Page: of 4

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  18:46:48  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.thamus.org/eac/bible-apologist.html

This is great!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  04:17:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Since I'm not a native English speaker I dind't know what "apologetics" meant until I had read it here several times, and thought I needed to look it up in "concise Oxford Dictionary".

I sounded logically enough to me that any christian was apologizing for spreading irrational thoughts and ideas.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  04:33:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Who writes this stuff, anyway? And what is his/her favorite recreational intoxicant? Why can't I come up with good shit like that?

Thanks for the chuckle, Randy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Maglev
Skeptic Friend

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  13:49:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Maglev's Homepage  Send Maglev an ICQ Message Send Maglev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy
This is great!

It is! I like "After all, science is manmade, the Bible is divine."

A small project, if your week-end is free; How much time would it take to find someone unable/unwilling to see the sarcasm in this "guide"?

Maglev

"The awe it inspired in me made the awe that people talk about in respect of religious experience seem, frankly, silly beside it. I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day."
--Douglas Adams, on evolutionary biology.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  18:21:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
[hijack]

Maglev, your sig, especially "Garanteed to work for at least one mine!" reminds me of way back when Skylab came down. People were selling "Skylab Detectors," which were hats with a spike on top (something like this). The instructions said, "if a piece of Skylab hits the spike, it'll most likely hit you."

[/hijack]
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  22:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
How 2 b skeptic apologist just DENY everything u don't think could happen. A really openminded way 2 look at life.quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by darwin alogos

How 2 b skeptic apologist just DENY everything u don't think could happen. A really openminded way 2 look at life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a "skeptic apologist"?

Your statement is just as illogical as your signature.

Well 4 beginners do u KNOW WHAT CAN AND AND CAN'T HAPPEN IN THIS UNIVERSE APRIORI OR R U JUST GUESSING?

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Edited by - darwin alogos on 11/15/2003 19:52:34
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  00:41:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
why is it that everyone can bash us in the most personal of ways, and make us out as complete fools? yet if i even hint that you might be wrong your all on the defensive.

you act like i'm "insulting your inteligence", but then you can post something like that, and have it bask my intilect in every way possible, and have it be praised by every person on here. that makes me sick. it's the same thing as racism. and it makes me sick

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  05:17:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos

How 2 b skeptic apologist just DENY everything u don't think could happen. A really openminded way 2 look at life.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  05:22:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

why is it that everyone can bash us in the most personal of ways, and make us out as complete fools? yet if i even hint that you might be wrong your all on the defensive.

you act like i'm "insulting your inteligence", but then you can post something like that, and have it bask my intilect in every way possible, and have it be praised by every person on here. that makes me sick. it's the same thing as racism. and it makes me sick

And do you think that [i]we
are never ridiculed? I assure you that we get it in spades, long and often. Y'all outnumber us by a considerable factor, certainly around my neck of the woods.

I have no idea how many times I've been consigned to Hell simply for doubting, by otherwise reasonable, indeed likable people.

DA, why should I not doubt? I recieve outrageous, to me at least, claims backed by nothing but a single text offering little, if any, empirical evidence. I'm given fantastic stories of impossible floods, dragons, magic, manna and mayhem, divine death and resurection, and expected to buy the car outright, without having a good mechanic check out the mill, tranny, and suspension.

Yeah, I know: I got to have 'Faith'. I've heard that one before, too. I've also heard that Reason is the enemy of Faith. Seems reasonable.

Until something happens to alter my viewpoint, I think I'll stick with Reason. It's served me well for lo, these many decades.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  06:14:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

why is it that everyone can bash us in the most personal of ways, and make us out as complete fools?

Because we think that christian fundamentalism is foolish? Actually, it's your need to spread your ideas I find most troublesome.
And even more, your blatant disrespect for science.
quote:

yet if i even hint that you might be wrong your all on the defensive.
What else is there to do? You come to the forum with the most outragous stories, like the sun is shrinking and has done so since God created is 6000 years ago, or that the Neanderthal is actually Homo Sapiens Sapiens with Down's Syndrome.
By silently accepting the story uncontested we would as skeptics fail in our way of life.
By silently accepting your story, our silence could wrongly be interpreted as an endorsement of truthfulness of those stories. Either way is unacceptable.
quote:

you act like i'm "insulting your inteligence[sic]", but then you can post something like that, and have it bask my intilect[sic] in every way possible,

So, you are identifying yourself with Christian Fundamentalist Apologetics then?

