Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Interactive SFN Forums
 Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Missouri sues TV psychic Miss Cleo's hotline.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2001 :  10:54:46  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Poll Question:

ST. LOUIS, Missouri <A href="http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/07/25/psychic.lawsuit/index.html">CNN</A>
-- The Missouri attorney general has filed two lawsuits against a television psychic hotline for false advertising, fraud and other unlawful business practices, alleging the company bilked consumers out of money and caused them significant injury.

The hotline advertises services by Miss Cleo, who speaks with a Caribbean accent and promises psychic and tarot card readings. The commercial, which has been broadcast across the nation, offers to "find the answers for free" with the slogan "Keepin' it Real."
=============================

So this brings us to the poll....
What would YOUR psychic call be on Miss Cleo's words when being served lawsuit papers?

Results:
Yeah Mon, dat daer es not my baby!   [7%] 5 votes
Dis deck 'o Tarot cards, dey defective! Not Miss Cleo fault   [11%] 8 votes
Back to Baa-nana boat,...Day-oh Day-oh, Lawsuit come an' I wanna go home   [14%] 10 votes
Call 1-800-UpCreek for your free psychic reading   [13%] 9 votes
Da power of learning da truth about the law is truly enlightening   [6%] 4 votes
Everybody, dey know dis psychic stuff is fake   [23%] 16 votes
I just knew I should had taken that nuclear physicist position   [26%] 18 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 70 counted  »»   Last Vote: 11/23/2004 21:16:23 

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2001 :  11:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I find it truly inspirational when charlatons such as these are nailed to the wall. I hope many, many more states will follow Missouri's lead and bury this company of psychic sleaze merchants.
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2001 :  13:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
Well, Missouri is known as "the show-me state."

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2001 :  20:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
On the other hand,

*Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.*

and

*Nobody ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American Public.*

(H. L. Mencken)

TAKE YOUR PICK...

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  21:32:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Oh, puhhlleeessseee!!! Remember the old SNL bit where the guys drive nails through their hands and railroad spikes into their heads and they're amazed when it hurts? This is natural selection. Feeling sorry for the "victims" of Miss Cleo is like feeling sorry for turkeys that drown in the rain. Like the lady herself says, "I con do baad all by m'self." The money they spent is the cost of their education. Clearly she did them a service. Betcha they all learned something.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  21:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
That sounds fair from a certain point of view, what Cleo's organization did was a crime and should be punished.

I'd like to see her burned as witch

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  01:48:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Just out of curiousity....what is the nuclear physisist position anyway?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  03:07:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
I hope its the one that invloves spheres of very enriched Pu-239.

Otherwise it might get a bit boring.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  07:48:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
C'mon folks, it's just supposed to be fun. I've seen her commercials, and they have a disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only". The woman is an entertainer. Heck, she's an actress. Nobody is sueing them for pretending to be something they're not.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  11:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
C'mon folks, it's just supposed to be fun. I've seen her commercials, and they have a disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only". The woman is an entertainer. Heck, she's an actress. Nobody is sueing them for pretending to be something they're not.
True, Wendy, but you'd be surprised how gullible some humans can be.

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  12:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:

Ya ever try convincing one of them James? They are morally superior to us little old atheists cause they got god on their side!

Apologies to any of you out there that are christians and aren't like this. You know who you are....

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  20:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ya ever try convincing one of them James?

No, I haven't and I don't have the time nor the patience for the HUMONGOID headache I'll get from that. Got better things to worry about...

And the signature is a part of a quote I found in another post on another BB I frequent.

I gotta start advertising this place and the other place I go to...

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  23:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
I gotta start advertising this place and the other place I go to...

Ya embarassed about it? Yeesh!

Humongous headache is right! Pass the aspirin.

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2001 :  20:45:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
Ya embarassed about it?
Nope. I have found that a few people here might be nice to post here: STO Talk
Thing is, though, you gotta post with your real name. The flaming is few and far between, thanks to a tough, but fair, user agreement, and a tough, but fair sysop. Great place with great people. Watch the politics threads, though. I consider them to be no-man-lands.
quote:
Humongous headache is right! Pass the aspirin.
Jumbo or Mega-size bottle?

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2001 :  18:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
quote:
...they have a disclaimer...

Do you seriously think that the fans of Miss Cleo would read the small print even had they the ability to do so?

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  02:50:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Do you seriously think that the fans of Miss Cleo would read the small print even had they the ability to do so?

No, they are the same people who buy mobile phones, then get all pissed off when they can't return it because of the contract.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.