Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Interactive SFN Forums
 Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Missouri sues TV psychic Miss Cleo's hotline.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2001 :  00:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
My mamma always says, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." (It sounds even better if you throw in an accent and add the word "babies" here and there.)

I realize there is no statute to provide for the criminally stupid, but sometimes I think maybe there should be. Everyone who paid her money to tell their future is a little bit smarter than he/she was before. Who says they didn't get their money's worth?

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  13:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:

My mamma always says, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." (It sounds even better if you throw in an accent and add the word "babies" here and there.)

I realize there is no statute to provide for the criminally stupid, but sometimes I think maybe there should be. Everyone who paid her money to tell their future is a little bit smarter than he/she was before. Who says they didn't get their money's worth?

Wendy Jones

quote:

Oh, puhhlleeessseee!!! Remember the old SNL bit where the guys drive nails through their hands and railroad spikes into their heads and they're amazed when it hurts? This is natural selection. Feeling sorry for the "victims" of Miss Cleo is like feeling sorry for turkeys that drown in the rain. Like the lady herself says, "I con do baad all by m'self." The money they spent is the cost of their education. Clearly she did them a service. Betcha they all learned something.

Wendy Jones

Oh? and let these scam artists just run free - unpunished?
Just how do you spell fraud, Wendy?
Ever hear of the law?

I take it you didn't read the link about the lawsuits filed against these swindlers and their illegal tactics.

My sister in had to fight these scammers on apx. $250 of phone billings to her private phone number that she NEVER made. It took her two billing cycles and numerous phone calls and threats to have the billing charges removed. She's rightfully had concerns about her credit, if these robbers may have mucked around with it. And she lives in the middle of donkey flats, Texas. How much more has this been repeated around the country?

Here's an update on the Missouri suits against Access Resource Services Inc. of Fort Lauderdale, dba - Miss Cleo:

http://www.ago.state.mo.us/080801.htm
......from a link at the site:
"Nixon said Missouri residents who have never requested services from the psychic hot line have received bills, including dead persons. The Florida business also charged consumers for calls made by minors without first obtaining parental consent even though the hotline advertises that its services are for persons older than 18. The lawsuit (-324K) seeks civil penalties and an injunction to prohibit the business from future violations of Missouri's consumer protection laws."

The more these bastards are hammered in the courts the better; sue 'em into oblivion.
Feeling sorry for their victims has nothing it.

-Randy

Edited by - randy on 08/16/2001 14:57:42
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  13:47:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Oh? and let these scam artists just run free - unpunished?
Just how do you spell fraud, Wendy?
Ever hear of the law?

I take it you didn't read the link about the lawsuits filed against these swindlers and their illegal tactics.

My sister in had to fight these scammers on apx. $250 of phone billings to her private phone number that she NEVER made. It took her two billing cycles and numerous phone calls and threats to have the billing charges removed. She's rightfully had concerns about her credit, if these robbers may have mucked around with it. And she lives in the middle of donkey flats, Texas. How much more has this been repeated around the country?

Here's an update on the Missouri suits against Access Resource Services Inc. of Fort Lauderdale, dba - Miss Cleo:

http://www.ago.state.mo.us/080801.htm
......from a link at the site:
"Nixon said Missouri residents who have never requested services from the psychic hot line have received bills, including dead persons. The Florida business also charged consumers for calls made by minors without first obtaining parental consent even though the hotline advertises that its services are for persons older than 18. The lawsuit (-324K) seeks civil penalties and an injunction to prohibit the business from future violations of Missouri's consumer protection laws."

The more these bastards are hammered in the courts the better. Feeling sorry for their victims has nothing it.

-Randy

I heard about the charging people for services not rendered. That is consumer fraud. Actionable by any competent District Attourney. Miss Cleo Know da truf. She gon lef town. If she knows whats good for her. On the other hand, I'd like to see the thief in Club Fed for 10-25.