It is a piece of satire. It happens to politicians, corporate leaders, TV & movie industry including actors, and everyone else who take themselves too seriously.
Christians are not singled out on this site. Just have a look in the Politics forum...

The Art of Comedy has a sub-genre devoted to making fun of disabilities (we have a word for it in Swedish 'lyteskomik' but it wasn't in my Swe-Eng Dictionary). In this case the disability is your lack of ability to realize that you are deluding yourself into believing that the Bible is the absolute Truth, and that Jesus Christ was the son of God.

In all its tragedy, we find that this tragedy can be somewhat relieved by the art of comedy.
quote:

and have it be praised by every person on here.
At least I praise it, because I feel it is a genuine piece of satire, and a lot of work has been put into it.

quote:
it's the same thing as racism. and it makes me sick

I don't understand this. How can you link this with racism?
I think your comparison is unfair, and I challenge you to prove your statement.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  07:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Funny site!

C88, I didn't find the site mean-spirited, and I try to be sensitive and fair about stuff (except with regard to Republicans, heheh).

Rather than complaining about being made fun of, why not think on the article? Take a hard look at some of the Christian illogic, inconsistencies, and justifications that the article points out?
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  09:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

http://www.thamus.org/eac/bible-apologist.html

This is great!

It took me to into Step 2 to notice that it was all a joke. Bah! It might be a funny kind of a joke if only I know what a "christian apologist" was. I was once accused on this board of being a "Christian apologist" and asked what was. (Don't feel alone, Dr. M. I'e spoken English all my life and STILL....) No one every explained an understandable meaning of the term to me.

As I have said elsewhere, I am not a "Christian" and don't care at all whether or not Jesus was the "Christ". Jesus read from Isaiah and "closed the book" --- which, it seems clear to me, means that the Old Testament's time was done and that Jesus was here to bring the New Way of doing things.

Having said that, I must add that today I happen to be wearing a T-shirt that reads:
quote:
Walk This Way

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind saying . . . "This is the way, walk in it."
Isaiah 30:21

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  09:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yeah, I followed that voice that told me to walk in it and I stepped right in it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  10:36:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Computer Org wrote:
quote:
I was once accused on this board of being a "Christian apologist" and asked what was.
Actually, no, your memory is faulty. I compared your speculations about what might have been had Thurmond been President to Christian Apologetics in your Strom Thurmond thread. But I never accused you of being a Christian Apologist.
quote:
(Don't feel alone, Dr. M. I'e spoken English all my life and STILL....) No one every explained an understandable meaning of the term to me.
Well, "How to be a Bible Apologist," even though it is satire, should give one a fairly good idea of what Fundamentalist Apologetics is all about, from the viewpoint of a skeptic. It's not a good guide to Christian Apologetics in general, since most of it is much more mild than the Fundementalist version.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  12:05:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
Also, while the piece is pretty good, it does appear to neglect the newest tactic of religious apologists, one that appears to be steadily growing in popularity.

Now, whenever religion and science 'butt heads', as they so often do in creation/evolution debates, it's fashionable for the creationist to mention a vast scientific conspiracy that supposedly suppresses any theory or evidence that threatens the current paradigm. Purportedly, such ideas are rejected not because they fail to survive the rigorous scrutiny demanded by scientific standards of proof. Rather, they are rejected out of hand, only because they don't agree with one of science's most cherished sacred cows, Darwin's theories of evolution.

Of course, it's just another variation on a very old classic. It's always easier to attack the motives or character of the opposition than to defend or critique an idea on its own merits. Still, in its newest incarnation, the old expedient does appear to be enjoying a bit of renaissance, and seems to be the argument du jour for religious apologists.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  19:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
OUOOPS I FORGOT HOW 2 WORK THE RESPOND BUTTONSOriginally posted by darwin alogos

Well 4 beginners do u KNOW WHAT CAN AND AND CAN'T HAPPEN IN THIS UNIVERSE APRIORI OR R U JUST GUESSING?

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.