Atheists for jesus (dot com)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maglev
Skeptic Friend

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  10:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Maglev's Homepage  Send Maglev an ICQ Message Send Maglev a Private Message
There`s a really good chance that you`ve heard of this site before:

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/

It looks serious enough... I'd really like your comments on this one, even if it's just a "seen it before"

Maglev

"The awe it inspired in me made the awe that people talk about in respect of religious experience seem, frankly, silly beside it. I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day."
--Douglas Adams, on evolutionary biology.

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  10:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Seen it, but haven't really checked it out much, thanks. Who knows what Jesus said even if he did exist and why would anyone promote what little we've heard about what he supposedly said?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  11:07:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Interesting.

What I like is that he attempts to pull what's positive out of Christianity (kindness, tolerance, a moral direction) and discard what's negative (the Crusades, intolerance, bigotry, etc.)

I stumbled when I tried to read the Biblical history stuff, though. I have no formal religious training--none at all. I was raised to believe in God, but in an imaginary-friend way, not really a religious way. I've attended Christian church exactly twice in my life, and both times I wanted to bolt for the exit. They sang Kum Ba Ya!

I've never read the Bible and in all honesty, my eyes glaze over when I try to read it or any discussion of it. It's hard to explain to people who've read it their whole lives and spent their childhoods in Bible study classes and sermons, but the Bible honestly reads like drippy, gothic, nonsensical weirdness to me. I also find it so dull that I can't wade through it.

Sorry to give you such a long background. I have no way of knowing if his interpretation of Jesus's words and life have any historical accuracy. But if he has the courage to break free of the dogma, he gets a from me.
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  16:55:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I liked the "Historical views on Paul" section, especially the Sagan quote (anyone who can use 'immiscible' in a sentence must be pretty smart, huh?)

I'll check out some more of it when I get time, and let you know what I think.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  13:37:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
Yes, I've seen this site some months back and had a short-lived email exchange with Mr. Schei, in which I sent three messages (as I recall), the third of which was never responded to - a disappointment, as things were just getting interesting. Perhaps Schei was offended by my questions, which I hadn't intended, or wishes me to purchase his book. I can post details on the exchange when I locate it, if anyone's interested.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  08:54:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maglev

There`s a really good chance that you`ve heard of this site before:

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/

It looks serious enough... I'd really like your comments on this one, even if it's just a "seen it before"

Different.

Not without merit. The Bible has been heavily edited through the years. Paul/Saul was the "preferred" person of the New Testament and was often referred to as having the "spirit of the Lord" possessing him. (So as to claim divine communication.)

He refers to using only those statements directly attributed to Jesus, the Christ. In this case, he is an atheist who likes the moral code and teachings of the character Jesus while rejecting the Paulist doctorine.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.