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2001 :  05:21:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Thank you for the link to an update, Randy. I'm on my way to work right now, but I will make a point to read it over the weekend so that I can make an informed response.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2001 :  11:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

You caught me. No, I hadn't, but I have now.

quote:

My sister in had to fight these scammers on apx. $250 of phone billings to her private phone number that she NEVER made.

My question here would be, did a friend or family member make them from her number? If so, IMO her beef is with that person.

I am a firm believer in Caveat Emptor. McDonalds should not have to tell people coffee is hot. Preparation H should not have to tell people not to ingest the product. I am concerned that we are becoming a society too weak to take responsiibility for our own actions.

quote:

"Nixon said Missouri residents who have never requested services from the psychic hot line have received bills, including dead persons.

Okay, I'll admit that's bogus, and those persons (or their estates) are certainly entitled to recover their money.

quote:

The Florida business also charged consumers for calls made by minors without first obtaining parental consent even though the hotline advertises that its services are for persons older than 18.

This issue IMO is between parent and child. My 12-year-old daughter is often mistaken for me on the telephone. I do not believe it is reasonable to expect a telemarketer to be able to identify a minor in every instance. Parents need to take responsiblilty for their children.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2001 :  20:37:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message

quote:

You caught me. No, I hadn't, but I have now.

I had figured as such.

quote:

My question here would be, did a friend or family member make them from her number? If so, IMO her beef is with that person.

Wrong question Wendy, you just insulted my skeptic family. I say again, she never made the calls. Can you not understand this company is a scam and they are being taken to court for their illegal behaviors??

quote:

I am a firm believer in Caveat Emptor. McDonalds should not have to tell people coffee is hot. Preparation H should not have to tell people not to ingest the product. I am concerned that we are becoming a society too weak to take responsiibility for our own actions.

I'm sorry, what? You're changing the subject here.
Did I just read you had read the news link? What does your generalizations above have to do with Missouri's lawsuits against this company?
quote:

This issue IMO is between parent and child. My 12-year-old daughter is often mistaken for me on the telephone. I do not believe it is reasonable to expect a telemarketer to be able to identify a minor in every instance. Parents need to take responsiblilty for their children.
Wendy Jones

Sorry Wendy but the Missouri Attorney General disagrees with you.
If you haven't heard, breaking the law is frowned upon around here. I happen to be quite happy about these assholes getting nailed. Aren't you?
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  05:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

Wrong question Wendy, you just insulted my skeptic family. I say again, she never made the calls.

I did not insult your family. I asked a question. One you chose not to answer, which is certainly your right.

quote:

I'm sorry, what? You're changing the subject here.
Did I just read you had read the news link? What does your generalizations above have to do with Missouri's lawsuits against this company?

As I said in my previous reply, I am concerned we are becoming a society too weak to take responsibility for our own actions. I believe there are some people who will receive money from this judgment who should not... just as I believe that old woman was unduly compensated for burning herself on Mickie D's coffee.

quote:

Sorry Wendy but the Missouri Attorney General disagrees with you.

The Missouri Attorney General is certainly entitled to disagree with me, as are you.

quote:

I happen to be quite happy about these assholes getting nailed. Aren't you?

Randy, I am always happy when justice is done. You and I have different ideas about what that is in this instance. Wouldn't it be dull here if everyone agreed?

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  10:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:

I did not insult your family. I asked a question. One you chose not to answer, which is certainly your right.

The calls were NOT, I repeat NOT from her residence. Her phone account was charged for calls NOT made! Reread the CNN newslink. It speaks of billings to non-use numbers. Your insenuation that calls were made from her number to psychic services IS insulting. Take my word for it. Drop it.
.....from the CNN link:

(snip)
"The company also has billed consumers for calls never made..."

My sister nor her family, friends, cats, dogs, plants, or goldfish never made the calls! She, as I stated earlier was harangued by this company for over 12 weeks.

quote:

As I said in my previous reply, I am concerned we are becoming a society too weak to take responsibility for our own actions. I believe there are some people who will receive money from this judgment who should not... just as I believe that old woman was unduly compensated for burning herself on Mickie D's coffee.

Apples and oranges.
You're injecting something OTHER than what this simple topic is about.

