Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  11:27:44  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
With the recent launches of the 2 probes to mars we have embarked on an epic thousand year journey which will fulfill our destiny. I envision advances in all of the sciences. Medical science will cure all of the major deases. Computer technology will progress to the point that implants in our brains will allow us to comunicate directly to databases as easily as we recall our own memories. Through this linked database, and the implants, we will be able comunicate directly to each other by thought. Discoveries in phyics will allow us to completely understand all of the natural phenomina of the universe. We will become a race of beings who travel the stars at speeds never dreamed of. We will build incredibly huge space ships that encompass the thousands of years of accumulated knowledge from billions of people. With all of this we will finally be able to do what any race of advanced sentient beings is driven to do. We will travel for years through the cold emptiness of space to seek out other advanced sentient beings so that we can land on their planet and stomp out pretty designs in their corn fields.

Hey, it makes sense to me.

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  12:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
And here I was thinking the meaning of life was 42....

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  13:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Now, only to find those extra-terrestial corn/wheat fields. Maybe by that time in the distant future we'd be able to do something a little more macho like -- instead of stomping down wee-little grain plants, we could do our designs by stomping E.T. forests.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  16:21:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
...and welcome to SFN, furshur. Post away!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Storm
Skeptic Friend

87 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  18:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Darwin Storm a Private Message
I think the human potential is vast, but the stars are going to be outside our grasp for some time I fear. Barring an unexpected discovery in how to circumvent the speed of light, or heck, even approach the speed of light, we are going to be confined to the solar system for some time. I honestly believe we have a better chance of setting up habitats on mars than we do bridging the vast gulf between the stars. As for physics, I think we are at the beginning of the path, not the end. Much of the last 2000 years in scientific progress has been in fits and starts. In the last hundred years there has been concentrated effort and technology to persue scientific research beyond the obvious. However, there are far more questions than answers, and the answers we do have lead to more questions. I think the physicists will have alot of job security for some time to come.
On the other hand, I agree that humans will technologically improve drastically here on earth. Genetic engineering will probably become commonplace. There lies the potential not only to change the human species, but to create other sentient species if we so choose. There will be alot of morally quandry over those issues.
Likewise, the development of computers has alot of potential. Cyber-human interface may be a reality. However, I also think machine sentience is achievable as well, especially as nanotechnology and nueral nets advance. Again, I see a huge source of controversy. If we create sentient machines, what rights shall we grant them? Will we simply enslave them?
All progress comes at a price. Humans are often distrustful of change. I think that for every leap we make, we will face social consquences which in themselves , will be major steps, either for progress, or against.
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Storm
Skeptic Friend

87 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  18:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Darwin Storm a Private Message
All this, of course, assumes we don't destroy ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

wonkavision

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  11:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wonkavision a Private Message
I'm assuming that the original post was purely tongue in cheek and you are perfectly aware of the potential flaws in that prediction. It really made me laugh out loud, because here I was taking the statement seriously, critiquing the details until I get to the last clause. What a great statement on the absurdity of intention in the alien crop circle conjecture.

So shy a good deed in such a weary world...
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  12:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Yes, it was a nice set-up leading to the punchline (insert rimshot).

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  07:12:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Yes, it was a nice set-up leading to the punchline (insert rimshot).
I think that you're wrong, Randy & wonkavision.

I think that the "punchline" was just to soften the inevitable cries of GOOF!

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  07:20:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur:

Computer technology will progress to the point that implants in our brains will allow us to comunicate directly to databases as easily as we recall our own memories.
We are not far from being able to do that now.

But, by the way, would those "implants" be made of inanimate matter?

Minerals?

Perhaps, being loose with the definition of a silicon WiFi chip, ROCK?

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:14:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
But, by the way, would those "implants" be made of inanimate matter?

Minerals?

Perhaps, being loose with the definition of a silicon WiFi chip, ROCK?

So you say a computer chip implant is loosely defined as a rock. For the sake of argument lets say that is true. What is your point? Are you saying a computer chip is sentient?
You are so far out on a limb with this that I think you are going to fall. I just hope you don't fall on any rocks and hurt them when you hit the ground.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:19:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
You have already posited something that is inanimate yet can communicate. Add some processing capability to it along with a hefty AI program and you have a 'sentient rock'.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
You have already posited something that is inanimate yet can communicate. Add some processing capability to it along with a hefty AI program and you have a 'sentient rock'.

HUH?????

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  09:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

HUH?????
The implant. The implant. Remember?
quote:
Originally posted by furshur at top of thread:

. . . Computer technology will progress to the point that implants in our brains will allow us to comunicate directly to databases as easily as we recall our own memories. Through this linked database, and the implants, we will be able comunicate directly to each other by thought. . . .

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
First of all the post was a Joke.
Secondly, I said that with implants we can communicate directly with a database through thought. The key is that this fictional implant is a communication device. You know like a cellphone. Only instead of converting sound into an electrical signal like a cellphone - the 'implant' would process the electrical impulses of our brains instead of using sound for the input. An 'implant' of this type would be no more sentient than a cellphone.
Please don't tell me that you think cellphones are sentient.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  16:27:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No, no. Cell phones are not sentient. In this, they resemble many of their users.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.