Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Interactive SFN Forums
 Polls, Votes and Surveys
 Missouri sues TV psychic Miss Cleo's hotline.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  07:55:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Missouri fined her (or her company, whatever) $75000. You're right, that's pocket change to a company like that. They probably spend more on doughnuts. Now Oklahoma has hit her with a $35 million dollar suit. If successful, that could put a dent in the operation.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

I saw the new commercials she's putting on. "I will not let them silence the light of truth."

The commercials are getting cheesier, this is a good sign. Is there a legal prosecution fund to assist in the case in OK? I'll contribute.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  09:07:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missouri fined her (or her company, whatever) $75000. You're right, that's pocket change to a company like that. They probably spend more on doughnuts. Now Oklahoma has hit her with a $35 million dollar suit. If successful, that could put a dent in the operation.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the new commercials she's putting on. "I will not let them silence the light of truth."

The commercials are getting cheesier, this is a good sign. Is there a legal prosecution fund to assist in the case in OK? I'll contribute.
---------------------------

Yeah, 35 mil might do it, assuming that she gets hit with that big a judgement.

I wonder just how big the corporations and how many other businesses it controls.

I'd like to see John Edward get rightously jacked up. Anyone who's never seen his act needs to. He's as slick as snot on the door knob.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  11:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Include Ms. Sylvia Brown in that too. This bitch (yes she is) told some woman, who's daughter her husband ran over with the truck and kill, that the child she was three months pregnant with at the time of the accident had had her soul replaced with that of her dead daughters. Now how fucked up do you think those parents are going to make that child?

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  18:53:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

Include Ms. Sylvia Brown in that too. This bitch (yes she is) told some woman, who's daughter her husband ran over with the truck and kill, that the child she was three months pregnant with at the time of the accident had had her soul replaced with that of her dead daughters. Now how fucked up do you think those parents are going to make that child?

I just hope that the child was over 18 and was out of the house when that happened.

S[beep]t.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  21:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Alas, any war on these blood-suckers is futile. Put Cleo et. al. out of business and five more per will arise to take their places. And be successful at it.

I really don't so much blame the grifters as the people that call in to them. There is where the problem lays.

Education is everything and logic is all, yet even some highly educated people believe in the occult. I find this bizarre. And illogical. And even a little scary.

Thus, the sooth-sayers will continue to thrive because there will always be a multitude of unfortunate people living with the drunken demon 'Hope', and want to get get ahead of the game the easy way.

There is no stopping it because we WANT it.

Remember Physic Friends? They were big, for a while. They went under and now there's a whole slew of new ones. Most, if not all, raking in the cash.

Damn, but I'm depressed tonight.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

jmcginn
Skeptic Friend

343 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  06:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jmcginn's Homepage Send jmcginn a Private Message
Hi guys I had to share this. I play fantasy sports (or at least used to) on Sandbox.com and of course I get tons of junk mail from them, well I can always tell when it is linked to them, because my user name has html tags in it e.g. [font color= for instance.

So here is a part of the email I got from Mrs. Cleo

Dear Font color,

We must speak with you. I don't usually take the time out to write a personal note, Font color, but your name was provided by someone you had recently spoken to. We believe your vibrations to be so strong that I've endorsed a free Tarot reading with one of our elite psychics! It's urgent, however, that you call immediately-I can only reserve this number for a limited time. Call toll-free 1-800-713-4366, now!

Yes that's right good old Font color is giving off psychic vibrations LOL :)

Your skeptic friend Font Color LOL

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  07:55:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
I just hope that the child was over 18 and was out of the house when that happened.

S[beep]t.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law

Nope, unfortunately - a babe in arms still.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  10:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Diis has beeeen covered waaal, honey chil', but aye must add me two cents.

It's not just her pretending to be psychic but not being psychic, it's other business practices.

quote:
In a suit filed in Jackson County Circuit Court, Nixon charges Access Resource Services Inc., based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, falsely advertises that certain services -- like tarot readings and psychic readings -- are free, and that no fees will be charged for the first three minutes of a call.

He said the company in fact uses the first three minutes to gather a customer's name and phone number, after which a caller is put on hold to wait for a "psychic" without being advised of the charges.

That, according to my primitive knowledge of law, is fraud.

quote:
The company also has billed consumers for calls never made or calls made by minors who did not first receive parental consent, Nixon said. The TV ads say the services are only for people older than 18.

Calls made by minors cannot be billed to thier parents because minors cannot enter this kind of contract.

quote:
Nixon also said the company has sent bills to people for calls supposedly made after their death.

Perhaps Miss Cleo can commune with the dead? Still, it's fraud.

If the allegations are true, of course.

"If anyone can show me, and prove to me, that I am wrong in
thought or deed, I will gladly change. I seek the truth, which
never yet hurt anybody."- Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  12:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
quote:

Alas, any war on these blood-suckers is futile. Put Cleo et. al. out of business and five more per will arise to take their places.

However, if fraud laws become enforced on these scam artists, then progress can be made.

A two prong attack works well too: legal action on one side, and public education on the other. Who knows? We can't just sit back, shake our heads and bemoan public ignorance.

The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com
"With tremendous respect to [the] BA, the problem isn't getting scientists to talk, the problem can be getting them to shut up."
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  15:16:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

I really don't so much blame the grifters as the people that call in to them. There is where the problem lays.

At last!! The voice of reason! Thank you, Filthy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Wendy Jones
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  05:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
I wonder why she didn't see the law suit coming?
I mean, surely it was in the cards/tea leaves/palms/chrystal ball etc etc.
They should round all these thieves up and show them the wrong end of a rifle butt, preferably at very high speed!

"Include Ms. Sylvia Brown in that too. This bitch (yes she is) told some woman, who's daughter her husband ran over with the truck and kill, that the child she was three months pregnant with at the time of the accident had had her soul replaced with that of her dead daughters."
that kind of tactic makes my blood boil, just give me half an hour in a locked room with these bastards. To pray on somebody at a time of crisis is fucking reprehensible and they should not go unpunished.
sue the fucking lot of 'em, i say

I believe in nothing; only my scepticism kept me from being an atheist.
Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  14:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
Psychic hotlines are a plague, yes. With stupid content aimed at stupid people.
They promise some unseen spirit or force will provide them with all of life's answers....oh wait, so do all religions. Using the same criteria for the lawsuit, we should litigate religion off the face of the earth. I'd say the Crusades qualify as 'signifigant injury', or maybe the catholic sex abuse scandal if you prefer.
But really what did Miss Cleo do that every priest, rabbi, cult leader, etc in this world doesn't? It offers easy answers (usually the ones you want to hear anyway) with nothing more than a little faith in the occult.

Be your own god!
(First, and only, commandment of Sollyism)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.