THIS IS ABOUT A STATE SUING A COMPANY'S ILLEGAL MARKETING - BILLING TECHNIQUES AND FALSE ADVERTISING!

You're slopping the topic into something entirely different.
Open your own forum and tell us ALL you know about pertainent issues of the McDonald's scalding coffee case, the personal injury AND punitive damages awarded.
Your comparisons here with the McDonald's suit has nothing to do with people's own responsibilites and ILLEGAL business practices with this Access Resource Services Inc. company.

quote:

The Missouri Attorney General is certainly entitled to disagree with me, as are you.

You're pretty much all alone here, I'd say.

quote:

Randy, I am always happy when justice is done. You and I have different ideas about what that is in this instance. Wouldn't it be dull here if everyone agreed?

Wendy, I really don't think you fully read/understand the charges against this sleazy company marketing tactics. How can you defend billings to people AFTER they died, billings to non-use people, illegal calls to registered phone numbers on non-call lists?
Your point about juvenile calls is moot compared to the overall charges.
Missouri's Attorney General charges "94" VIOLATIONS of the law.
And you're just sluffing it all off as "different ideas"?

Sorry Wendy, I just can't take you seriously here.

-Randy

Edited by - randy on 08/19/2001 10:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  13:51:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Randy, the following is the definition of insult:
quote:

in·sult (n-slt)
v. in·sult·ed, in·sult·ing, in·sults
v. tr.

To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness.

To affront or demean: an absurd speech that insulted the intelligence of the audience.
Obsolete. To make an attack on.

v. intr. Archaic
To behave arrogantly.
To give offense; offend: a speech that was intended to insult.

I asked you a question. I did not insinuate anything. That you chose to perceive my question as an insult is beyond my control. I could read insults into many of your comments to me in this thread, were I so inclined.

quote:

Wendy, I really don't think you fully read/understand the charges against this sleazy company marketing tactics. How can you defend billings to people AFTER they died, billings to non-use people, illegal calls to registered phone numbers on non-call lists?

You omitted this portion of my comments on this subject:

quote:

Okay, I'll admit that's bogus, and those persons (or their estates) are certainly entitled to recover their money.

I'm sure the omission was just an oversight.

quote:

Take my word for it. Drop it.

Randy, I never take a stranger's word for anything. I was under the impression this was an open discussion. I will agree there is no point in you and I debating the issue further, as you seem to lack the ability to be dispassionate on this particular subject.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

Grand Nubian
Skeptic Friend

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2001 :  16:21:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Grand Nubian's Homepage  Send Grand Nubian an AOL message  Send Grand Nubian a Yahoo! Message Send Grand Nubian a Private Message
If she is going to jail, I'd better get my deck of cards and 900 number. Someone will have to make the money when she's gone.

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  05:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
Seems she ain't goin' to jail. I've seen her latest commercials saying that she'll keep doin' it no matter what other people believe.

Anybody got the number of the nearest SWAT team?

Prayer is nothing more than "spiritual masturbation". -theatheistknight
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  22:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I haven't seen the new commercial, but my husband told me about it. He says this commercial is only on late night/early morning, depending on your schedule. I was awakened about 0200 with him yelling at the TV "look you daft cow, you can't bill dead people for phone time!"
People like Hoagland bother me, Miss Cleo really sends Ed around the bend.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  09:28:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'd about bet that Miss C. is the most successful, tv grifter ever, . She has a great act and during her 1/2 hour, late night show, she really lays it on (I'm something of an insomniac. I see these things).

I suspect that, if she failed to beat ithe charges, MO gave her a fine that she paid out of her pocket change, then went on walloping the tarot. Does anyone know for sure what happened?

Pity.

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  13:29:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
quote:

Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott was also fond of this expression (accent and all)...

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  22:25:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Missouri fined her (or her company, whatever) $75000. You're right, that's pocket change to a company like that. They probably spend more on doughnuts. Now Oklahoma has hit her with a $35 million dollar suit. If successful, that could put a dent in the operation.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.