the end had a simple natural explanation.

I believe that telapathy is natural...
The other day I was at work thinking of a certain client who I had not seem in awhile... But not five minutes later she walked in... Random chance...
Some subconscious thought process that connects us... Some type of energy sent out...
I am not asking for paranormal or supernatural answers....
But natural...
Can the mind in a deep state of consciousness change the external world around them...
can thoughts be transferred to another without speech, only thoughts, through deep states of consciousness...
Is it only random chance because we do not concentrate, meditate, more on the desired effect...
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  19:00:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
I am not asking for paranormal or supernatural answers....
But natural...

Ok, I'll do my best to provide you answers based on everything we know about nature:

"The other day I was at work thinking of a certain client who I had not seem in awhile... But not five minutes later she walked in... Random chance?"

Yes.

"Some subconscious thought process that connects us? Some type of energy sent out?"

No.

"Can the mind in a deep state of consciousness change the external world around them?"

No.

"Can thoughts be transferred to another without speech, only thoughts, through deep states of consciousness?"

No.

"Is it only random chance because we do not concentrate, meditate, more on the desired effect?"

No! It's random chance because of the frequency with which it occurs matches what we would expect randomly. It has nothing to do with our definitions or how we "choose to label" things, it's strictly by the numbers.

Think of it this way. If you flip a quarter, it has an equal chance of coming up heads or tails--50/50. Now, what if I told you that with great concentration and considerable mental effort I could make a quarter come up heads 50% of the time? Would you be impressed?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/14/2005 19:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  19:18:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
You mock me with your quarter talk....
We are not talking about heads or tails...
That's so how would you say trivial..We are talking about concetrated thoughts through deep levels of consciousness that could possibly effect the external world.... the world beyond our bodies..
before you say no to the possibilities why not test it for yourself ? Try it with someone close ... I did...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds.